Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Sealant & Wax Test Results

Posted by Bud Abraham 
Sealant & Wax Test Results
November 13, 2003 11:18PM
<HTML>Because several detailers have been asking about the results of the test the following will give you the top three products in each of the three catagories:

GREATEST PERCENTAGE INCREASE IN REFLECTIVE SHINE AFTER APPLICATION (as measure by a Glossometer)

1. Klasse 32.8% increase in gloss
2. TST - 5000 32.6% increase in gloss
3. Valuguard 32.0% increase in gloss

PERCENTAGE OF GLOSS DECREASE/INCREASE AFTER 12 WASHINGS

1. Zymol Cleaner 5.16% increase in gloss
2. Aerospace 1.8% increase is gloss
3. DIAMOND PLUS 0.01% decrease in gloss

SALT WATER CORROSION TEST (resistence to salt water)

0 = Superior, no rust
1 = Excellent, little or no rust
2 = Good, small amount of rust
3 = Fair, some rust

1. DIAMOND PLUS
Zaino Bros
885 Fleetwax
2. Ultra Coat
Zymol Carbon
3 Aerospace
#218 Polywipe
#845 Collinite
Zymol Cleaner Wax

It is interesting to note that products that had the greatest gloss dropped down after 12 washings and most were far down on the list when it came to durablity.

That is consist with chemistry as the ingredients that enhance shine have nothing to do with durability. in fact, the chemists tell me that to get to get a product to have a hign shine takes away from durability and vica versa. So what a detailer has to decide is whether they are looking for shine or durability. Ideal is to find that one product that provides a balance of both.

And, when comparing products either for superior shine or durabilty what is the cost? So many of the products in test are considered "boutique" products sold on the internet and charge a very high price for something that is not necessarily anymore superior than a commercially purchase product.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
<HTML>What is tst-5000?</HTML>
Re: Sealant &amp; Wax Test Results
November 14, 2003 04:30AM
<HTML>I asked not long ago if a wax or polish could be used after sealant and was told that you could but why would you? Because, after a few weeks, the gloss dies down. If one waxed OVER the sealant, theoreticaly the shine would increase BUT would the sealant be removed?
In keeping with this same line of questioning, is this why polishing THEN sealing causes shine from polish to fade?</HTML>
November 14, 2003 05:30AM
<HTML>I hadn't heard of TST-5000 either, but a search on Google found it pretty quick. It's a company that uses Teflon as a sales pitch. And the going rate seems to be about $300 per application!</HTML>

David
November 14, 2003 05:31AM
<HTML>BTW, we started a post further down the chain about the test, but this one seems more informative.</HTML>

David
November 14, 2003 08:10AM
<HTML>What is TST - 5000? Total Systems Technology has been around for years selling kind of a franchise. They sell protection programs and chemicals to dealers and others.

They used to have a huge center in Ft. Wayne Indiana that was purchased by an auto dealer group out there and now is run as a conveyor carwash; 8 bay full service detail center; 3 bay express detail center; two wash bays.

A great center.

Anyway they sell protection products, sealant and fabric protectant.

Regards
b ud a</HTML>

buda
November 14, 2003 08:18AM
<HTML>Phil:

The general purpose of a wax or sealant is to provide protection. It could add to shine, but it's major purpose is to add some protection.

If you put on a good sealant why would you want to wax over it? If you use a good sealant it will last a few months.

You could put on a wax after the sealant cures, and all that might do is provide a protective barrier over the sealant to protect it.

So, I guess if you wanted to do that it is OK, but no necessary.

If the gloss from the sealant wears away in a few washings you might want to check out another sealant, but I do not think it should wear away too much to speak of. If you wanted more shine just add some more sealant over the sealant already there.

I did not know that sealant fades the shine of the polish. I find just the opposite with our sealant it increases the shine. In fact, you will see from the report that you get an increase in gloss of 30% after applying the sealant, not a fading.

Regards
bud abraham</HTML>

buda
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login