Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

How About $10,000 for a Can of Wax

Posted by Bud Abraham 
How About $10,000 for a Can of Wax
May 10, 2006 11:29PM
<HTML>Since we are talking about expensive and catering to the "carriage trade" how about the rich man with a $650,000 Dusenburg that paid the owner of Zymol $10,000 to formulate a custom wax for his valuable car.

While I am not a chemist I have been around the detail chemical business for years and discussed chemical formulations with them and I am dumbfounded to think that there is any way you would put this kind of value in a can; liter or gallon of car wax.

But at PT Barnum said, "there's a sucker born everyday and I am....."

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
Re: How About $10,000 for a Can of Wax
May 11, 2006 10:55AM
<HTML>Every manufacturer I know says the same Bud. You will remember that I was asking you and Ron lots of questions about this about 2 years ago. I did a fair amount of research on the ingredients. I like to think that I educated a lot of people on UK enthusiast websites.

I'm thinking that it may be time for another offensive to promote the £20 tub of wax over snake oil products.</HTML>
August 10, 2006 04:49PM
A guy pays 650K for a car ? Yes, definitely a sucker but...

I've read that P.T. Barnum never really said the words he's most remembered for.

O.K. fun time's over. Back to work.

Doug Delmont

" Most men are self-made but only the successful ones admit it. "
August 10, 2006 07:28PM
He did not pay $650,000 for a Dussenburg, he restored this car and it is now worth $650,000. Maybe you are too young to know what a Dussenburg roadster was.

Go on line to google and type in Dussenburg or berg and you will see a fantastic car if was in it's day. Even then it was worth a fortune.

As for PT Barnum, you are right it was not he that said it, but competitor David Hannum, said it when Barnum had copied a giant statue that Hannum bought from George Hull and said it was the original that Hannum's was a fake. He said it in relation to people who were paying all this money to see Barnum's fake, thinking it was the real statue.

In any case, go to HistoryBuff.com if you are interested in the entire story.

Regards
Bud Abraham

buda
August 12, 2006 01:36PM
Bud : I indicated my complaint about tha car's price ( or value ) was all in fun when I said fun and games time was over.
Can you provide information on how I can order a case of the $10,000 car wax ?

Doug Delmont
August 28, 2006 07:05AM
I guess some folks still like to think that there is magic in them there tins of wax. Hey! if that blows air up your dress, How about some vintage 20 year old Mt. Ste. Helens ash from the state of Washington? gotta be good for something! we gotta guy out here who still buffs cars without washing them first, Abrasives are already on the car and the sun is out!

Detailing, An Art In Motion!
August 28, 2006 01:53PM
Stephen:

You are correct, if people want to believe something, they will.

It might be better to use the ash to make glass and make something out of the glass. They used to sell Mt St Helen's ashtrays made from the ash of the volcano. That was, when people remember the eruption. An entire generation has been born since the eruption that does not even know about it other than in books.

Do you know where the technique of buffing a car without washing it came from?

It was when cars were painted with laquer that sprayed dull and it had to be buffed with 600 grit compound and a white wool pad to get it too shine. Or, after it had oxidized, the grit on the car would only add to the abrasive in the compound, assisting to bring out the shine.

For those who are only familiar with clear-coat finishes this procedure might sound archaic, but it actually had a basis in fact, back then.

I know detailers who still take a pressure washer to the interior of cars, including the seats. Again, this was a technique used when cars had rubber mats and not carpet and had seats that came out with a crescent wrench in 5 minutes.

That is what we call, "thinking with your memory."

Regards
Bud Abraham

buda
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login