Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

express detail

Posted by Phil Goode 
express detail
November 08, 2003 02:04PM
<HTML>After reading a few articles by Bud (I bought his manual) I was curious how many offered this service and to what degree?
I am also curious if there is any advice on how to target market this service? If any of you experince problems bumping up from an express to full service detail on the cars that need it?
It seems to me that the express detail could be marketed to the general public.
Bud, how about some price guides ( ihave the ones in your book but thought perhpas your thoughts may have changed in the meantime since you wrote the article)</HTML>
Re: express detail
November 09, 2003 03:24AM
<HTML>Are you going to detail mobile or fixed. How much time do you want to spend on the project and still call it a express detail</HTML>
November 09, 2003 03:58AM
<HTML>Phil:

There is no such thing as Express Detailing for a detail operation that is not at a carwash.

What they call Express Detailing we call Maintenance detailing services. A wash and wax; a simple maintenance carpet shampoo or a quick interior touch up and dress.

The difference between what the carwash sells and what you sell is this.
1. The customer can have it done anytime they want.
2. No appointment necessary
3. It can be completed in 15 to 30 minutes maximum including the carwash
4. It is done at a low price - from $29.95 to $39.95 per service
5. Most importantly they are already at the carwash.

The carwash operator does not advertise these services off the property, only to their carwash customers which can be hundreds per day. A full service carwash will sell from 10% to over 20% of their daily customers an express service.

A mobile detailer or fixed operation detailer cannot
1. Do it for the customer anytime they want
2, The customer is not already at the shop or location
3. Do it without the customer making an appointment
4. Cannot wash and perform the service in 15 to 30 minutes
5. Cannot do it for $29.95 or $39.95

Yes you can sell maintenance services but why would you want to advertise a low price when you could not even make money at those prices. NO, express services are unique to the carwash business but not something a full service mobile or fixed operation would do.

Besides, there are only labor and chemical costs involved in an express service at the carwash. Maybe $6.00 to $7.00 a car. All other costs are covered by the carwash business.

Regards
bud A</HTML>

buda
November 09, 2003 02:39PM
<HTML>Bud,
My main source of income (with respect to detailing as I have another job) is mobile car washing. Detailing is always an upsale for me. My customers tend to be regular car wash clients of mine. Of course, I do have the occasional detail from referal or what have you. I would like to establsih another upsale for the clients whose car I do maintain. Most of them stay in pretty decent shape.
Another point here is this; the first time I do a car for a client, often I will loose money. The reason is this, typically these cars are in sad shape and in order for me to do it justice, I spend more time on it than I would once I have cleaned it once. However, they could have taken it to the local wash and scratch at a fraction of my price and have a decent result. The results are NOT the same to me but to the client they are. On the other hand, once I do a car I tend to get them on my route. My route grows weekly because of this.
For these customers, there really is no need for full deatiling. I know it, they know it but I need some sort of smaller version (express) to charge for.
There is s guy in Orlando in the yellow pages offering a detail for $89.95 and he is mobile. I am not sure about the market there as I live 50 miles away. I was curious what kind of detail it is and how he sold it. What can be done for ninety bucks?</HTML>
November 10, 2003 12:26AM
<HTML>Phil:

We are on the same page. But what you want to offer is MAINTENANCE Services, not necessarily Express Services.

What I tried to explain is that there is a difference in what the carwash industry calls express and what we call maintenance services.

As you explain your situtation you would offer your customers maintenance services that will not take to long to do. No problem.

As for competition what you must realize is that what the competition does is not a concern of yours. Your customers are your customers. Your prices are based on what it costs you to run your business and make a reasonable profit. You do not know if these lo ballers have any idea of what it costs them to be in business. Usually they do not and that is why they are out of business within 6 months to a year.

You should price based on what it costs you to operate your business and the money you want to make per month doing the service. Nothing more.

What if the competition charged only $49.95. Would you try to meet it? I do not think so. So why do you care at $89.95?

Detail customers are usually not price conscious customers. They want a service and do not want to do it themselves. They will pay a reasonable price for the services rendered. You have to differentiate yourself from the competition. Are you different or the same?

Regards
bud abraham</HTML>

buda
November 10, 2003 06:30AM
<HTML>Phil, If you like the idea of doing express details, I found it to work really well if you can stay in one location to do several customers. During the summer months i go into a health club parking lot and set up tent. A quick wash, vac spray wax gets me $39.95 a pop. In 6-8hrs you can make a nice pay day.</HTML>

Shone A. Rowley
Mobil Brite
Previous Trainer: Auto Magic of Western NY
November 11, 2003 06:09PM
<HTML>express details are a great way to keep clients and get more. i offer a $225 doller special which includes 1 full detail ( $175.00 ) at the beginning and 3 express details ( 40.00 ) once a week to keep there car looking good all month. the object here is to get customers while you are detailing.</HTML>

PRECISION POWER WASHING &amp; AUTO DETAILING
November 11, 2003 09:34PM
<HTML>Shone, how long does one car take (+/_)
Does your tent have any advertising on it?</HTML>
November 12, 2003 04:31AM
<HTML>A car would take me about 25 min on my own. I would nornally have an employee for the day witch would cut it down to 15 min. I would put up a small "A" frame near the tent and also inside at the check in desk. Customers would drop off their keys at my tent and go in and work out. When I picked up their car I would put a "Being Detailed" cone in their spot so they didn't have to go looking for it later.</HTML>

Shone A. Rowley
Mobil Brite
November 12, 2003 04:35AM
<HTML>Dang...my regular customers (weekly) cars take me 45 minutes without wax. Maybe I oughtta start learning some speed.
Thanks for the tips.</HTML>
November 12, 2003 04:37AM
<HTML>Shone...how much did you pay your helper for the day? Did you pay him hourly or a percentage?</HTML>
November 12, 2003 02:47PM
<HTML>I would pay one $6.50 per hr. Another I would pay per car, he was alot faster so I gave him the choice. Per car he was paid $3.50 each complete vehicle. He would make about $12.00 per hr on avarge, but I didn't mind in the least. smiling smiley</HTML>

Shone A. Rowley
Mobil Brite
November 13, 2003 02:32AM
<HTML>Hello -

Usually, car wash business can charge around $25.00 per car "washing" (even as low as $3.00 - $5.00 from gas stations that have automated car washes). An automotive "detail", from a "professional", will cost around $150.00 - $350.00 (I'm in Northern California where prices tend to be higher than other parts of the country, use your own numbers). It will take 6 cars "washings" to generate $150.00; it will take 14 "washings" to generate $350.00. Call me lazy, but I rather "detail" one or two cars a day and not have to wash 6 - 14 cars a day just so I can earn the same amount of money. A business offering "Professional Quality Details" to consumers, rather than competing in the very price competitive Car Wash and Quick Detail arena, needs a lot less customers to make a lot of money.

The best thing any business can do is figure out its financial goals, which means profit earned per job. Or simply, all the money a detailer makes after deducting every expense. Remember, ANY business will fail if it's not profitable.

Errrrr, or you can call it a hobby rather than a money producing job.

Every Last Detail</HTML>
November 13, 2003 03:12AM
<HTML>Hey Shane,

You are completely right but, what better way to expand you customer base than to wash 30+ cars a day for a while. I don't know anyone that does not what a few more customers to add to their pocket. That's when you hire someone and double your income.</HTML>

Shone A. Rowley
Mobil Brite
November 13, 2003 04:04AM
<HTML>Shane:

Are you "Every Last Detail" in New York? I believe you guys had a race car present at the 1/4 mile track in Englishtown, NJ several years back. Is this the same company as yours?</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
November 13, 2003 04:25AM
<HTML>Show me how to get 2 or three details EVERY DAY without comprimising profit margin and I will drop washing cars in a flash.
My car washing is what generates the details.</HTML>
November 13, 2003 07:04AM
<HTML>Brian: I'm located in the Bay Area in N. California. I'm just starting this business (I just completed my fictitious business name filing). Though I was born in NY, I’m not the company you’re referring to.

I agree with Shone - "washing" a vehicle is a great way to build a customer list. Word of mouth is the best advertising. And in the beginning it’s all about building a client base.

Phil: Do you see being able to get a full schedule of details and phasing out having to wash cars to generate customers, in your future? How do you charge for a car wash only and how of that is profit? How often are you successful at booking a detail from a wash only customer?

My business goal is two details per day, it's going to be a challenge to achieve that and I expect it to take a while, but that's why it's a goal. Once I'm doing two per day, I'll hire people and create a higher goal.
I've set up my brochure to offer only three Detail Package. The customer’s car in analyzed and they are sold ONLY the type of Detailing Package the car needs. I realized by offering a pick and choose type of menu leaves people with a lot of questions and I have to explain Detailing 101. Plus, people feel nickel and dimmed, when you explain they MUST get a wax after clay bar or, they only want a polish cause that’s all they want to spend. I offer a couple ala carts only (e.g.: engine detail, etc). Usually, a car with moderate ware and tare requires: interior/exterior clean, steam clean the carpets, clay bar, high speed buff, polish and wax, etc. that’s the most expensive Detail Package. If the car is newer or has been well maintained, then I forgo the high-speed buff, modify the interior detail and exterior work. After either one of those services, the customer will appreciate the savings how effective a "Maintenance Detail" is. Then usually, the car will only need one Detail Package every 6 - 12 months, with "maintenance" package in-between. I’m working on perfecting a system so I can provide complete details for most types of vehicles in various conditions. Though, I will charge more for excess ware and tare and will charge on an hourly bases for service that are not listed that I want and can do.

I live near Silicon Valley in Northern California; I’m lucky to have many big companies employing 100's and some even 1000's of employees, all in close proximity’s. I have one company that alone has 10,000 employees! I offer employee discounts - everyone loves a discount! They see me in the parking lot and that’s great advertising cause I can answer questions, hand them a card offering a discount and hopefully book the appointment before they drive away. Especially when potential customers can see the results and they see how convenient MOBILE service is, they're as good as SOLD. Odds are in my favor that there are two people a day that will need a Detail, because of the area I live in. But, even if a detailer is not in a populated area, two cars per household on average gives pretty good odds of acheiving 2 customers per day.

My opinion is that a detailer shouldn't sacrifice profits; it's not good for any business. Rates should be based on a companies operating costs and how much money you need to make so you can live the life style you want. (Hence, Bud Adams reply earlier). If detailers drop their rates to compete for customers (lowest price wins), then we all get, what we used to call in the microchip business, "eroding of the market"; lost revenues which lowers profits and can even close companies.

Of course, what works for one might not work for everybody. Wow, sorry so long...yikes!

Shane
Every Last Detail</HTML>
November 14, 2003 04:43AM
<HTML>Thanks Shane, I like your vision and hope you meat your goals soon.
I enjoy washing my regualr cars. They seem to really appreciate me and my services.
I would like to do more detailin too though.
Perfect combo...wash the regs and detail the newbies making them regs.</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login