Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Help with

Posted by them2854 
Help with
September 01, 2006 03:26PM
Hello, I recently purchased a 03 BLACK camry. Apparently the previous owner really didn't care for the paintand proabably ran it though an automatic carwash numerous times. After washing it I noticed lots of swirling and just random scratches and a couple of chips in the front. I haven't done anythign to it yet. So with that said someone please point me in the right direction. I am willing to do-it-myself and/or bring it to someone to do (I am in New Iberia, LA). But I have no idea what needs to be done. I have read many other messageboards and everyone says different things and that only confused me even more. I know the scratches won't be removed with out "refinishing" but I just want to make them less noticeable and color the white chipped areas black so they are not seen. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Jamie
Re: Help with
September 01, 2006 08:11PM
1) Have a professional detailer measure the paint with a paint depth guage to see how much paint you can remove without exceeding the sensible limit.
2) Clay the paint if necessary.

3) Wet-sand where necessary.

4) Compound with Meguiar's Diamond Cut or equivalent.

5) Polish with Meguiar's Swirl Free Polish or equivalent.

6) Apply Mother's wax or other Carnauba wax to fill and hide any remaining scratches. If you prefer a sealant, try Meguiar's #21 Synthetic Sealant .

**If you wish to touch-up the chips, do it before waxing. A pro can touch up better than you can .

Doug
September 01, 2006 10:20PM
Jamie,

Since you said that you have no idea what needs to be done, it sounds like you would be smart to take it to a professional detailer.

September 02, 2006 01:32AM
How far are you from Mandeville, LA there is a great detailer there who will take perfect care of your car.

Go to www.mobileworks.com and seek out one of his postings to find his address his name is Gary Giffin.

Regards
Bud ABraham

buda
September 02, 2006 01:46AM
Jamie : Last post, I was in a hurry so I apologize if it was short and abrupt.

We have not actually seen your car so we can't make the necessary diagnosis. The procedure I outlined is based on your description of the paint and your goals.
If you wish to do the best you can by yourself, you can simply hand wax frequently with a fairly aggressive cleaner wax such as Meguiar's #6. This will gradually remove enough paint to smooth out the scratches.
Get the paint code number for your car if you want to do your own touch-ups. Buy the brush-on type touch-up paint, not a spray can. If you use a spray can, you'll have to spray into the can lid and brush that paint into the chips.

Use the search feature on this site. Visit www.malm's.com for do-it-yourself advice. See my post on downloading the Griot's manual for free.

Fine polishing takes too much time without a powered buffer. You can get a PC 7424 online or from Lowes cheaper than a similar buffer labeled for a wax company.

Since this car is to be a daily driver ( I assume ), it is probably a good idea not to attempt to remove enough paint to produce a flawless surface. Better to live with some cobwebbing and leave the paint thick.

Hope that clarifies it for you.

Doug
" Old age is when you finally get it all together but can't remember where you put it. "
September 02, 2006 02:23AM
If you are not familiar with a high speed rotary buffer and are not familiar with all of the various buffing pads and the various compounds I would not even consider touching the car myself.

In addition to the buffer, pads and compounds you will need you also must have a quality swirl remover/polish as well as a finishing pad.

Finally a protectant, either a wax or sealant.

You can continue to hand wax your car after it is professionally detailed, but do not try it yourself.

You do not do your own body work; or dental work do you? Why do you think that detailing is any easier? IT is not if you are going to do a good job and correct the problems.

Bud Abraham

buda
September 02, 2006 03:12PM
Thanks for the kind responses.

I am going to do it myself. It is a daily driver. I was eventually directed to Meguiar's Online forums and from there I was directed to numerous how-to-videos to minimize and/or remove the scratches. I am going to do it by hand and if I am not satisified with the scratches that are removed after that then I will have it buffed by a professional.

So once again thank you.
Jamie
September 03, 2006 02:47AM
Obviously you won't follow the instructions that some of the country's best detailers are offering you. Sad to say, based on experience you may end up with a bigger problem than what you started with. Nothing against you, but from what you have told us you neither have the experience to do it properly yourself or listen to sound advice and follow through it!

Detailing, An Art In Motion!
September 03, 2006 05:29AM
Stephen : I disagree with your assessment of this situation. The guy says he'll do it himself by hand , using info he gathered from Meguiars. What real harm is he likely to do ? He's using his own car to learn on anyway.

It sounds to me as if you guys can't stand for a professional to lose out on one job.

I'm skinned up at the moment from replacing my truck's door lock actuator myself, using a trick I dreamed up because I don't have a giant rivet gun.
My local body shop owner could have done it for me but he's not sore over losing the business ; I'm sore from scraping my hand and arm on the door sheet metal...but that's what do-it-youself can mean.

Jamie : If you are still listening, you might wish to try Mother's Phase One Cleaner / Phase Two Sealer / Phase Three Carnauba Wax process. It is designed for hand application and might give you the best result obtainable by hand without expensive boutique stuff such as Griot's, Malm's or Adam's Polishes .

Doug

" A turtle doesn't get anywhere without sticking his neck out. "
September 03, 2006 03:39PM
Mr. Delmont:

You may disagree with me if you like, thats fine. As far as losing out on jobs, I usually get the jobs that other detailers or so-called detailers screw-up by their DIY experience. Job security!
September 04, 2006 03:25AM
Stephen : We may disagree but I feel honored that you count me among " the country's best detailers ".

( in fun )

Doug
September 04, 2006 05:23AM
Doug:

This is a forum for professional detailers. Why would you want to encourage a motorist to do his own car? That is working against the industry you are a part of.

Do you think an auto repair forum would encourage a motorist to tune up his own car?

Do not understand why a person who is in the detailing business would want to encourage a consumer to work on their own car? And, in this case, all of us know that from what the person has said about the paint finish problems and the fact that it is black he will "screw it up".

A guy like this should be on Autopia or such a forum like that, but not a professional detailer's forum and should not be encouraged by a detailer to do the work himself.

If I were a detailer in this guy's town I would "shoot you." Only joking, but you get the point.

Bud Abraham
September 05, 2006 01:12AM
Bud : I did not encourage the guy to do his own car. I simply said that a car owner with a bottle of Meguiar's cleanr/wax and some elbow grease isn't likely to do any real harm to a car that's scratched up anyway. I described the proper procedure for top results earlier and thought it was obvious that few people have the skills and equipment to do it. My position is that it is okay for people to do their own detailing on their own cars if they wish. Perhaps this individual will be satisfied with simply improving his paint a little.
As a matter of fact, I do my own tune-up work on my truck and car but take some other work to a professional. People do it themselves for many reasons and I don't think this represents a threat to the pros. I think it is an exaggeration to predict he'll make a mess of things but I'll concede that if he really wants results, he'll have to do what I advised first off : Go to a Pro and start by measuring paint depth...
Doug
September 05, 2006 02:12AM
Bud : One more thing--- You say this is a forum for professional detailers.
That's not what it says at the top of the page. It says, " Discussion forum for automobile detailers, amateur and professional. For that reason, if no other, I think amateurs should be treated with respect and given help when they ask. When the amateur begins waxing his neighbor's cars in the sun and says he's as good as a pro, then we should get upset.
Doug
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login