Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Hubcap Rust

Posted by Adam Anderson 
Hubcap Rust
March 29, 2006 06:42PM
<HTML>I have a '99 Caravan to clean, and the owner let the front brakes wear out, thus "spraying" metal particles all over the hubcap, and now it is caked with rust that does NOT want to come off! Any suggestions on cleaning this? Thanks to all!</HTML>

Adam Anderson
Re: Hubcap Rust
March 30, 2006 12:15AM
<HTML>Now may be a good time to suggest to the owner that a new set of replacement hubcaps would help with the overall appearance, since the rest of the vehicle is getting detailed. Even a set of recycled hubcaps from a salvage yard would probably be better than trying to bring the old ones back to life.

Just my thoughts.</HTML>

April 01, 2006 05:52PM
<HTML>My thoughts excactly! Not sure if they'll go for that or not!
Thanks!</HTML>

Adam Anderson
August 10, 2006 04:56PM
You can remove rust with Naval Jelly of products that chemically remove the rust and leave a protective coating. Awesome all purpose cleaner applied full strength and left to dwell can remove rust too.

The problem is keeping the rust from coming back. That can mean painting with Rustoleum or coating with petroleum jelly. Gun care products such as Birchwood Casey Sheath may work.

Doug Delmont

" Judge people by what they do and not what they say. "
VV
August 10, 2006 10:38PM
I agree with Doug. You should at least try Naval Jelly...then you don't have to invest your earned money into somebody else's car (or minivan) and lose margin.

You can find it at most hardware stores and I actually use it on my own vehicle yearly. Works great!

Even if the brake rust reappears on the hub cap you can either do one of two things after being treated with NJ.

1) play good guy and tell them what you're treating the problem with so that if/when it arises again they can do it them selves. (this will give you instant credibility and most importantly return business)

2) keep having them come back in on their bi-yearly detail so that you can continually clean and restore the cap.

Just some ideas to ponder.

VV
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login