Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

How slow is winter business in Southeast and Central States

Posted by MacGregor 
How slow is winter business in Southeast and Central States
November 17, 2005 02:22AM
<HTML> How much slower is business for you guys during the winter? Winters like in North Carolina. Ive lived there before and noticed a couple detailers here do business there.

Does the business get slow or does it just die?

I would immagine that your good customers would be just as good during the rough weather, right? I mean Id think they would want there cars just as protected thru the rain, snow and road salt.

Do any of you offer "winter packages" to drum up more business thru that time of year?

Im asking because Im seriously considering getting into this business. And seeing how its getting into the inclimate seasons, Im trying to think of how Im going to get customers when the weather is bad. Im also wondering how Im going to make money thru the slower part of the season.

Thanks in advance for any replys

If your in the mood to answer more of my questions smiling smiley Go to the following link (my first post)
[www.web-cars.com];
Re: How slow is winter business in Southeast and Central States
November 17, 2005 01:29PM
<HTML>I'm not sure what others will say, but my best advice to you is to spend the winter preparing and open your business in the spring.

I'm in Southern Indiana and our winters here are probably about mid-range. Much colder than the South, some snow but nothing like farther North.

I opened the shop in October three years ago. My thinking was that the weather was too cold for folks to wash their cars outside, the kids were back in school, and it should be a perfect time for people to look for a place to have their vehicles cleaned.

The things I didn't consider were that people who are used to paying to have their cars cleaned are probably already using someone else, people who aren't used to paying to have their cars cleaned don't much care how they look in the winter (a drive thru on a sunny day will be fine), and how long it takes to build a customer base.

Don't get me wrong, we had some customers that first winter and many of them are still customers today. We just didn't have near enough to pay the expenses let alone make a profit.

Fortunately I had another company that was profitable and kept the shop going but, if I'd had to rely on the shop alone, I'd have lost my butt.

I'd have been waaaay ahead, money wise, if I'd waited until March or April to open, when people have cleaning more on their minds.

Having said that, over the first spring, summer, and fall we were able to build a strong customer base and the second winter business hardly dropped off at all. The only slow time we had was the week before Christmas when there was 12"+ of snow on the ground. Of course, that closed almost every business...not just ours.

Also, I'm talking about a fixed location...not mobile. I really don't see how those mobile guys do it any time of the year!

Steve Bough
The Shine Shop
Jasper, IN

PDTA Member</HTML>
November 18, 2005 01:08PM
<HTML>I am located in Vermont, I can run mobile up until Thanksgiving. Typically I shut down in the winter and snowboard. I have had a few customers who have their own heated garage's at their home and I would go there and work once or twice a month. If you are going to get through the winter anywhere north of the mason dixon line YOU WILL NEED A SHOP. Yeah you could work outside with gloves and a water heater etc but I have never been in a good mood freezing my bolts off out in the blowing freezing weather. If you can't layout the cash to rent a single car bay/garage storefront look at some dealers or othe businesses that may have a bay for rent.
This winter I will be heading to Florida to open a mobile boat detailing business, I have one guy staying in Vermont to open a shop that we are renting from a local dealership to keep my regular clients happy.</HTML>

Keith
Details on Demand Inc.
Mobile Auto and Boat Detailing
November 18, 2005 03:23PM
<HTML>I am located in Boston myself. This winter i am going to work on a new business and marketing plan so that I can make the best of the good months, and not waste any time.

Keith: How did you go about finding a dealer who was renting out a bay? Classifieds?</HTML>
November 18, 2005 06:39PM
<HTML> After reading steves post and getting some pretty cold weather here in Kentucky, I realized how crazy a mobile outfit would be to work outside in this weather.

Keith, snowboard all winter sounds good to me smiling smiley
I wish you well on your new venture down in FL.

For now my plan is to learn the trade and the business. I know alot of the doctors, pharmacist, and older wealthy familys in the area. I plan on doing some referral business just to show them what I can do and in the meantime Im looking into getting a very small shop.

Come tax time next year Im going to take my experience, my tax refund and hook up with a friends shop in North Carolina that installs all the car extras (sunroofs,pinstripping etc etc). Im hoping we can both refer eachother enough business that it will be very profitable for both of us....or I can rent part of there shop from them. I also have a friend with a body shop in the same area. There are alot of possiblities and Im excited.

You guys that wait out the winter---how can you afford that?
Do you save thru the warmer weather or do you have some other work to tide you thru the cold season?

Thanks for your replies</HTML>
November 19, 2005 02:37AM
<HTML>MacGregor :

I am in Raleigh NC, and yes business slows down a good bit in Dec, Jan, Feb...

I work on marketing and I have other legal ways I make money whenever business is slow thru out the year.

So where is the shop you are talking about in NC???</HTML>

Auto Appearances Inc , Raleigh NC (919) 812-4759
November 19, 2005 01:25PM
<HTML>Im in Destin,FL. While the temps are dropping below 40 degrees, we are still working 6 days a week and booked a few weeks out. The cold weather doesnt really effect us much down here. A good friend of mine in Gergia shop is still goining strong as well. I agree with the above post about using the winter to get your ducks in a row for the spring. If I had more down time, Id be constantly working on more projects. I wish everyone with the harsh winters best of luck!</HTML>

www.seabreezedetailing.com
Seabreeze Mobile Detailing, Inc.
Destin, Florida
November 19, 2005 11:11PM
<HTML>
Auto Appearances -Hickory is where Ill be going. In other words far far away from your clients in Raleigh hehe smiling smiley

Thats all if goes well. I need to learn the craft first, write a business plan and get some other ducks in a row. For the time being Im doing really detailed car washes but not "detailing". Im taking the money I make from that and buying chemicals that some of the detailers have recommended.</HTML>
November 20, 2005 03:46AM
<HTML> MacGregor:

I know few guys that have shops in that area...

Could you pm me the name of the shop...
Maybe i'll stop up once you are settled in.

Thanks</HTML>

Auto Appearances Inc , Raleigh NC (919) 812-4759
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login