Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

PC/ FOAM/ POLISH/ HI SPEED

Posted by samuel 
PC/ FOAM/ POLISH/ HI SPEED
April 05, 2006 08:04PM
<HTML>suffice to say there's much controversy about best combination of tools, product to remove paint defects in clear coats I find this conversation interesting because I've spent months trying out different Lake country variable contact pads with Optimum Polish/compound and Menzerna IP. Machines for application are :makita Hi speed polisher and Griot Orbital polisher. My results: white polishing pad on orbital polisher for paint defect correction is waste of precious time. Orange pad does just a little better on orbital polisher for paint defects removal while yellow is the ultimate for removing fine scratches and medium swirls. Yellow pad on griot orbital polisher with optimum polish/compound 50/50 blend, light pressure, speed at 5, removed defects with fewer passes- meaning less time polishing to correct defects. The surface is left smooth, no haze ready for finessing with Optimum polish or Finall polish on black pad. It's important to use less polish for quick result. On makita result is amazingly qiucker without haze, buffer marks or hologram, makita speed was set at 1200RPM to achieve great results. My observation: it is more time efficient to do paint defect correction with Hi speed polisher on LC yellow VC pad than on PC. For non professional detailer PC will be OK, for Pro who cant afford to spend too much time polishing one car Hi speed is the way to go to correct paint defects. If you polish on yellow pad using Optimum Polish at 1200RPM you are absolutely Ok that you will be able to remove medium scratches and swirls without haze or dust the finish is smooth ready for finessing with white/black foam pads using optimum polish or menzerna final polish with PC. In my humble opinion PC is good for general polishing with mild gloss enhancing polish to improve gloss and remove wax and minor contaminants before applying sealant or fresh wax. Hi speed polisher should only be used to efficiently remove paint defects such as swirls and scratches at low speed 1200-1500RPM. If a polish/compound cannot efficiently cut between 1200-1500RPM on clear coats please dont use such products. It's better to polish at this speed with two or three passes on HI-Speed polisher than remove two much paint and induce a lot of marrings that will require further removal of paint to correct. Too much speed on Hi speed polisher regardless of product you use does not do any good, because the integrity of the paint is slowly being compromised. It's quicker by far to remove defects with yellow cutting pad on Hi-Speed polisher and OPT polish/compound blend than on orange and white foam pads. White foam pad is good for final polishing and finessing on PC with a mild polish such as Menzerna final polish or Optimum polish.</HTML>
Re: PC/ FOAM/ POLISH/ HI SPEED
April 05, 2006 08:47PM
<HTML>I concur exactly. Those yellow pads do the correction well and particularly on dark paint, a final burnishing with the white pad is great. If you have a Cyclo you could go a little over the top and do yet one more final burnishing step on the dark colors. On a personal, enthusiast level, I use the PC with the black LC pad to apply products like Klasse AIO mainly to move a little faster than applying it by hand. With this routine, I find the outcome to be excellent.</HTML>

Nothing is good enough.There is always a way to make it better; a way which we must all strive to learn. ---Sir Henry Royce
April 06, 2006 01:56AM
<HTML> Ya what bill said ;-) I just started using LC pads about 2 weeks ago(just found a guy who sells them in toronto) and am very pleased with the performance not to mention they are way cheaper than the meguiars pads!</HTML>
April 06, 2006 07:21AM
<HTML>Bill, I've found Griot orbital polisher stronger than PC, you can apply pressure without bugging down the machine, vibration is noticeably less than PC. I think result is comparable to cyclo in terms of number of passes before you achieve desired result.</HTML>
April 06, 2006 02:21PM
<HTML>I've read a little bit here and there about the Griot's polisher. Do you think it warrants the addition of a fourth machine to the collection. He he winking smiley</HTML>

Nothing is good enough.There is always a way to make it better; a way which we must all strive to learn. ---Sir Henry Royce
April 07, 2006 01:01AM
<HTML>Not really since you already have a cyclo. I bought one because I was looking at adding a new PC to my cyclo and makita, when I got Griot catalogue. I bought one so I was able to compare it to PC. I noticed Griot polisher vibrates less even at 6,000 OPM, it cuts faster than PC using thesame pad, you can put some pressure down on it to polish some bad sections without bugging down the polisher. Overall it seems to prodcuce same results as PC, but at a faster rate.</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login