Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Auto painting which is best

Posted by ube656 
Auto painting which is best
November 07, 2006 03:41AM
Here is a dumb women question.

I would like to know if I can get a servicible paint job from a cheap paint shop or if it really is better to spend a lot of money. I have a 10 year old Toyota Camery. Just recently the paint started sloughing off. I hope to keep the car another 5-10 years so need to protect it for that long. Is it better to get it painted every 5 years or use better paint and not need to paint again?
Re: Auto painting which is best
November 07, 2006 09:46AM
You get what you pay for. If you want to paint it every five years, it's your money.
I would go to a few quality auto body shops, get some estaments, and go from there.
A cheap paint job looks cheap. If you are going to keep your car for that long, I
would spend the extra money and get abetter paint job.
Good luck . Joe
November 08, 2006 03:15AM
Joe is right. If you spend some money, you can get the exact factory color.
Cheap shops promise to use the same color but will often use a color of their own that is close to the factory color. Any areas they fail to cover such as under the hood won't match thei paint. Cheap paint jobs are good for cars you are about to sell.
Doug
November 08, 2006 03:31AM
Please describe in detail what is happening to your current paint job. What it looks like, feels like, color, is it dull?, clearcoat peeling away?, all scratched up? please describe in detail. Maybe it can be saved!

Detailing, An Art In Motion!
November 13, 2006 09:33PM
The edges on the doors right under the windows look like the paint is peeling. Sort of like when you get too much sun and the sun burn starts peeling. I don't see anywhere where I can lift paint off, it justs looks like it has been lifted off. On the hood, there is an area that looks like someone boiled the paint. The spots look like the paint bubled from the heat.

I live in Florida and my car is 10 years old-Toyota Camery
November 13, 2006 10:18PM
If I was going to re-paint my 10 year old camry I would probably take it to one of the reputable high-end shops in town, for the very simple reason that they pull the doors, hood, etc to clean and paint all jambs, gas hatch area, etc. Make sure that whoever paints the car knows that you will not accept paint over paint without assurance of proper adhesion in writing, that the paint will need to last at least 10 years. Myself personally, I would have them remove all layers down to the substrate, to start with a fresh surface. You as the owner of the vehicle need to understand that there is going to be some work on your end to keep the paint in great condition, more than just washing, waxing. So, you may consider doing some research into the current paint systems available to you and really get a good understanding of the painting process and what is involved. Be prepared! before painting! If I can help you with reading materials, etc let me know.

Detailing, An Art In Motion!
November 14, 2006 12:48AM
Thank you for the information and offer of help. I will do some investigating and let you know if I need help. Thanks again.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login