Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Undercoating that won't dry!

Posted by Stephen Britz 
Undercoating that won't dry!
July 24, 2004 04:32PM
<HTML>Hi Everyone!

The company I work for has been purchasing Perma Plate undercoating for use on our new vehicles. Recently, two customers have complained about undercoating dripping onto their driveways and this is after a drying period of three weeks. They brought their vehicles back in and we inspected each vehicle to find the undercarriages as wet as the day we shot them. We are thinking that we may have received a bad batch of product. Perma Plates area representative is working to help resolve our product issue, but in the meantime we have two unhappy customers and a mess under these cars. This is the first time in 22 years I have had to deal with this issue.

We did re-shoot each vehicle again and waited two weeks, inspected again, and the undercoat is still as wet as the day we shot it.

First, as for the product issue you can bet we will be testing products for set-up and drying time outside the vehicles before we will shoot another vehicle.

Second, I am not quite sure what to do about the wet undercoat on the vehicles, do we scrape it off as best we can and spray new product? re-shoot new product over the wet product and hope it will dry to it's flexible state after a few days (not likely with two layers of wet undercoat)? ????

As much as I do respect your opinions here, can we leave the opinions out of it this time and pass on some day-by-day hands-on actual experience that any of you have had in resolving this issue?

Thanks for your time and consideration.</HTML>

Detailing, An Art In Motion!
Re: Undercoating that won't dry!
July 24, 2004 04:36PM
<HTML>Stephen, I am not familair with the product or a way to solve it to be honest.

Have you contacted the manufacturer , what did they say ?

Sounds like a real headache, hope someone comes up with a good soloution for you.

Jim.</HTML>
<HTML>Man...what a mess that sounds like! I don't do undercoating (yet) but I think I'd ask the manufacturer if there isn't a chemical cleaner that you can spray on that will remove the wet undercoating down to the original base then start all over.

If you actually got a bad batch, the manufacturer SHOULD stand responsible for what ever cost is associated with making everything right.

Good luck...</HTML>

July 24, 2004 05:43PM
<HTML>We are the largest supplier of undercoating to new vehicles dealers, since the same product we have sold for years under our brand name is also the same one we supply to all DaimlerChrysler dealers in the US, Canada and Mexico.

Know a bit about it, even though we have not experienced this problem in 15 years, before we started our own manufacturering, did have a similar concern.

So here is the "bad news" and Perma Plate will most likely pay for the labor and materials.

Your "rep" is most likely not employed directly by the company, but is a distributor, so he will need the OK from their Salt Lake HQ, (I think they are still there).

Keosene, lots of it, spray it on, let it set, watch the undercoat run off, respray, let set, watch some more run off, then hit it once again, let it set, then use a water based degreaser, mixed properly, spray it on, agitate all the areas you can with a stiff brush, and pressure wash the undercarriage, etc.

The "degreaser" will work as and emulsifier, and allow what is left to dry, hopefully.

That is going get it cleaned off, without a lot of elbow grease and heavy left over materials where you couldn't reach.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it all!
July 24, 2004 10:21PM
<HTML>Grumpy:

What would be the proper mixture on the "water-based degreaser"? Of course this brings up containment issues.

Stephen</HTML>

July 24, 2004 11:25PM
<HTML>That mix ratio would depend on what companies water based degreaser you use.

And, you will have to either put all the keosene and degreaser through your grease trap/seperator, or contain it, pick it up and despose of to somewhere that has one.

Even if you try to "scrape" it off, you will still need to use keosene and a degreaser to get off that which can't be scraped.

Ketch</HTML>

July 24, 2004 11:29PM
<HTML>If the undercoat is not drying due to a missing/contaminated element in the formulation of the product, why not spray the wet undercoat with something that would cause it to dry? if so what would that be?

Stephen</HTML>

July 24, 2004 11:50PM
<HTML>Grumpy:

Here is one water-base degreaser available through our distributor:

CarBrite

E042 POWER BRITE
DESCRIPTION:
A concentrated, blue, heavy-duty, water-based cleaner/degreaser that is green apple scented, highly alkaline and formulated for exterior use.
KEY FEATURES:
• Blue liquid
• Concentrated
• Contains fortified surfactants & water-soluble solvents
• High alkalinity (pH 13)
• Green Apple scented

KEY BENEFITS:
• Low usage cost since it's concentrated and mixes with water
• Alkalis and surfactants loosen and remove stubborn dirt and grime
• Water-soluble solvents dissolve grease and tar
• Versatile product - effectively cleans engines, exterior grillwork & rocker panels

HOW TO USE:
Engine
1. Mix 1 part product with 5 parts water (1:5).
2. Wet down surrounding painted surfaces with cool water.
3. Generously spray product over entire engine using consistent pattern to ensure even coverage.
4. Allow product to dwell several minutes.
5. Pressure rinse thoroughly standing at different angles.

Exterior Grillwork & Rocker Panels
1. Mix 1 part product with 10 parts water (1:10).
2. Spray on surface to be cleaned, and allow to dwell for no longer than one minute.
3. Agitate solution with a sponge of pre-moistened Doo All pad.
4. Pressure rinse thoroughly.

• Do not allow product to dry on surface, or work in direct sunlight
• Consult the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) for complete safety information

What would your mixing ratio be using this chemical?</HTML>

July 25, 2004 12:02PM
<HTML>The 5 to 1 ratio should do it.

And it is either next to impossible or impossible to add the missing component, once it is sprayed.

I know that PP does not make their undercoat, sounds like their blender just made a mistake.

We sometimes have product that is "too thick", due to evaporation/loss of solvent, while in storage/shippment, but never too thin.

A safety solvent may be added and mixed in when it is too thick, but if we ever would goof up at the plant and have it too thin, would never get in the containers, due to our ISO requirements.

Each product that is mixed, has a sample overnighted to our Tech Center for testing to spec, if it doesn't match our spec, the plant can't package it.

Ketch</HTML>

July 25, 2004 04:03PM
<HTML>Jim:
Our Finance department and Service Director have been in contact with the distributor, but I do not know what was said.

Steve:
I thought the same thing when I was approached about removing the undercoating but I was not sure which chemicals would work properly and safely, now I do. PP is being billed for this mistake.

Grumpy:
If I do end up removing the undercoat I will use the instructions you passed on. I really appreciate your experience.

I will keep you updated on any developments.

Stephen</HTML>

October 06, 2006 05:17AM
Stephen (and others)

I know this was a discussion from a couple of years ago, but I was wondering if any of you remember how you solved it?
I am experiencing this exact problem with the Perma Plate undercoating I had applied to my new Mustang. The dealer applied it a little over a month ago, and after two weeks, it was still wet and sticky. I brought it back, and they removed it and reapplied. It was fairly dry when I picked the car up, but now 2 weeks later, it's wet and sticky again, like something is breaking it down, but I haven't applied anything that would cause that. Now, I'm really peeved, because the underside of my brand new, $30,000 car looks like the LaBrea tar pits!!!
Help!!

-gambi06
October 07, 2006 04:33AM
Could a heat gun bake the undercoating dry ?

Frankly, I wonder why anyone needs to undercoat a new car. The substance does little to stop rust and can plug drain holes and actually encourage rust.
It deadens noise. Big deal. It is probably a high-profit/low value dealer pack.

Doug
"Out of debt, out of danger."
October 08, 2006 02:22AM
Wow really sorry to hear of this again!
First off, the dealership would'nt let us remove the undercoat in our shops, so they shipped the cars to a body shop I heard. The distributor came to our dealership and removed all of the old product and replaced it with new. We have not had a problem with it since. We did notice that the concentration of most of the wetness was right on seamed areas, therefore we thought the seam sealer and undercoating coming in contact with each other was causing this reaction. but of course that is only a guess. I just bought a new car myself and I will not use this product on my car. In fact I was going to ask Ketch or Bud if they had a Sound Guard product in there arsenal that will absolutely not do this.

October 09, 2006 01:50PM
Stephen,

On our website, under Warranty Chemicals, www.autoint.com you can see the materials and by clicking on Installation, how they are applied.

These are the same products we supply to DaimlerChrysler, Renault, etc.

There is, despite many misconceptions, a need for both the anti corrosion rust inhibitor and a quality undercoating.

Not all rust inhibitors or undercoat materials are equal.

Our products are used by I-CAR at their technical training center in Wisconson, I conducted a technical seminar the first part of August in San Jose at the International I-CAR meeting, as their and several vehicle manufacturers request.

We are in the process of private labeling these materials for Ford and have been informed by GM that the materials, under the ValuGard brand will be in the new GM parts and service catalog coming out in mid 2007.

Our materials are tested by independant, certified labs, as well as each vehicle manufacturers labs to insure they meet or exceed ASTM-117B world wide standards of performance and protection.

I know this may not mean much to those who sometimes come on forums, professing to have all the right answers, however to the various, formally educated engineers and materials people at vehicle manufacturers, this is very important.

Ketch
October 09, 2006 06:07PM
Though I am not in the position you are in to participate in these various meetings, important studies, and factual reports, I have done a great deal of research within the auto detailing field for many years and find it very important to have the right facts to pass on to others. So I really do appreciate that we have products backed up by lab reports, etc, that guide us and help us in our job settings and to help others. It would be a painful and lonely place thinking we know all the answers when our knowledge was based on only what others say.
October 18, 2006 01:49AM
Thanks everyone for responses. I am armed with a printout of this thread, as well as my warranty papers, and I am heading to the dealer in the morning.
I called Tony at Perma-Plate the other day, and explained the problem I am having, and get this....He claims that this problem has NEVER OCCURRED BEFORE! Whatever....crediblility strike number one...Next, he blames the dealer... "They must've thinned it too much". My dealer says that there is no thinning involved. They open the lid, attach the sprayer, and go to town. Then, the guy at perma-plate he hits me with a zinger...He says, "Sir, where is this happening?" I tell him, "All over, but especially in the rear wheelwells".
He then proceeds to tell me that their undercoating product isn't supposed to be applied in the wheelwells!!!! I'm like, WTH??
I told him he might want to refer to the picture on their WEBSITE that shows the before/after of the WHEELWELL it's applied to! He continues on with, "oh...yeah I see that...they must have the wrong picture on the site. Our undercoating is only supposed to go on the chassis." Yeah? well, it's wet there too, pal!

Wow...I've never seen such blatent customer dis-service.

He tells me they can't back me trying to get my money back from the dealer. The only thing they can do is schedule a reapplication by "professionals".
Isn't that who was supposed to be applying it in the first place??

If I were you guys, I'd get my dealer to seriously reconsider a business relationship with people like this.

If I don't get some sort of resolution tomorrow, I am going to take it to a consumer action level.
What a mess.

-Gambi06
October 18, 2006 12:49PM
I understand what you are saying about the wheel well areas, however, there is something you should know.

We make the product for DaimlerChrysler and a few others, not PermaPlate.

There have been many changes in the past few years of the materials used in building vehicles.

One troublesome area for undercoat application is the wheel wells, due to some manufacturers, some models, using some much different materials in these areas.

Some of the "plastic" materials used will not allow the undercoat product to dry properly or even attach in some cases.

Another concern that has risen is the "seam sealers" used under the body, and the sealer will not allow the undercoat to dry, but only where it is applied over the seam sealer, etc.

A few years back, we had to make a major formula modification to the product we provide DCX and others, due to the wheel well area concern. Took some time and testing, but we made it work.

Most of the companies that market aftermarket protection products are not chemical manufactuerers, or chemist, they are marketers, so depend on some supplier to provide the technical expertise, etc.

Often this information never gets to the sales department, etc.

Ketch
October 18, 2006 06:05PM
That is good info to Know, Ketch. Thanks.

My dealer is removing the wet areas as we speak. Apparently, PP hasn't updated their formula as you guys have, since it is wet on top of the seam sealer in my case. It is also in random, splotchy areas throughout.
Regardless, I don't want to have the product reapplied, as now I've been driving the car for several weeks, and I don't want to seal in any dirt/road grime that wasn't present when the car was "new".
-gambi06
October 18, 2006 06:45PM
We found that on some of the lower end Toyota models, were the worst for the seam sealer problem.

While we were addressing it, I had one of our 5 shops, spray the seam sealer with some cheap black paint, let it dry, then apply the undercoating.

It worked, the undercoat would then dry, seems that it was pulling some of the actives out of the materials used to make the sealer.

If you intend to keep the vehicle, you may wish to rethink not having the product.

Look closely at the "finish" that is under the car, only some ecoat and tinted primer.

One or two good rock hits, break this small amount of paint protection and you will have some corrosion issues.

If you are not going to keep the car over two or three years, I wouldn't worry about it.

Ketch
October 19, 2006 04:00AM
Ketch:

This would be a good one for the PDTA Site. You agree?

Stephen A Britz

October 20, 2006 03:13AM
Ketch,
I do intend on keeping the vehicle for several years, and I will definately be keeping a close eye on the undercarriage...especially since it has been subjected to God knows what, in terms of methods to remove the undercoating.
It's not that I don't want some sort of protection, I just don't want Perma Plate's product on my car. I have had such a bad experience with them, that I don't feel I should patronize their business. I also don't feel that they back their product should there be a problem. (At least not without a fight, and a rash of blaming everyone else first).
Anyway, I go to the dealer in the morning to pick my car up. We'll see how it looks. I'll keep you posted as to what resolution we ultimately come to.

Best,

-Gambi06
October 21, 2006 05:47PM
Well, I'm at least half satisfied. I got half of my money refunded for the "Protection package", so that's $500 back in my pocket.
The bad news is, getting them to effectively remove the old product is like pulling teeth. They got some of it out of the wheel wells, but didn't touch any other area of the underbody! I really don't know how I could've expressed "Get ALL of the wet crap off of my car!" any more clearly. Also, since it looked really bad after scraping the other stuff off, they sprayed canned, Motorcraft rubberized undercoat back on (which I didn't ask for) and it appears to be reacting with the permaplate stuff underneath! It's pattern-cracking, and not drying. I give up.
I'm certainly not returning to the dealer for it. Every time they touch the car it's worse. At least since I've gotten some money back, so I can justify maybe removing this stuff myself. A classic example of the ol', "If you want something done right..." saying!

-gambi06
October 26, 2006 05:42AM
Yea, I just got the news yesterday that we have discontinued all PP products from our shelves. I know that doesn't help you, but maybe someone out there will read this thread and decide against applying PP products to their car.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login