Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Detailing Wheels

Posted by Bud Abraham 
Detailing Wheels
November 02, 2003 01:21AM
<HTML>Which is worse for wheels: Hydroflouric Acid or High Alkaline chemical?

And, besides the chemical, what process do you all use to clean wheels. Tools; supplies and processes?

How do you tell if a wheel is "naked" metal or clear coated? Does it matter?

Look forward to your replies and information.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
Re: Detailing Wheels
November 02, 2003 02:51AM
<HTML>Well, hydroflouric acid is great for spoke and chrome wheels but like we talked about earlier, can be very dangerous for the detailer. But an alkaline cleaner is also great for detailing wheel but if it has a high ph then of course it will be worse than HF.

For cleaning coated alloy wheels, I use a mild degreaser and a soft wheel detailing brush, so i don't scratch the coating. I make sure wheel is cool to the touch, powerwash tire and rims. SPray the mild cleanser on the wheel and let it dweel for about 45 second without letting it dry. Then I scrub with the soft brush getting all brake dust and dirt off. Rinse. For chrome or polished aluminum I use wheel cleaner safe for this use. Same wash and scub process as above.

Naked metal is aluminum that is not coated. It doesn't matter except that it will take a while per wheel to polish the aluminum up to a mirror shine. The way to tell if it's coated or not is to use an aluminum polish on the wheel and if it comes up black on the rag then the metal is bare.

Coated wheels will obviously need more of a gentle approach than bare aluminum.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
Re: Detailing Wheels
November 02, 2003 03:27AM
<HTML>What type wheel?
What condition?
How old?
What material is it composed of?
How was it made?

I would say it all dependssmiling smiley</HTML>

The &quot;BEST of The BEST&quot;
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login