Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Job pricing question

Posted by Rod W. 
Job pricing question
November 11, 2003 02:56AM
<HTML>I've got a question for the experienced detailers. When does the pricing for the detail end and the extra charges begin?

In other words, let's say your price for a full service detail is $179. But, the interior is pretty dirty. You know you'll have to extract the mats at least twice to get them clean. There's some huge globs of sap baked onto the hood and a few stains in the carpet that the usual degreaser or shampoo won't remove. You'll have to use some stain remover and brush/blot them. And there's some stone chips that the owner would like touched up.How do you calculate how much extra to charge? Would any of these be included in your package price?

I know when I'm doing paint work, when I do a touch-up, it includes prepping the surface, mixing the paint and using whatever method (squeegee, dabber, paint brush) to cover the chips & very small scratches. Then, I buff the panel out with some light compound and then seal it. The charge for this service can range from $50-$100 depending on how severe the chipping is.

But, if the owner says that he would like some scratches buffed out on another panel and some deeper scratches worked on involving filling the scratch & wetsanding, then the price goes up because they're different procedures requiring different techniques. I charge a flat fee of $125 to repair a scratch for the first scratch and $25 for each scratch after up to a max of $175/panel. Keep in mind that these are deep scratches, usually down to the metal and cannot be buffed or wetsanded out. this type of repair can take 2-4 hours and require a lot of detailed and tedious labor.

As for buffing out light scratches, I charge $50 for the first panel and $25 for each additional panel. Usually this type of repair is limited to one or two panels and can be done in less than an hour.

But in detailing, I just wanted to know if you add an extra charge for a service that will add extra time and is maybe a little outside the scope of the usual and customary detail.</HTML>
Re: Job pricing question
November 11, 2003 04:57AM
<HTML>Rod:

That's a good question to ask.

I look at it this way: If there is a hard stain to remove and will require a little extra attention, then thats just a part of detailing. When a customer askes me what I charge, I say "I start at $170 but depending on condition it may be a bit more."

For instance, if they have a 2002 Mercedes that is basically in mint condition with a few coffee stains then I won't charge for the extra 10 minutes of stain removal. But if they have grease stains from their shoes or gum stuck on the carpet that left a food coloring stain, then I'll charge extra but not too much. Same reason for paint sealant -- it goes on like a wax and comes off like a wax. No other technical procedures are required. I mean I charge a little more for the sealant since it's just about $10 more for a gallon than a wax.

For upholstery and carpet stain repellant, I'll charge about $15.00 extra. Leather conditioning is part of detailing so there is no extra charge.

As for touch up (5 extra minutes with a solvent and dab brush) I throw that in for free...since when a customer hears that, they're happy and will most likely come back in 6 months.

However, I don't do carpet dyeing or paint touch ups with a spray applicator yet, so I can't help out on this part. But $45 extra for the carpet dyeing shall be sufficient.

Hope this helps!</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
Dan
November 11, 2003 09:05PM
<HTML>For exra services we charge more, you have to, no way around it. We have a basic detail that will remove contaminants from paint and apply a one step sealant, carpets get spot cleaned only(you can find chemicals that you spray on, agitate, then wipe dry with a towel and it wont cause resoiling), leather and vinyl scrubbed and conditioned. This service starts at $140 and goes up depending on size of vehicle.

The next level of service is directed towards neglected cars probably 3-4 years old, we start them at $170, but we are very vague as to prices until we INSPECT the vehicle, and if the caller wont accept a "$150-$250" price quote after you have made clear what your company is all about with quality etc., then, in my opinion, you dont need or want them as a customer, because they are price shoppers and no matter what you say, the price will always play a role. Anyway, this service is a real recondition job that requires high speed polishing and carpet pre-treat and extraction. The degree of repair varies so we give an estimate.

We offer interior cloth protection at $85 with 20% off with purchase of detailing services. Cloth top convertable protection is also the same price with the same discount with detailing services

We also upsell a 1year paint sealant that we start at $150, but we put next to the price "only $55 estimated extra cost with purchase of detailing service".

I try to keep it simple for the customer to understand.</HTML>
November 12, 2003 06:10AM
<HTML>My detailing packages are in four levels 1. maintenance 2.recon light 3. recon medium 4.recon heavy

Each level covers specific work. If my level 4 will not take care of a job I turn it down.</HTML>

-----------------------------------------------------

Plays in the rain --- www.SuperiorShineDetailing.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login