Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

KNOWLEDGE is power. And it isn't always free.

Posted by Steve Okun 
KNOWLEDGE is power. And it isn't always free.
October 16, 2005 02:57PM
<HTML>Many of you have been broughh up hearing that there's a time to learn... and a time to earn. To most successful detailers, these two activities are continuously intertwined. Whether its new products, enhanced business skills or hands-on proficiency, learning is continuous and fundamental component of the detailing business.

I am sensitive to everyone's financial priorities and your ability to leave work and attend various shows and conventions. However, you may find it valuable to rethink how you consider growth within your business and view attending whatever events (shows, conventions, etc.) are accessable... and make every effort to attend.

Reason: Shows are where new products, concepts and tools are displayed. They afford professionals to see all the new stuff that's out there. It's one big show-and-tell. As well, it provides an excellent opportunity to meet and network with fellow detailers as well as explore fresh new supply streams.

This Mobile Tech Expo is great for mobile techs as well as fixed location detailers. ICA also offers some limiteerd exposures for fixed location detailers on a regional basis as well as a national show. If any of you are close to Las Vegas, Plan on attending the SEMA/AAPAA, NACE show on Nove. 1-4. It is the largest automotive aftermarket specialty show in the world, and well worth seeing. NACE is completely dedicated to the collision industry and a large component is bodyshop detailing and paint correction and protection products. I realize that few have the time or opportunity to visit many of the shows, but it's in your best interest to see as many as you can.

Many of you may have only a few suppliers, and they may be stifling your growth simply by inhibiting your exposure to things that compete with the stuff they supply. It is a standard practice for wagon jobbers and local distributors to try and protect their customers from exposure to competition. That's why its healthy to break out of your often self-imposed exile... and see what's new and worthwhile. It's even good to confirm that what you've been doing is right.

Additionally, you all have a non-stop show going on at multiple Internet websites. Check them all out from time to time... and ask for more info and samples, too. Many of the suppliers have found that the Internet is a far better way to reach their end-user audience, so they welcome your direct contact...instead of depending on your being served by a local wagon jobber.

The most powerful thing you should seek to enhance your business is KNOWLEDGE. Once obtained, it empowers you like nothing else can... and nobody can take it away. Instead, you reach a fresh new level of understanding and enlightenment. Get all the information you can, and layer it over past knowledge. Throw out the garbage... and retain the good stuff. They day you stop learning... is the day you draw your last breath.

Just a few well-intentioned thoughts...
-Steve

www.SMOKUN.com</HTML>
Re: KNOWLEDGE is power. And it isn't always free.
October 16, 2005 03:18PM
<HTML>I still cant get to the florida deal... GASP GASP thud.........</HTML>

WHAT!!! I MISSED A SPOT....How can that be im doing the car next to yours smiling smiley
October 16, 2005 07:08PM
<HTML>I agree with you , I find the trade shows helpful and a good way to network with people in the industry let alone find the lastest and greatest new thing or method's. Tomorrow ( 10/17 -10/19) starts the NorthEast Reg. Carwash show , it's mostly geared to car washes but there's plenty for detailer's to see. In this industry you need to keep up with the lastest information to stay ahead of the curve if you plan on growing . Knowledge is power and the key to doing just that.</HTML>
October 17, 2005 07:20PM
<HTML>STeve:

I agree with you too.

Been going to the Mobile tech expo since 2003. Even when I was doing this part time I went..

Have not made the bigger shows yet. Maybe next year..</HTML>

Auto Appearances Inc , Raleigh NC (919) 812-4759
October 20, 2005 01:30AM
<HTML>And too much Knowledge can hurt those around us, so we need to be careful what and when it is passed on.</HTML>

Detailing, An Art In Motion!
October 20, 2005 01:52AM
<HTML>YES, a very well posted commentary. Detailers need to learn and gain all the knowledge they can.

That is why the Kevin is sponsoring an all-day Detailing Seminar that I will conduct on behalf of the Mobile Tech Expo on January 12th from 8:30am to 5:30pm on numerous detailing subjects of great importance for a detailer trying to operate their business in the 21st Century.

If you are interested in learning more to go www.detailplus.com and click on Training Seminars. There is a fee but it includes a FREE admission ticket to the Expo..

You might also want to attend the PDTA Detail Roundtable that will be chaired by Mr Okum. There is no FEE for this session.

Regards
Bud Abraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS
buda@detailplus.com</HTML>

buda
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login