Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

interior re-fab

Posted by kami 
interior re-fab
May 01, 2006 07:20PM
<HTML>The interior of my 98 Mystique is trashed due to water damage that occured before I got the car. The carpet is torn and moldy. the seats stained, etc etc. I want to detail the inside. New carpet and seat covers, new steering wheel, fabric side panels. I'm wonder just how hard it is to do the carpet yourself. I don't have the $$$ to have someone else do it and the mold is getting to me. I just dropped $12,000 over the last year into the engine and suspension, so selling is NOT an option. Anyone whose done this or got ideas?</HTML>
Re: interior re-fab
May 02, 2006 07:02AM
<HTML>First, you'll have to source the carpeting...
Installation is rather straightforward. Remove the seats and some door trim.

The seating can be tough. Check with [katzkin.com]
for styles for your Mystique. ($700)

If you've not worked with upholstery before, be aware that it can be a tedious and frustrating venture Allow *plenty* of time and have lots of wire ties on hand.

Jim</HTML>

If it was easy, everybody'd be doing it!
May 02, 2006 12:05PM
<HTML>The seats Im going to do myself. I've done costuming for the last 5 years, and use upholstery fabric for all my corsets (and then some)
I called around to some carpet retailers and so far the only low pile flexiable carpet I can find is 'indoor/outdoor' and marine carpet. I dont think I want that in my car, although it might be kid proof, it kind of defeats the "classy" look Im trying to get (the interior is tan with some marbled wood accent. floor will be black and the seats mahogony brown with black trim) smiling smiley Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Kami</HTML>
May 02, 2006 01:50PM
<HTML>Kami,

Every large city has a company that wholesales automotive fabric, vinyl and leather, in bulk.

These are where the automotive trim shops obtain their materials.

Household carpet and fabrics don't work well in auto's, and you will require a much more heavy duty sewing machine to work these materials.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it at all!
May 02, 2006 06:06PM
<HTML>kami if you dropped 12 grand into a 1998 mercury mistake their is only one piece of advice i can give you.use that old carpet to help start a fire and stop the bleeding NNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWW....</HTML>
May 02, 2006 10:14PM
<HTML>Trust me. The image of tossing gasoline on my car, lighting it on fire and watching it roll down hill into Lake Erie has crossed my mind everytime something else goes wrong with it (new tranny at 75,000 miles, altenator, tie rod ends in the front, wheel bearings, struts and mounts, turning signal switch relay, water pump, air conditioning unit, all 4 tires, CVC(?) joint, etc, etc etc) the problem with that is I still owe $2000 on the bloody thing.

AND thanks ron, but I do have an industrial sewing machine. I've done all the new seat covers and saddle bags for my friends snow mobiles, dirt bikes and touring bikes. Custom winking smiley

Thanks guys! If I run into any problems, I'll be back! smiling smiley</HTML>
May 03, 2006 02:37AM
<HTML>I'd like to see pictures of this $12,000 motor. Must be impressive.</HTML>

jer

Charlotte Auto Detailing
Charlotte, MI

517-749-5484
May 04, 2006 12:49AM
<HTML>I'll post a link to pictures when I get done. Did you know that the car comes with a V-4 tranny in a V-6 engine? idiot makers. The reason? it was tested in Europe and they don't run guidelines for that kind of stuff. How do their cars last the year?!
Also.. just found out that now I need all sway bar links and bushings replaced. *sigh*

(anyone else notice the sudden on-slaught of spam-poofters? what the heck!)</HTML>
May 04, 2006 02:23AM
<HTML>Just this week I saw a 2005 Model Dodge Ram pickup, retail cost of $35,000 that was at my friend's body shop that had been submerged in water. Undertand he was backing his boat into the water and the truck went with it. Completely under water.

He indicated that it was a complete total by the insurance company.

As Ron K says if you can find an automotive upholstery distributor in your city/town you can purchase a carpet shell from them at about $100 to $200 and all you have to do is remove the seats and the old shell and the padding and replace it with new padding and the carpet shell.

However, I would completely scrub the floor of the vehicle with bleach or go to a janitorial supply house and ask what they sell to kill mold, explain what you are doing.

If you do not kill the mold it will come back again.

Regards
Bud ABraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS</HTML>

buda
May 04, 2006 07:32PM
<HTML>(hadnt he heard of a brake?)

I found Marine carpet for 4.44 a linear foot. Its UV, Mildew, and Mold resistent and made of some sort of special nylon mix. so at 6x8 ft (includes all the dips and tuck unders) it only comes to 36 bucks. plus the padding, another 10 and the adhesive at another 8. soo.. $54 + tax. How am I doin? grinning smiley

FYI White Rain shampoo and bleach mixed equal parts makes a FANTASTIC mold removal cleaner. Also good for stains like grease on whites. Mix the shampoo with regular detergent for colors.</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login