Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Possible Sidelines- Gas Mileage Packages

Posted by Doug Delmont 
Possible Sidelines- Gas Mileage Packages
May 17, 2007 02:53AM
I dreamed up this new idea while fretting over $3 a gallon gas.

A detailer could offer a Gas Mileage Package, consisting of things that offer many benefits including incremental improvements in fuel economy. The first step would be to install either a K&N or Green air filter, either of which allows easier air flow and improves efficiency. The second step would be to change the oil to a synthetic such as Mobil One, possibly one with a "0w-" in the viscosity range to make the oil flow easier at low temperatures, reducing resistance in the engine. The third step would be to air the tires to 2 pounds above spec for less rolling resistance. If you prefer, simply air them exactly to spec.
Other possible steps include synthetic rear axle lube and a booklet of gas saving tips to be given to the customer.
The air filters are available from www.autoanything.com and AutoZone etc.
Doug
Re: Possible Sidelines- Gas Mileage Packages
June 21, 2007 05:19AM
Update-
I installed a K & N air filter in my Honda Accord. It appears to bring slight improvements in gas mileage and horsepower. I have no way to test for the improved filtration I'm sure it delivers. The engine is slightly louder with the K&N installed. Honda advises everyone to use the Honda genuine filter partly because it suppresses noise best.
The filter companies also make high performance intake kits, which look interesting too.
For gas saving tips, try www.fueleconomy.gov and Edmunds.
Doug

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2007 05:22AM by Doug Delmont.
Re: Possible Sidelines- Gas Mileage Packages
July 04, 2007 04:42AM
my 01 Yukon XL 2wd 5.3L, gets 20 to 21 mpg on the highway with a K&N af, syn oil, around town regularly gets 15 to 16mpg. And I check it regularly to keep track. It just dosen't get any better than that, driving in comfort and stlye, and decent mpg to boot!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login