Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Mildew Stains on White Convertible Top

Posted by S Bough 
<HTML>Have a customer with a white vinyl convertible top that has black mildew stains pretty much all over it.

I don't know what chemical/procedure to use to remove the stains and not damage the top.

As always...any help or advice greatly appreciated!

Steve</HTML>
Re: Mildew Stains on White Convertible Top
November 09, 2003 07:33AM
<HTML>Steve:

Use of a degreaser and a nylon scrub brush should do the trick but keep the paint wet at all times so the degreaser doesn't have time to dwell on the finish, which can create streaks or even worse, etching.

If that doesn't work, since it's a white top, if everyone else agrees with this procedure, try comet with an upholstery brush. I only used powdered bleach on boats and never have on a car. Vinyl is vinyl and cleans up really well on a boat with powdered bleach. I've never tried it on a car but heard of people who do and had no problems.

After you do this, apply a liberal amount of water-based dressing with UV protectant to soften the vinyl...then buff/wipe excess dressing off.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
November 10, 2003 03:09AM
<HTML>Good suggestion Brian. I think that since Comet eliminates mildew around the house, it would work fine in this situation. While I haevn't encountered this problem yet, another product that comes to mind would be Mildex which is a spray product for removing mildew from the shower. It may be a bit milder than Comet. Just a thought.</HTML>
November 10, 2003 04:01AM
<HTML>That's right. Try the less aggressive cleaner first working your way towards a more aggressive until the stains are removed.

Does the makers of Mildex make Tilex?</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

November 10, 2003 04:03AM
<HTML>One and the same Brian. Tilex rules!!!</HTML>
November 10, 2003 07:03AM
<HTML>If you do use a bleach type cleaner, remember to neutralize the bleach after. That will help stop the bleach from doing any damage, just like a acid rim cleaner. Though they are different, they both reactivate when they get wet.</HTML>

Shone A. Rowley
Mobil Brite
Previous Trainer: Auto Magic of Western NY
November 10, 2003 03:37PM
<HTML>Great point, Shone!! You're absolutely right. I know when I clean wheels with an acid based spray, I neutralize with a degreaser. What would you use to neutralize the bleach?</HTML>
November 10, 2003 08:47PM
<HTML>Any multi-purpose cleaner or degreaser should do the trick.</HTML>

Shone A. Rowley
Mobil Brite
November 11, 2003 12:33AM
<HTML>Shone:

You were an Auto Magic product/procedure trainer?</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

November 11, 2003 11:27PM
<HTML>One thing to be careful of when using bleach or bleach contianing product on a convertible is the threads...bleach can weaken the threads...You may have to resort to that but be careful if you do this often. what kind of convertible top is it...cloth or vinal? although you probably already did the car...lol...please post the results...</HTML>
<HTML>Go to these professional products RAGG TOPP @ www.topoftheline.com
AMAZING ROLL OFF @ www.properautocare.com those other product does not say the can be used on VEHICLES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Plain and simple thats not profesional at ALL.</HTML>
November 12, 2003 12:45AM
<HTML>Being professional means knowing the chemistry and how a product works. Also knowing the tips and secrects of different products. Even though it doesn't say don't use of a vehicle doesn't mean you can.

For instance: rubbing alcohol. Removes painted on pinstriping but doesn't say on the bottle can be used on vehicles.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

November 12, 2003 12:47AM
<HTML>Correction:

Even though it doesn't say can use on a vehicle doesn't mean you can't.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

November 12, 2003 04:24AM
<HTML>Hey Brian, yes I did work for our local Auto Magic distributor as a trainer. I have gotten to work with some of the best in the business. When he sold the distributorship I also left. I loved training others, thats why I like this board so much.</HTML>

Shone A. Rowley
Mobil Brite
November 14, 2003 12:31AM
<HTML>i ues soft scrub with bleach.my girl freind has a white top on a vw.i scrubed it with that stuff and a brush.it was a mess..lol took me 2 hours but it looked like a diff car when finished.we broke up and i saw the car the other day.the top was lookin almost black.hahahaha</HTML>
November 14, 2003 02:06AM
<HTML>Her new boyfriend is probably afraid to get his hands dirty!</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

November 16, 2003 02:56AM
<HTML>hey brian......yea i hope he is havin fun cleanin that vw carpet...doh</HTML>
November 16, 2003 04:01AM
<HTML>Got that right!</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login