Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Cleaning Automotive Glass

Posted by Frank Canna 
Cleaning Automotive Glass
August 14, 2004 11:19PM
<HTML>It has been my experience that it is always better to spray the window cleaner directly onto a cloth during the cleaning process, rather than spraying the glass directly.

By not spraying the glass you will definitely reduce the chance of seeing those 'little spots' that permanently stain the dash caused by spraying a 'butyl' component glass cleaner.

I have been using this process to clean automotive glass for a long time and I have never caused any type of damage.</HTML>

Re: Cleaning Automotive Glass
August 15, 2004 02:11AM
<HTML>Has anyone ever caused any type of damage to a vinyl dash as a result of spraying the cleaner directly onto the glass?</HTML>

Re: Cleaning Automotive Glass
February 04, 2007 07:55PM
This old thread can now be answered. I recently consulted a representative of STONER, maker of Invisible Glass. Invisible Glass contains butyl cellosolve.
The spokesperson says that incidental overspray onto vinyl will not hurt anything. You should simply wipe off any glass cleaner that lands on the vinyl.
So...the "permanent staining" is just another urban legend of detailing and we can spray dirctly onto the glass if we so desire.

NOTE: Bud says that directly spraying a chemical onto a surface allows the chemical to better emulsify contaminants.

Doug
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login