Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

What am I doing wrong

Posted by Scott Horan 
What am I doing wrong
May 09, 2005 11:08PM
<HTML>I am trying to start a mobile service in Kelowna BC, Canada. I have several years experience, most at a Mercedes dealer. I am a student, and am trying to run this on the side, and full time over my summer break. I have all the equipment, but I am not getting much response so far. I know I could be out trying to sell more, but I have been out soliciting in parking lots, and dumping flyers in mailboxes, but I'm not getting response. I put out about 500 flyers one week, and got no calls. Many people I talked to seemed very interested, but never called back. Should I be trying to make appointments right when I talk to people, and the other thing I am thinking is maybe my prices are too low. I want to undercut established companies prices, but I am thinking that maybe I have undercut them too much, and am giving people the impression that I do poor work. Please let me know any suggestions you may have. Right now, I have been giving prices of about $200canadian for a complete detail, and fractions of that for partial packages. I am also working another job part-time, just so that I can make rent and food bills, but it is flexible work, and I can always schedule my appointments first. I do appreciate any tips, and keep in mind that I can not afford typical mass advertising methods such as newspapers or raddio ads.</HTML>
Re: What am I doing wrong
January 28, 2007 12:18AM
Scott

I operate a detail shop out of my home garage for 3 years now. At first I thougt I would make all my money doing private people's cars. This did not last long. like you I put out fliers and advertised but didnt get much business. Then I went to the local dealerships and garages, to my surprise many were looking for a good detailer. I have worked for many dealerships and garages and this is about 95% of my income, I still do the odd private, however the money is in dealerships and garages. Go around and ask them, tell them you do incredible work and can increase the resale value of their vehicles. May take a bit of leg work but eventually it should pay off, that is the way to go, believe me.

Allan Legacy
January 28, 2007 12:38AM
Scott-
Welcome to the forum. Use the control center feature to customize the topic list. Then read the recent Marketing thread. There is a compilation of good ideas there.
One problem I can think of is that you are young. The way to remedy that is to have an older, more authoritative-seeming person do the selling, fronting for you.
Bud's comments are relevant too. Target people with upscale cars that they take pride in. Definitely ask to set up appointments on the spot. Call the customer with a reminder the night before the appointment.
Keep posting !
Doug
January 28, 2007 02:33AM
Scott

I operate a detail shop out of my home garage for 3 years now. At first I thougt I would make all my money doing private people's cars. This did not last long. like you I put out fliers and advertised but didnt get much business. Then I went to the local dealerships and garages, to my surprise many were looking for a good detailer. I have worked for many dealerships and garages and this is about 95% of my income, I still do the odd private, however the money is in dealerships and garages. Go around and ask them, tell them you do incredible work and can increase the resale value of their vehicles. May take a bit of leg work but eventually it should pay off, that is the way to go, believe me.

Allan Legacy
January 29, 2007 01:34AM
Scott-
Your original question dealt with what you are doing wrong. Don't be rough on yourself. It is common to have little or no response to a mass mailing or a blizzard of flyers. Sometimes these methods do better with repetition.
People often express interest in what you are selling because they fear an argument if they express their doubts. For example, imagine what you might say to someone who said he can get his kids to wax his car for free. Most people would rather let you win the argument and escape peacefully. It is an art to get people to speak the truth. It means asking the right questions such as, " Can you see why a professional detail has to cost as much as it does ? " and, " Do you feel as if the cleanliness and protection you get are worth a lot to you "?
You then isolate and overcome the objections. This is easier to do while sitting down with a prospect than while bantering with a passerby you've cornered, of course.
Consider asking detailers who have folded to give you their customer lists.
If a friend has a booth at a county fair or a flea market, ask him to display a stack of your broshures as a favor.
Doug
April 01, 2007 03:45PM
If your mobile go places where your friends work and detail there cars for free to get started,
This way people will see you out there

also keep you truck looking good

where I live I can't put letteringon my van so I put wheels on it and a few details and keep the white clean if you keep white clean people notice

Fred
Barretts Mobile Detaling
West Palm Beach Florida
since 1987
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login