Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Wax/Polish/Compound in Crevices

Posted by Duncan Carter 
Wax/Polish/Compound in Crevices
September 05, 2003 02:00AM
<HTML>Hello,

I wanted to know different types of methods for preventing or cleaning wax, polish or compound from crevices on a car and the logos.

I have tried to clean up the wax using a nylon toothbrush, but it leaves fine scratches on the paint, is their a better way or better brush to use?

Thanks,
Duncan</HTML>
Re: Wax/Polish/Compound in Crevices
September 05, 2003 12:24PM
<HTML>Using a horse hair detail brush is much softer and less abrasive than nylon. gary</HTML>
<HTML>Duncan, you can do several different things.

1/ Mask off these areas with masking tape , it does not take too long once you are practiced at it, and the time you invest in masking these areas will be probably less than the time you spend fine detailing the trim and logos etc.

2/ You could dress the trim before you buff, this puts a thin film over the plastic trim and can help to make it easier to wipe off.

3/ Use an eraser to remove wax from black plastic trim , this was posted on this forum by someone else, and I apologize for not being able to remember who it was , but they suggested using a Magicrub eraser by Stanford, we used this idea and it works really well !

4/ We also use 'foamies', those little foam paint brushes you can get from the hardware store, soaked in a little bit of Aquagloss from Malco, this helps to get the more stubborn build up out of those deeper crevices etc. You can also use it on trim as it does not leave any stain on these surfaces.

Hope this helps.

Jim.</HTML>
<HTML>Hey Jim, What is aqua gloss? I use some of Malco's dye, and their imperial paste wax, in the black tin.</HTML>
<HTML>AquaGloss is one of those spray on waxes you put on the car while its till wet..we were given a bottle of it by our local rep , but we never used it , not really a detail bay process, but we tried it on this and it worked really well

its at

[www.malcopro.com]

We use quite a few Malco products...Rejuvenator, Tru-Grit, Liquid Micro , Liquid Flash Wax, Leather and Plastic Cleaner, Leather Conditioner (which includes Mink oil).

Hope that helps.

Jim.</HTML>
<HTML>Thank you, Yep I forgot about the true grit, some pretty powerful stuff, cant stand the smell though.</HTML>
September 08, 2003 10:29PM
<HTML>If you will take a horse hair paint brush and cut it down some it works really good.

Bentley</HTML>

Superb Shine Auto Care
January 24, 2007 02:50AM
This old thread contains valuable tips....
I'd add that an eraser can be used to dig wax out of seams and crevices.
With practice, one can avoid getting wax where he doesn't want it by laying it on thinly and wiping it on parallel to edges to avoid going over the edge.
To get it off of logos without scratching, brush with a generous amount of detailing spray such as Griot's Speed Shine, AM's Body Shine or Mother's Showtime.
Doug
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login