Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

waterspots

Posted by Geno 
waterspots
January 11, 2006 11:44PM
<HTML>Does anyone have a better solution for hard water spots besides using acid to remove them?</HTML>
Re: waterspots
January 12, 2006 03:02AM
<HTML>Are you "posistive" that you are dealing with "water spots", or are you perhaps dealing with "etching"?

Do you know how to diagnois, to actually know the difference.

And then, "explain" the difference to the customer, and why you must charge more to "attempt" to correct the damage?

Or, are you just an "enthusist" detailer, with a few Wally World//Flavor of the Month, products and PorterCable dual action doing your buddies/neighbors/relatives, cars?

In short, are you a full time, dedicated, for your living detailer?

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it at all!
January 12, 2006 05:11PM
<HTML>I'm a detailer with 20 years in the business and have recently moved to NV from the midwest where the waterspots came off with clay. Out here the water is so hard that the spots etch the glass and paint. I was not real enthused with using acid to remove these. Any suggestions?</HTML>
January 12, 2006 10:53PM
<HTML>Oh yeah, fought those in Vegas years ago, you are right "hard, heavy mineral deposit water and heat.

We always just used the ValuGard ABC system to loosen or remove what we could, then got out the buffer.

Buffed the paint, buffed the glass. it ain't easy.

Ketch</HTML>

Dan
January 13, 2006 01:10AM
<HTML>Ive used acid water spot removers with success. And like you, I wasnt too thrilled about the idea until a fellow detailer told me how to use it. Spray it on, let dwell for 10 seconds rinse it off, if its still there, repeat the procedure. Product we used was 3D Eraser.

I will be honest and tell you I don't have an answer for you with complete water spot removal. It seems after cutting and polishing glass, the spots reappear within a couple weeks. I have not tried rodite or whatever its called for polishing glass. Maybe someone here will know more about the glass polishing procedure.

Dan Draper
DRAPERSAUTOIMAGERY.com</HTML>
January 13, 2006 11:43AM
<HTML>polish them of</HTML>

Detail is cool
January 15, 2006 08:37PM
<HTML>The Valugard ABC system and the water spot remover are top choices. Thing they all have in common is the acidic approach since the minerals are alkaline and needs an acid type to remove and neutralize.

Water spots don't etch, only acid rain does. What I use on boats is distilled white vinegar left to dwell on a rag for a few minutes -- cut 10-to-1 on Issan Glass.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
Re: waterspot pH
January 16, 2006 12:25PM
<HTML>I agree with Brian. Water spots, typically from irrigation systems, are above-the-surface residues from minerals that remain after the water evaporates. They don't etch... and can easily be removed by using a lower pH chemical washing solution that instantly neutralizes the residue, leaving a residue-free finish.

A filtration process is employed by many carwash operations and even some detailers who use either deionized water or water filtered through a reverse-osmosis system, rendering the water mineral-free... and hence, "spot-free".

Instead of using clay or even the more aggressive option of buffing the residue off, I suggest you simply reflect back on knowledge gained in high school chemistry... and neutralize the higher pH alkaline residue by offsetting the problem spots with a lower pH washing solution. Less risk, less work, less cost!

However, make sure the "water spots" aren't really what some refer to as "acid rain"... which can etch the paint. Acid rain has become a catch-all... and actually doesn't exclusively refer to rainfall, per se. Any airborne alkaline dust or industrial or environmental fallout that covers a vehicle can be the start of "acid rain" damage. The harmful dust mixes with overnight condensation (dew) and a chemical solution is formed. The sun comes up and heats the droplets of chemical dew... and viola: acid! The heat acts as a catalyst that intensifies the chemical activity, and droplets leave minute etches around the edges of the water spot; sort of like a "divot" to the golfers out there. This process is repeated, with the "divot" catching the condensation water again, and the chemical mix continues. Sun comes up, the mix is heated. Invasive damage continues. In fact, sunlight isn't even needed. But when present, it accelerates the process.

Hope some readers find this information useful.

-Steve</HTML>
January 16, 2006 02:40PM
<HTML>Steve.

As my articles in Professional Carwash a few years back pointed this out, there are still those who just don't understand the "etching process", and how it will continue to "etch" each time the panels are subjected to the two key conditions.

Water and heat.

We teach in our Prep Excellence class just what "reactivity" is in regards to akalines and acids.

A perfect and simple example of this the "dreaded bird bomb".

If a dropping is on a black vehicle and the temperature is below 40F, there is almost no chance that etching will occur.

However, if it is warm weather, the car skin temp is above 90F, usually much warmer, sometimes up to 200F+, etching occurs very quickly.

It is the result of heat creating very agressive reactivity of the acids present in the bird dropping.

In winter, no etching, in the summer, deep etching.

Regarding acid rain, same thing, plus if the vehicle is in a metro area with high ozone content in the air, the ozone being more reactive than oxygen, etching will happen much quicker than if in a rual area.

Ketch</HTML>

January 27, 2006 08:06PM
<HTML>I am from the Los Angeles area and since coming to Baton Rouge to open an Auto Detailing service I have never seen water spotting as bad as I have here.

I have tried several online miracle remedies, newspaper and vinegar, acid on glass (a big no-no) and have found that compound buffing is really the only solution.</HTML>

X-Calibur 1 Auto Detailing / Paint / Collision Repair
12626 Old Jefferson HWY.
Baton Rouge, LA 70816
(225)756-5551
January 27, 2006 08:11PM
<HTML>It's what the refinery, chemical plants emit and the quality of the water down there that makes it tough.

That combined with the hot weather.

The ABC system may not totaly remove the deposits, but it does soften them considerably so they buff off much easier, less time, less labor.

Ketch</HTML>

August 03, 2006 03:30PM
I need some help guys. What are u using to remove water spots on glass. I had a high end customer tell me that the car was incredible but I didn't get the waterspots off the windows and mirrors. What is the remedy. I am in search of what works for u guys. Thanks alot in advance and it is good to be back in business.......
August 03, 2006 03:31PM
I need some help guys. What are u using to remove water spots on glass. I had a high end customer tell me that the car was incredible but I didn't get the waterspots off the windows and mirrors. What is the remedy. I am in search of what works for u guys. Thanks alot in advance and it is good to be back in business.......

Sam Robinson
Mike's Mobile Detail Salon
1722 Paris Road suite C
Columbia, Missouri 65202
telephone: 573-356-3037
email: mikes.detail.salon@gmail.com
August 20, 2006 02:31PM
Sam : Good old household vinegar sometimes works. Be sure you use a car wash soap that rinses clean and doesn't leave a lot of soap spots too.
Doug
August 25, 2006 12:40AM
Have you tried a really fine metal wool scourer (like the type you wash your dishes with at home, but finer) for the windows? It works on overspray, wax, old sticker residue, etc... And it doesnt scratch the window either, just spray the window with some water first. Of course you wouldnt try it on the mirrors winking smiley
August 26, 2006 01:32AM
xacoupe302 : Very fine steel wool can be used but brass wool is safer. Any grit caught in the stuff can be dragged against the glass and produce scratches.
It might be better to use an abrasive window cleaner such as Rain-X Heavy Duty or Griot's Glass Polish.
Doug
September 07, 2006 09:28AM
Spot-x @ Home-Depot $7.00 can't go wrong with this product FDA approved safe on paint, do a search on google on SPOT-X
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login