Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

questions to ask

Posted by Ed Dick 
questions to ask
October 27, 2003 02:17PM
<HTML>I would like to thank those of you who responded to my previous message, and am intending to visit some of the detailing businesses in town. If you care to respond, I have one more question.

Are there any specific questions I can as a detailer to get some hint as to whether I want him (or her) to do the work for me? (And if you have any, what sort of a response should I be looking for?)

(I do wish that at least one of you professionals lived around here. It would make my choice quite easy.)

Thx.

Ed</HTML>
Re: questions to ask
October 28, 2003 12:59AM
<HTML>Yes:

1. Look at the condition of the shop or mobile truck or trailer
2. Grooming of the owner and employees
3. How do they sound to you when they speak to you, someone you would
trust your vehicle with?
4. Ask the process they use to finish the paint. They should say we correct with compounds first; then swirl remover and polish and then protect. If they don't say that you might be in trouble.

5. Ask the process they use to clean the carpets. They should say they first vacuum; apply spot remover to get rid of stains; then pre-spray; then friction shampoo; and then extract and then vacuum again

If they do not give you answers similiar to these I am sure they might be giving you less then what you should have. A lot depends on the condition of your car too.

Bud A</HTML>

buda
October 29, 2003 02:59AM
<HTML>wow ED you dont ask much..........hehehehe........I would be glad to do your car for you but it would be a long drive for one of us....and it wouldnt be me.....lol.....excuse the humor...
If I remember right you just bought a new black car and plan to drive it for the next 10 years...Thats me...drive it till the wheels fall off...

Bud give some good ideas to look for...Im going to expand on it a little..
Before you stop at the shop make sure they have a finished car that you can inspect before hand, dont ask for one to look at or you might get their best and not their norm...in your case- a black car....black is the most difficult color to deal with since it will show EVERY flaw. I would find out what a carpet extractor looks like. bud has pictures of some on his site. make sure they have something that looks like that and actaully use it. Thats a corner some detailers cut and the customer may never know.
I dont recomend an assembly line process where more than one person is responsible for the care of your car. not to say they cant do the job right...for me I dont want anyone touching the car before or after me since my name is going on it.

There is one area that I will take a little different view than bud...and that has to do with compounding...This is why...In the wrong hands it can do damage that is hard to correct...I have had to correct these mistakes inflicted by the auto owner and detailers alike...another reason is you plan to keep the car for 10 years...compounding is a pretty agressive measure to have done over a 10 year period..Its use will result in the best job possible, but over the long run it will slowly remove paint...starting with the clear coat which provides the UV protection. No clear = no protection, and it goes down hill from there. My first rule is "DO NO HARM"
Bud did state" that it depends on the condition of your car." and that truely is the case, doing more than you have to can be potentially harmful. discuss with them what your trying to accomplish. Im sure if you show that much concern they WILL give it to their best detailer..find out their name and if they do a good job, request them every time you visit.

Hope that helps, and bud and I can still be friends. hehehe
pmack</HTML>
October 29, 2003 11:24AM
<HTML>Ed:

Pmack misunderstood my comment about the paint finishing process. This is the procedure to use on most cars that are a minimum of 1 to 2 years old. There is always light to micro scratches in the finish from washing; rubbing up against; drying with towels, etc.

Not all compounding is bad for a finish. If you want a perfect finish you need to correct; swirl remove/polish and protect.

Many detailers will give a retail customer the "wholesale treatment" that is, a one step that corrects; polishes and protects in a single application.

Problem, is that the product is poor quality. Or they will use the product and then wax over it.

What you want is a shop that can diagnos your paint finish problem and then tell you they will do those three steps.

Be sure to see if they have foam pads or worst case, a yellow poly/wool blend. Do not let them use a white wool pad on your car.

Also ask what grit of compound they will use on the first step? They may not know as most chemical companies do not use this nomenclature to keep the detailer in the dark.

You do not want more than a 2000 grit used, assuming the car is newer and the paint is in good condition. The best is a micro fine compound. Unfortunately, again, most detailers could not tell you if the compound was micro fine or not. They only know what their chemical supplier tells them.

Hope this helps you find a good shop. Where are you located? Maybe we can find you a good detailer in your area.

BudA</HTML>

buda
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login