Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Engine degreaser/rookie detailer

Posted by kramvols 
Engine degreaser/rookie detailer
March 17, 2007 01:03AM
Im gathering info on getting my mobile business going. One question is about cleaning the engine compartment. Do you apply the degreaser and then use a steam cleaner or remove the cleaner with a pressure washer? Im excited about the business, but a little overwhelmed on what start up materials to buy( packaged deals or buying of the shelf at local stores to get started on a lower budget). Thanks for the help.
Re: Engine degreaser/rookie detailer
March 17, 2007 01:50AM
Kramvols-
Scroll down the thread list ( use the control panel to collapse threads if need be ). Read the posts on the thread entitled " Safety Tips For Underhood Detailing ".

Some people pressure wash engines and some steam clean them.

Welcome to the forum.
Doug
March 17, 2007 01:56AM
1st
Do your home work and use QUALITY product from a company that has been around along time that give you SUPPORT in ever way

2nd
I have a release form for engine detailing newagain@ec.rr.com

3rd
Do a search here on all question and read DON'T get caught up in the hype with miracle product. IMO the business end is the most important if it don't make dollars it don't make cents.

4th
BE AWARE OF THE LAWS IN YOUR AREA AND HAVE INSURANCE GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!
March 17, 2007 12:09PM
Kramvols-
Read the thread entitled " Arsenal of Products " to get an idea of what types of products you'll need.
Don't think you will necessarily save money by buying from local retailers. Most pros buy stuff by the gallon from distributers. These distributers can give you advice and support for free. Some well-liked brands include AutoMagic, Optimum, Malco, Ardex, Carbrite and Meguiar's. Buying by the gallon can save you money. Pay attention to the PRICE PER OUNCE as well as the OUNCES NEEDED PER APPLICATION. If you do a lot of business with a particular supplier, he will likely give you free samples of new products so you can "try before you buy ". Big package deals sound risky to me because you could find you prefer another brand but it is too late as you are stocked up with one brand.

That does not mean that I would rule out buying a product from a discount store, auto parts store, dollar store or high end show car product company ( check out Zaino's site ).
Some household products are useful on cars too.
Look for products that help you do a better or quicker job and pay what you have to to get those products.
Example : Bud's Diamond Plus sealant sells for $22.95 per gallon + shipping.
At that rate, a $6 bottle of store-bought sealant costs $48 per gallon + tax.
Read your way through the archives here and you'll find advice on every aspect of pro detailing. Listen to New Again's advice ; the business part is most important. Good luck-and let us know how things go.
Doug

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2007 12:12PM by Doug Delmont.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login