Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Windshields

Posted by Rob Marini 
Windshields
October 06, 2005 03:50PM
<HTML>This part always kills me. I do the windows and they never seem to come out good. I use stoners at the moment with a microfiber. still leave smirs. Any suggestions?</HTML>
Re: Windshields
October 06, 2005 04:39PM
<HTML>Dedicated surgical towels, washed seperate from all other towels, never use fabric softeners.

Two towels, folded into "quarters".

Mist the entire glass area, agitate with one folded towel, then wipe dry, going in the opposite direction with the second towel.

You wouldn't try to sand a peice of wood with the sand paper all bunched up would you?

The folded surgical's contact the glass evenly, both the agitation one, and the wipe off one.

Once one piece of glass is done, flip to the clean part of both towels, mist the next piece of glass "entirely" (let the glass cleaner do it's job of disolving the crap), then wipe with the "drying towel".

Never use a towel that has been used to remove wax, sealant, dressings, etc for glass.

No matter how many times you wash them, they still have some residue and that transfers out of the towel to the glass.

We make an aerosol glass cleaner, and many love it, but not me.

I perfer our concentate, mixed 1 part to 10 parts water, as aerosol's all have some components in them that on occassion seem to leave some residue behind.

ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it at all!
October 06, 2005 08:07PM
<HTML>Thank You. I will try that. Where can I buy Surgical Towels?</HTML>
October 06, 2005 09:09PM
<HTML>Ketch, outstanding technique, one we should all try. The immediate place I looked for the surgical huck towels was Ebay but I'm sure several online retailer's including AI have them.</HTML>

Nothing is good enough.There is always a way to make it better; a way which we must all strive to learn. ---Sir Henry Royce
October 07, 2005 12:51AM
<HTML>Towels BY doctor Joe
They sell recycled Surgical Towels. They come my the pound I forget how many pounds good deal.</HTML>
October 18, 2005 01:31AM
<HTML>DeIonizied water and micro-firber towel. Don't use anything else, I have customers begging me to clean their house windows because their glass is so clear on their vehicles.</HTML>

San Antonio Mobile Auto Detail
Martin Hernandez
[www.saMobileCarWash.com]
October 18, 2005 02:32AM
<HTML>Check with your local uniform company in your area</HTML>

WE DON'T USE THE &quot;F-WORD&quot; YA KNOW &quot;FREE&quot; A M.O.B BUSINESS
October 18, 2005 03:06AM
<HTML>Martin,

I was honestly thinking DeIonized water today when i was testing out my new 1:10 glass cleaner. Left streaks with regular water that i couldnt see until night time.</HTML>
October 19, 2005 01:28AM
<HTML>Rob:

Try distilled water. Maybe that will work. Think it is .59 a gallon.

Had a large job I was doing and ran window cleaner... Thankfully there was a super walmart across the street. I bought a bottle of 70% Isop. Alcohol and a gallon of distilled water. Mixed a 50/50 bottle. It work very well.

I sprayed the solution onto a window cloth. Did not want the stuff on plastic or the paint.

Do not use this on afermarket tinted windows. I heard it could harm them.

Just my two cents</HTML>

Auto Appearances Inc , Raleigh NC (919) 812-4759
October 19, 2005 10:28PM
<HTML>I also like what Ketch suggested... with one modification. Try applying the detergent via a spnge dipped in and squeezed out of a container of window cleaning solution. Box the window with the wet sponge...and then fill in the box. Follow up with a surgical or microfiber towel to dry and buff to a streak-free finish.

The reason I like to use an applicator instead of a spray is because the friction contact breaks the surface tension and removes the film. The drying action collects the dirty solution. No streaks! With a spray, you frequently do not spray all the surface, so when you rub a damp towel across the missed area, you smear the undisolved residue.

Surgical towels are a tight cotton herringbone weave that is great for hard surfaces like glass. A huck towel is a bar wipe is woven with absorbant ribbing that may leave streaks or lint.

-Steve

www.SMOKUN.com</HTML>
October 20, 2005 03:18AM
<HTML>Steve,

That really sounds like an interesting tip. Do you recommend a specific type of sponge to be dipped in the cleaner? I have dozens of medium sized rectangular sponges from a dollar store. Will these suffice just fine? I also have fancier applicator type sponges such as those offered by Black Magic and "sculpted" varieties from Top of The Line.</HTML>

Nothing is good enough.There is always a way to make it better; a way which we must all strive to learn. ---Sir Henry Royce
October 20, 2005 02:29PM
<HTML>Bill, almost any 3 by 5 sponge will work, just like they sell at the Dollar Store.

One word of caution, don't have the sponge too wet, and I would suggest that you do not use a glass cleaner with a butyl component, as it is possible that when it drips on some vinyl , it "permenantly discolors" the vinyl.

Over the years, several vehicle manufacturers have had concerns with "staining" of dashes, etc which was traced back to the butyl component used in many automotive glass cleaners.

I still perfer spraying of a light mist of glass cleaner evenly on the glass, spray the one in front of you and the one next to it. Allowing the glass cleaner to "dwell" and "penetrate" whatever film is on the glass, allows you to have much cleaner glass.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it at all!
October 20, 2005 07:34PM
<HTML>Ketch,

I definitely hear you on the interior glass. I think I will experiment with the sponge on the exterior windshield and windows only. I was thinking of using a simple alcohol:water mix and will be alert about any products containing butyl. I've been accumulating a lot cardboard legal pad backs from the office to use to protect the dash while doing the interior windshield.</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login