Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

equipment

Posted by Adam Hatela 
equipment
November 12, 2003 01:46PM
<HTML>I have a question pertaining to equipment.

Now keep in mind I am just starting out, and i'm curious as to what type of equipment I should purchase first to get started. Do many of you purchase online for your heavy equipment as well as your cleaning supplies?

Thanks Adam</HTML>
Re: equipment
November 14, 2003 03:55AM
<HTML>Good shop vac 39 from kmart
portar cable da polisher 105 from lowes
towels terry and microfiber 25 kmart

xp polish from auto magic 20 gallon
xpress wax auto magic 22 gallon

a good non acid wheel cleaner
citrus mp good for dashes door panels ect

Really there are lots of chemicals and tools out there.

Start small and buy wisely because chemicals that i like and work good for me you might not like the way they work or preform same way with tools
But you cant go wrong with the pc and a good set of pads

Get hooked up with meguiers they have a lot of good stuff that you can buy from a local body shop supply

good luck</HTML>
November 14, 2003 04:03AM
<HTML>Adam, for your heavier stuff, (buffers etc) I would use someone local, so if your tools do break, you wont have to worry about shipping it anywhere and waiting for the repair. I got my Porter Cable in town from a reputable tool shop , they are agents for PC and do the repairs on site .

Jim.</HTML>
November 14, 2003 09:47AM
<HTML>I would agree with Jim. If you can, keep it local. Also keep in mind the equipment will be used daily. Don't buy el cheapo and expect it to last to long. Your buffer and vac are probably the two most important purchases you'll make. Not that I'm partial "maybe a little" the Dewalt DW849 buffer is one of the best on the market. I've had mine 7yrs now and rebuilt it once... Your vac is important because with out it you can't do interiors. I have a commercial Shop Vac. It is a little pricey but again, never had a prob. Home Depot gives a great warranty with their vacs. If you have a problem they'll hand you a new one with no questions asked.</HTML>

Shone A. Rowley
Mobil Brite
Previous Trainer: Auto Magic of Western NY
November 14, 2003 10:25AM
<HTML>Adam, You did not say if you were going to be Mobile or have a fixed sight. If Mobile you will need a power washer and water tank at a minimum in addition to the other basics mentioned previously. A generator is also needed if you will be going to sights where no electricity is available for your use. I would try very hard to purchase everything local. You may be surpized that if you really check your area well that you can find all you need (both equipment and chemicals)close by and at prices that are better or comparable to anything you may find on the internet after considering the S&H charges. Have a great day and good luck with your search. Ron</HTML>
November 15, 2003 02:51AM
<HTML>We use the Dewalt DW849 , is a damm good bit of kit in my opinion. Been used for 2 years or so now, and is more or less in constant use , only been back to the repair shop once in two years, and that was through poor care , not through wear.

Jim.</HTML>
November 15, 2003 02:53AM
<HTML>Good point Ron, I got my PC at a supplier about a 5 minute drive away for about $20 cheaper than I could get it online.

Jim.</HTML>
November 15, 2003 06:34PM
<HTML>Thanks alot for the suggestions,
I will start looking local for my equipment.

I'll deffently keep the questions coming.

Adam</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login