Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Taking over shop

Posted by Mike Miller 
Taking over shop
February 12, 2006 02:26AM
<HTML>Hi I looked some but didn't find exactly what I was looking for. So if its here and I missed it and am asking redundant questions let me apologize in advance.
My situation is I was hired as a manger for the detail shop at a local auto dealership. We do anything from a quick wash and vac to complete reconditioning of trade and auction vehicles, we also do customer cars too.
I was brought in to manage, increase effeciency, and add components( paintless dent repair, etc) to the shop as things get turned around.
My main questions are
a. Steam Vs. Extractors. We have an old extractor( not in use) and 2 steam machines that they are currently using pros and cons of both.
b.time saving tips. currently its taking an average of 6-8 man hours per vehicle and another 30 min of me checking it and fixing what was missed.
c. anything else you would want to tell me to help out would be greatly appreciated</HTML>
Re: Taking over shop
February 12, 2006 03:12AM
<HTML>The best bet would be for you to hire a auto detailing consultant.

One this board we have Steve Okun and Bud Abraham.</HTML>

-----------------------------------------------------

Plays in the rain --- www.SuperiorShineDetailing.com
February 12, 2006 06:24PM
<HTML>
what is your experience in detailing?

If you have not started the job, you need to do the following

Take the following detailing courses
Automotive International (prep-excellence)
Right Look
Kevin Farrell
Purchase all video tapes available from the above
Purchase all videos, books from Detail plus
Attend ICA car wash convention in March
subscribe to every automotive magazine
auto laundry
modern car care
Detailers digest
professional car wash magazine
all of these have articles you can read
all your distributors give training courses take them

READ READ READ READ READ READ READ everything you can
PICK UP THE PHONE AND CALL PEOPLE ACROSS THE COUNTRY AND ASK ADVICE.
JOIN THE PDTA
BEFORE YOU BEGIN TO ADD ON - WINDSHIELD REPAIR, PAINTLESS DENT REMOVAL, LEATHER REPAIR...INTERVIEW VENDORS AND NEGOTIATE EXCELLENT SUB CONTRACT PRICES...YOU CAN BRING THESE ON-STREAM SLOWLY but it is better to be a master of all trades slowly than jack of none

I do not care what anyone else tells you you need good extraction machines and you can acquire steam machines but if you do not have the money the extraction is vital...purchase from a local supplier and research before you decide and request that they give you the machines on demo for a few days.

Never purchase checmicals from any chemical supply company without a sample you can test out

You need to develop a system and you train, train, train your employees to do work that is exemplary once they understand what clean is you can adjust, cut back and you will still be in the good range

There is nothing wrong in cleaning a vehicle for 8 hours if it needs it.. but you must be adequately compensated

Manage your labor% well so that you remain profitable

If you workers are not following the instructions and training you have instituted..examine your communication style or cut them immediately and move on

Once you have given yourself a crash course on everything and you still need help then acquire the services of a consultant, but you can't ask someone to consult if you don't know about your own industry

good luck</HTML>
February 13, 2006 04:24AM
<HTML>I have minor experience in actual detailing, I was brought in for my experience in problem solving, increasing productivity,managing difficult situtations, and management experience. I appreciate the help and the leads on resources. I agree to be a master of a trade first and thats what i intend on doing. We already have subs that do the other stuff those are things management wants to add as time progresses. I'm sure I will be picking your brains as time passes but you've given me a good start.

thanks a bunch

m</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login