Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Info on Airplane Detailing???????????

Posted by Ryan S 
Info on Airplane Detailing???????????
November 01, 2003 05:29AM
<HTML>I want to get some info on how to detail an airplane. I have done a few before but I have never been trained how to do them. I know you have to strip the rubber boot on the wings and apply some kind of sealant but that is all I know. Everything else I do just like I was doing a car. Can anyone give me some info on this????

Thanks,

Ryan</HTML>
Re: Info on Airplane Detailing???????????
November 01, 2003 05:44AM
<HTML>I've never done one, but I do know that you should let your insurance agent know that you're going to work on planes. He'll have to add an endorsment & charge you more $$ because liability involving airplanes is excluded on a general liability policy. So, if you work on a plane and accidentally screw something up or damage an alaron or control line without knowing it and the plane goes down, and they trace it back to you, guess what? You're gonna be broke if anyone was killed or injured. At the very least, you're gonna owe the airplane's insurer a bunch of money for the cost they incurred for settling the damage claim. Be careful!!! Plus, any knowledgable airplane owner is gonna demand a copy of the proof of insurance before he lets you anywhere near his plane. And from what I understand, that endorsment will cost you a chunk. In fact, some carriers won't even write that kind of coverage and you may have to switch carriers.</HTML>
<HTML>That should'nt be a problem. My insurance coverage is so out rageous because of what some of the contracts require already.

Ryan</HTML>
November 02, 2003 01:19AM
<HTML>Damm rod after reading you post I think I'am going to now think twice about airplane contracts "really" LOL</HTML>
November 02, 2003 03:54AM
<HTML>Lol, Tony!!! I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade. Heck, I'd even like to get good enough where I could do a plane myself. It's just that after being an insurance adjuster for over 20 years, I've seen a lot of people lose everything because they didn't have the right insurance for what they do or they never bothered to read their policies to understand what was covered and what wasn't, which perils were covered, but only for a minimal sublimit, etc.

I just don't want to see any of you guys get burned. You've all been real helpful to me with advice and tips and if I can give back some advice along these lines, it's the least I can do. Just be careful out there and don't have blind faith in your agent. They'll do as best as they can to advise you and sell you the proper coverage, but you have to keep them fully advised of even the slightest changes or shifts in your business. For example, because I'm going to be opening my own shop and will be a lot less mobile than I have been, I'm now considered to be operating from a fixed location and shaved $600 off my premiums even though I added the shop with complete coverage under a BOP (business owners policy) which resulted in a huge reduction in my auto premiums.

Make sure you read your policies very thoroughly. And if something doesn't make sense or seems ambiguous, call your agent and have him explain it to you until you're satisfied with the explanation.

I guess what I'm saying is get proactive with your insurance. It can't take care of itself without input from you and it could save your butt one day.

And Ryan...I hear ya botha'!!! I know whatcha mean!!! lol</HTML>
November 02, 2003 04:17PM
<HTML>Try contacting Jet Stream Aviation they sell a guide for operating a aircraft detailing service and all the chemicals and equipment. You can also find there products and manual sold at Top of the Line. As far as insurance go contact Aviation Insurance Managers they insure about 85% of Aviation detailers around the country .</HTML>

Lead, follow or get the hell out of the way...
November 07, 2003 05:14AM
<HTML>Good info on this tread rod, you have put alot of helpful thoughts in my mind and I'm sure others.

THANKS</HTML>
November 08, 2003 08:36AM
<HTML>Hey Tony,

I have done quite a few planes and have to say, I hate them. Way to much surface area. As far as the boots go, the products I used to strip and dress them were called Shine Master & Shine Master Prep made by BF Goodwrench. Strip them with a rag then use a square wax app pad to apply the shine.

Hey, I don't know if your doing windows or not but I made a lot of money polishing them. It's soo easy with the right products.</HTML>

Shone A. Rowley
Mobil Brite
Previous Trainer: Auto Magic of Western NY
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login