Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Help with carpet

Posted by pwee 
Help with carpet
December 07, 2006 08:11PM
ran in to dirty carpet. oily water inside please help.
Re: Help with carpet
December 08, 2006 04:50AM
If it is as bad as you say. Take the seats out of the vehicle and take out the carpet and hang it up and power wash all the dirt and oil out of the carpet.

Vacuum all the wate out and let it dry completely.

Then follow these steps:

1. Vacuum out any dry soil
2. Use appropriate spot removers to remove stains
3. Pre-Spray with a carpet shampoo to breakdown oily soil on fibers
4. Friction Scrub with hand brush or rotary shampooer
5. Extract out shampoo and oily soil residue
6. Vacuum and let dry - it should be clean. If not repeat steps 3 to 6.
7. Replace in vehicle.

Regards
Bud Abraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS
buda@detailplus.com

buda
December 08, 2006 02:36PM
If you dont have an extractor and the proper chemicals I would take it to a PROFESSIONAL DETAILER.
December 08, 2006 07:16PM
Pwee-

It occurs to me, you may have mold problems by now. If you do, Gina ( Concoursgarage ) may be your "go to" person. You may find it best to replace the padding, the carpet or both.
Doug

" Growth is never by mere chance. It is the result of forces working together. "
-J.C. Penney 1927
December 08, 2006 08:33PM
Thanks for help guys,only the front driver side is real bad the back is just dirty. what should i use for dirty side.
December 08, 2006 09:11PM
As others have suggested go to a professional detailer. If it is only the driver's side the same problems exist and you do not have the equipment, chemicals nor expertise to recondition that carpet yourself and will probably damage it as well as not getting it properly cleaned which will haunt you when it comes time to sell the car or turn it back if on a lease.

Regards
BudAbraham
December 09, 2006 12:34AM
Any vehicle containing water is bad and indicates the presence mold and mildew growth, in carpeting, under-padding, floor board and throughout the vehicle. In this particular case the problem is further compounded with "oil”

The type of clean up will be determined by the following:
Category of water - Cat 1 clean water) from an open sun roof or open window or (Cat 3 black water) hazardous run-off from the street.
Type of oil present – cooking oil, lamp oil (Tiki torch) gasoline or kerosene
Type of substrate under carpeting (sponge or jute)
Any computer modules on flooring

While equipment and chemicals are important SKILL AND EXPERIENCE is required for this type of clean up

You will need to take your vehicle to a “professional detailer” preferably one who is certified in mold remediation and who SPECIALIZES in odor removal and water damage remediation.

Interview him/her extensively and have him write out a contract detailing exactly what he proposes to do, for the mold and odor removal. Shampooing with chemicals WILL NOT REMOVE THE MOLD AND MILDEW NEITHER WILL IT REMOVE ANY OILY SMELL
December 09, 2006 11:22AM
Sounds like a case for just replacing the carpet. Probably a lot cheaper too.

December 09, 2006 06:28PM
Gina

How does a detailer become certified in mold remediation? Do not know of any detailers that are certified by some independent body to be a detailer, let alone certified in mold remediation. I know that the jan-san industry does has courses for their people that offer certification in mold remediation, is this what you are referring to?

Regards
Bud Abraham
December 09, 2006 07:17PM
There are courses that you can take for everything.

detailing. $2200 for a week long detailing course
buffing. $1800 for a 3 day course
glass chip repair...
paint chip repair
paintless depnt repair

the list goes on

you take the courses you get certified.
But for most of these things you have to aply your self to refine the skills your self.
December 09, 2006 07:46PM
At present there are many independent bodies that can certify one to be a professional detailer. Many manufacturers offer training programs and at the end of the course work attendees receive certifications that proclaim them "professional detailers" The question as to whether we accept them as credible certification is another.

Anyway any person engaged in the business of detailing can further their education by e-learning, specialized training programs or attending Universities, Community Colleges (Autobody) Vocational Training Schools, I-car (detailing and autobody) with testing for ICAR and ASE certifications and receive a thorough education on detailing and autobody repaint and refinishing. There are even some universities that offer specialized training course on paint coatings

Detailers can also attend IICRC, ASCR, CRI, AFIC certified courses ranging from fabric care, carpet care, leather cleaning to mold remediation, fire, and water damage.
December 10, 2006 01:30AM
CONCOURSGARGE:

Learned something today THANKS, But wouldn't an ozone machine kill the mold? Must admit I was not a fan of this device at first but thing have changed.
December 10, 2006 03:47AM
Certified Mold remediators have to observe and follow specific cleaning standards for mold remediation and they do not include the use of ozone machines.

In fact the cleaning methodology must be documented step by step including the use of every chemical and equipment. In some cases it might be necessary to hire an certified industrial hygenist to access the damage, write the clean up protocols, and sign off after clean up to verify that the job was satisfactorily done to avoid liablity.
December 10, 2006 11:52AM
Still sounds like a case for just replacing the carpet.

December 11, 2006 04:23AM
Gina:

Thank you for the information can you tell where a detailer can be certified for $2200 and on buffing for $1800? I am not aware of any courses that claim to offer "certification."

And, as you say, who says the certification is credible? We offer an excellent training course and I am personally satisfied that those having gone through the course know how to detail, but I would not be so bold to say that my trainee's are "certified."
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login