Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

opening a business

Posted by john kankaala 
opening a business
October 27, 2003 12:58AM
<HTML>i love all of you comments, ideas and so on,, i am going to open a mobile detail shop, and also do it from my home,, can anyone please give me ideas as far as start up costs, what to charge, and what chemicals to buy to start with, what tools ill need etc. thanks!! john kankaala</HTML>
Re: opening a business
October 30, 2003 02:27AM
<HTML>wow so much to say..........is this going to be your main source of income.. or a little side money...you can start with little or you can start with lots...hard to say without knowing more....A question like that can open you up to being sold everything under the sun. There are many levels in detailing...it takes time to build a strong customer base...I wish i could just hand you something real but it takes time to learn the many aspects of detailing....its like everything else, you have to work your way up...but it really boils down to.....is this a career choice?</HTML>
October 30, 2003 02:48AM
<HTML>John, I think the best piece of advice I can give you if your serious about doing this is to go work for a detailer in your area first , get at least 6 monhts of detialing experience under your belt beofre you start up on your own. This is the only way to learn, if you can get to work for a good detailer that is.

By doing this you will get to practice with the tools of the trade and the chemicals as well.

If your going to do mobile work, then you have to have a water reclamation system. I actually work in a fixed bay, there are much more qualified mobile guys on this forum who can fill you in on the specs. Simply, you cant be dumping dirty water in to the storm sewer either on the road or doing it from home.

Other than that I would suggest you find out just how many customers there are in your area, are there enough to support another detailer ? Call your local Chamber of Commerce and get some demographic info from them.

Jim.</HTML>
October 30, 2003 03:02AM
<HTML>You want to check with your local municipality government if you'll need to recover waste water or not. In my township, we're allowed to have run-off water to go into the sewer, since everything that goes in the sewer gets treated at the water plant. If you don't need this reclaimation system, you'll save A LOT of money. I don't see what the big deal is anyway with the waste water law because millions of Americans wash their cars in their driveway.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
October 30, 2003 04:37AM
<HTML>I am a mobile guy and I have learned so much here. I can tell ya some things NOT to do if you want...probably more than I can share on what to do.
I also have a couple things that work for me to get more work...and how to keep the other guys from getting it back. Every week or two, I get one of the other guys customers, they NEVER get one of mine.</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login