Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Charging Relatives

Posted by Brian Angelucci 
Charging Relatives
November 12, 2003 12:57AM
<HTML>I have several relative's car coming up for a full detail but not sure what to charge them. When I say relatives I mean: father's cousin and my 2nd cousin. Of course I'll give them a break but what is the acceptable amount or percentage to reduce off the total bill and still feel comfortable making a profit.

For instance, I start at $170 for a full detail on a small car in good condition. What is the respectable "family discount?" $125 - $150? The car coming up will only require 4 hours of labor.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
Dan
Re: Charging Relatives
November 12, 2003 04:26AM
<HTML>Offer them something that wont hurt for free. I cant do cars at discount anymore, no time, and my relatives understand this, which is why I got out of doing family members cars. I wouldnt lower the price, just extract those carpets or buff the paint for nothing. Just my opinion.</HTML>
November 12, 2003 04:34AM
<HTML>First of all, are these relatives you see or talk to on a regular basis? If not, then give 'em a free squirt of air freshener and be done with it, lol!!! On a more serious note...

I can see Dan's point. Maybe you can throw in a "free" fabric protection valued on your a la carte menu at $50. Or a free upgrade from wax to sealant. Or maybe just to a light surface cleaning of the engine.

On the other hand, when I read the title topic before I read your post, Brian, the first thought that popped into my head was "Ah, heck, knock of $20. That's what I'd do for my relatives." So there's myview on both sides of the coin.</HTML>
November 12, 2003 12:43PM
<HTML>Interesting topic , Other than my parents no relative gets a discount. They do not expect a discount and would not even ask just as I would not ask for a discount from them. A majority are business professionals of one type or another(Dr's, lawyers, architects, engineers, contractors, realtors and a few teachers). We all try to use a relatives business/services when possible but we never ask for or expect a discount from one another. We have all discussed this type of thing and agree.....of course if one is going through a bad time for whatever reason we all try to help out. We do share ideas and advice out of love and caring but when it comes time for real services for which we normally get a fee.......everyone pays except for parents!!!!! Thinking about it,...( and considering only close family) if I gave all 4 of my children and spouses, 12 cousins and spouses, 10 aunts and uncles, 11 nieces and nephews(& spouses) a discount I would be very very very busy BUT be losing lots and lots of money. Now parents are different....My wife and I detail both our parents cars twice a year, they help and we make it a day of fun and goofing off together. Everyone enjoys the time and everyone enjoys the results....and referrals hehehehe. Just my thought but once you start discounting one the "snowball affect" soon kicks in and before you know it there are invaribly hurt feelings and family members getting mad with one another. Remember "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure". Have a great day and Happy Detailing to all. Ron</HTML>
November 12, 2003 02:57PM
<HTML>Brian:

It all comes down to what it costs you to operate your business. I think I like the advise that you would not ask them for something for FREE if they were doctors or lawyers and they should not expect you to discount your services either.

At best, as someone else suggested give them something extra like a fabric protectant or a free shot of fragrance.

Or better yet, use a paint sealant on the paint instead of just wax and tell them you are giving them the same protection that a dealer sells for $500 at no extra charge.

Let us know what the results of this are.

Bud abraham</HTML>

buda
November 16, 2003 03:04AM
<HTML>i do my parent caddy for free no problem.my 7 brothers and sisters know better than to ask.....my g/f and her mom i got to bite the bullet.one cooks for me (her mom).and the other is self explantory.dirty car.......no p*&$#@.</HTML>
November 19, 2003 10:24AM
<HTML>I took if 5% of the bill. Car only took 4 hours (2000 Honda Accord.)

Not bad! Still met my hourly rate too.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login