Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Chemical Freezing

Posted by Brian Angelucci 
Chemical Freezing
November 09, 2003 12:00AM
<HTML>Tonight is supposed to get in the mid-20s and was wondering if I should take all my chemicals out of the shop and store them indoors. Has anyone ever had a problem with chemical performance after freezing weather?</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
Re: Chemical Freezing
November 09, 2003 03:20AM
<HTML>BRIAN

LAST YEAR WE HAD A REALLY BITTER WINTER, I HAD TO TOSS ALOT OF WAXES AND POLISHES BECAUSE THEY FROZE AND WHEN THEY THAWED THEY HAD SEPARATED. CLEANERS THERE WERE NOT REALLY BIG PROBLEMS.</HTML>

PRECISION POWER WASHING &amp; AUTO DETAILING
November 09, 2003 03:23AM
<HTML>yes they will freeze we unload the van every time the temp drops below

30 deg.</HTML>
November 09, 2003 03:53AM
<HTML>BRIAN

YOUR BIGGEST PROBLEM YOU WILL FACE IS DONT LET YOUR POWER WASHER FREEZE "BIG PROBLEM" YOUR PUMP CAN ACTUALLY CRACK, YOU NEED TO USE ANTI-FREEZE IF YOU HAVE A SKID MOUNTED WASHER WITH A FLOAT TANK YOU SHOULD FILL THE FLOAT TANK WITH A 50:50 MIXTURE OF WATER AND ANTIFREEZE RUN THE MACHINE ( TAKE OFF THE GUN ) AND PUT THE OPEN HOSE END INTO THE FLOAT TANK SO YOU ARE CIRCULATING THE MIXTURE. IF YOU HAVE A PORTABLE UNIT USE THE SAME 50:50 MIXTURE AND YOU HAVE TO POUR IT IN THE HOSE AND CRANK THE THE ENGINE WITH THE SPARK PLUG OUT.</HTML>

PRECISION POWER WASHING &amp; AUTO DETAILING
November 09, 2003 11:54AM
<HTML>Brian, Byron and Rob are both correct on this one!!!! You must protect all of your chemicals, waxes & power washer from freezing. You mention you have a shop...is it not heated? I am totally mobile but have come up with several labor/time saving ideas over the years. I buy most of my products in bulk which are all stored in a heated garage. I work 95% by appointment so I just carry with me what I need for that day plus a little extra. One plastic crate easily holds all my daily supplies and is all I need carry back and forth to my van. Anything left at the end of the day is easily carried indoors. I deal with the power washer problem a bit differently from Rob but his idea seems perfectly logical and should work but seems a little time consuming to do each day on a portable unit. I have a small electric ceramic heater (about 6" x 6") which I place into the van, put on medium output and plug into an outside outlet. It uses very little electricity and keeps the van in the 40- 60 degree range unless under 20 degrees outside. I have been doing this for several years and it has worked great....no worry about anything freezing. You must of course be sure that the heater is not placed near rags, solvents, fuel supplies. etc. It is wonderful to go out to a warm van in the morning smiling smiley))). Have a great day and Happy Detailing, Ron</HTML>
November 10, 2003 05:00AM
<HTML>Read your MSDS, and labelings for important information and phone numbers to call.</HTML>

The problems of yesterday have produced the blessings of today.
Lot-A-Details, In Seattle
November 10, 2003 05:40AM
<HTML>Everything is indoors at night now. Saving chemicals is worth the 10 minutes in back and forth trips.

Thanks for the help.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
November 10, 2003 06:21AM
<HTML>Waxes and polishes should be your biggest concern. Most solvent base products tend not to freeze. Airasoles (bad spell) are another prob. They tend not to work properly when they get to cold.

Hey Byron..... Have you tried a small space heater? They work great inside vans. Also makes it nice to climb into on those chilly mornings.</HTML>

Shone A. Rowley
Mobil Brite
Previous Trainer: Auto Magic of Western NY
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login