Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Speedy Work

Posted by Doug Delmont 
Speedy Work
March 04, 2007 03:39PM
What are your speed secrets ? What speeds up a detail for you ?
Some of the ideas that have been mentioned in past threads are :

1) Keeping spare spray bottles of chemical so you don't have to interrupt a detail when a bottle runs dry ; simply grab the spare.

2) Automated systems such as Bud's Chemspence system .

3) Bud's recommendation to have everything laid out as in an operating room, so everything is at hand and in the order it will be used.

4) Trying to reduce the number of products needed. An example would be using one dressing for all vinyl and rubber-and maybe leather.

5) Using stong cleaners and degreasers that require little agitation.

6) Using a one-step wax.

7) Applying and buffing wax with an 11" orbital buffer.

8) Employing a vapor steam device.

9) Doing another task while wax dries, degreaser dwells etc.

10) Checking the work after each step because returning to the step later will be more time-consuming.

11) Using dressings that can be applied and left to dry ; not ones requiring multiple applications and wiping off of excess.

12) Use of a set procedure because repetition builds speed.

13) Vacuuming and air blasting thouroughly but extracting with a "once-over" to avoid soaked fabrics and long drying times.

14) Replacing filthy floor mats when necessary instead of cleaning them.

15) Assembling an interior cleaning kit to be carried into the car with you so you needn't reach back out for supplies.

16) Task Specific procedures, in which the process is done by tasks rather than by areas of the car. Examples include degreasing engine and wheel wells at the same time or dressing everything in one step.

17) Area Specific procedures in which you do every task in one area and move on.

18) Bud's recommendation of an air-powered brush for carpet shampooing.

19) Grouping your products on the shelf by purpose instead of brand name.

Doug

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2007 12:29PM by Doug Delmont.
Re: Speedy Work
March 25, 2007 11:45PM
Check out www.drillbrush.com for an interesting drill-mounted brush tool. The Mother's Power Ball and the Flitz Ball both look interesting too. I haven't tried drill-mounted tools yet myself.
Doug
Re: Speedy Work-Tools
May 28, 2007 02:33PM
Here is a list of tools that a well-equipped shop can use to turn out work quickly :
1) Broomstick-mounted brushes and mops to speed up the wash process. I include a stiff concrete brush here for getting mud out of truck wheel wells or for scrubbing filthy floor mats. There is also a telescoping bug remover for RV windshields. Cheap plastic sponge mops are great for applying dressing to Jeep cladding and can be used to spread some waxes too.

2) The aforementioned Drillbrush. I've since tried it on carpet stains and was impressed with its rugged construction and performance. The Drillbrush is is made of stiff bristles that should work well on tires but are too harsh for most wheels. Now I really must try the other drill-mounted tools. On another forum, someone said he cleans wheels with a drill by mounting a wooden stick and attaching microfiber towels to it with rubber bands.

3) A grout brush. These can be found at Home Depot and let you get dirt out from around seat track mounts and other tight areas.

4) Soft cosmetics brushes for fine dasboard dusting.

5) Natural-bristle paint brushes with the metal part taped to prevent scratching. These can be used for wheel-cleaning and interior dusting ( in conjunction with a vacuum cleaner ).

6) Plastic putty knife for general scraping.

Feel free to post your tool tips here.
Doug
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login