Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Tips on using an Orbital Buffer

Posted by Adam Joy 
Tips on using an Orbital Buffer
November 04, 2003 12:32PM
<HTML>Hi there,

Just after some tips on using an orbital buffer. Been looking at a few detailing sites and it cab be a bit confusing, as everyone has different steps.
So i thought i would ask people who actually do it everday.

Questions like
Can it be used to apply a Paint cleaner,polish,wax?
Do you use it to polish off the product?
What type of pad should i be using on a clear coat finish, wool?

I had a go on a mates car, its pretty crappy, and i used the buffer to get the polish off, is it normal for the polish to turn to a dust like substance? this seems to go everywhere over the car. Once i dusted the car it looked pretty good.

So any tips, methods would be appreciated.
Thnx</HTML>
Re: Tips on using an Orbital Buffer
November 04, 2003 01:27PM
<HTML>Hey Mate! (sorry I couldn't resist that.) Have some time before tea so I will check in with you. Are you using the modern version of the orbital (Porter Cable?) or one of the old two handle monsters? I will assume it is the modern version. I only use it to apply product like polish, wax, sealant. I don't use it for cleaners, doesn't act aggressive enough for that. They make all three types of pads (cutting, which really doesn't cut) polish and finish. The later two are mostly what people use them for. If you are getting "dust" you are either using the wrong product or using a low grade quality. Most of the products that are talked about here and other pro sites work well. let us know what product and application you use, that will help. If you are trying to correct serious imperfections, you are using the wrong buffer. Either the rotary and cyclo you should use. Better get some experience first. hope that helps, Gary</HTML>
Re: Tips on using an Orbital Buffer
November 04, 2003 02:51PM
<HTML>Mate:

An orbital is not a "Buffer" it is nothing more than an applicator. Therefore, in my opinion, you can apply and take off wax/sealant. All though I find that taking wax or sealant off with a micro fiber towel is just as fast.

To correct a problem or to remove swirls or polish the paint you need a high speed buffer. High speed creates friction and friction creates heat which, in combination with the compound or swirl remover or polish and the pad gives you the result you are looking for with the Buffer.

The orbital does only one thing. Yes you could get alittle aggressiveness with a more aggressive pad and a more aggressive compound, but in the end, the tool is just not designed to do what a Rotary Buffer is designed to do.

In my years of experience in the business I would strictly use the orbital or dual action as an applicator of product and, if you wish, a remover, nothing more.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login