Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

windows

Posted by andrew randall 
windows
November 14, 2003 12:41AM
<HTML>i been having problems getting windows clean and looking good.i always seem to get a film or streaks.i use primarily spray way glass cleaner.i been trying other store bought stuff.i'm just never happy with the way they come out.i realize that newer cars interior plastics "sweat" and leave a film on inside windows.i been doing this since 1989 and am no "noobie".any suggestions would be greatly appreciated thanks,drew</HTML>
Re: windows
November 14, 2003 02:04AM
<HTML>Hi Drew:

Try Invisible Glass and a clean microfiber towel. This should do the trick. I used to use professional window cleaner from the janitorial store that window washers use. It was good but then I tried Invisible Glass and never went back to using anything else.

Sometimes I use Auto Magic's aerosol glass cleaner on the newer high end cars just to give it that polished look.

I'd take Invisible Glass over any cleaner anyday.

Invisible Glass is made by Stoner. Check out the site here: www.invisibleglass.com.

Good luck.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
November 14, 2003 03:13AM
<HTML>I like the Stoner Invisible Glass also but I first spray then scrub with a clean terry cloth towel and do a final dry wipe with a clean waffle weave microfiber towel.I found this method really leaves a streak free window.</HTML>

Lead, follow or get the hell out of the way...
November 14, 2003 04:21AM
<HTML>I have learned a thing about glass as of late. I tend to be outside in the sun and here in Florida, that can really suck. The glass gets too hot for the product to work before the water evaporates. Now that it has cooled down some...the problem did not go away. Until recently, in a manual or book ( I think it was Buds manual) I read where filtered water can make a difference. It does...one huge difference. So does correct mixture. I think that any glass cleaner would be fine so long as it has the proper ratio water to cleaner and I use soft, DI water.
I have tons of cans and bottles left of different glass cleaner I used trying to solve the problem. All the time it was MY water. Try this, buy a gallon of soft DI water and use it to mix your cleaner with. see if that solves the problem...be sure also to use a micro fiber towel.</HTML>
November 14, 2003 09:35AM
<HTML>I have learned one thing about windows, I hate doing them.... I do believe that the towel or cloth makes the biggest difference. I use Auto Magic's #64 Glass Cleaner with a blue surgical towel. I have never had a problem.</HTML>

Shone A. Rowley
Mobil Brite
Previous Trainer: Auto Magic of Western NY
November 14, 2003 11:09PM
<HTML>SOMETIMES YOU HAVE TO CLEAN THE WINDOW 2X, FIRST I USE CLEAR DIFFERENCE BY AUTO MAGIC SPRAY IT ON HEAVY USE A WIDOW TOWEL WIPE THE WINDOW UNTIL 1/2 THE LIQUID HAS EVAPORATED THEN USE A NEW WINDOW TOWEL OR MICRO-FIBER TOWEL AND BUFF THE REST OUT FREQUENTLY TURNING THE TOWEL. THE FIRST CLEANING GETS RID OF 90% OF ALL OILS AND SMOKE THEN I USE THE SAME PROCEDURE WITH STONERS INVISIBLE GLASS WINDOW SHOULD BE 100%</HTML>

PRECISION POWER WASHING &amp; AUTO DETAILING
November 14, 2003 11:28PM
<HTML>Rob is right on here! We had the discussion a few weeks back. You have to use two different solutions to get the windshield clean in my opinion. Both cleaners have to be made of different base solutions. Such as ammonia base and alcohol base.</HTML>
November 15, 2003 01:35AM
<HTML>We use a glass cleaner called Sparkle . It's made from de-ionized water and it works really well. Just spray it on the towel, wipe it on the glass, then wipe it off with a clean towel. Nice , simple , quick . Is also ammonia and alcohol free. Buy it by the gallon from our local glass compnay .

Jim.</HTML>
November 15, 2003 07:11AM
<HTML>Window cleaning is a problem for numerous reasons.

Key is that you must determine how really dirty they are. Some expect a quick spray of cleaner and an aggressive wipe and then dry will do the trick. Well that will not always work if there is a thicker film on the windows. You may have to repeat the process twice or three times.

Second, if you use a diluted glass cleaner you MUST dilute it as the instructions say. If you under dilute it will streak the windows. A 40 to 1 cleaner means, 40 to 1 not 20 to 1 or 35 to 1.

Third is method. In the carwash business we learned a simple trick. Fold the towel into a pad. Spray on the cleaner then square the window with one side of the pad; flip the towel pad over the work the center rubbing the cleaner into the window.

Then fold the towel to come up with the clean sides and fold into a pad again. Then sqaure the window to dry corners, flip over and dry with clean dry side.

Now you need a new clean towel to do each window. If you use the same towel you are working the dirt from the prior windows into the next window.

If you were using paper towels you always use a new towel (s) for each window. Is it so strange to think you would need to do the same with cloth?

Also, do you wash your window towels with your dressing; grease and wax towels. If you do CONTAMINATION.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
November 15, 2003 02:07PM
<HTML>Windows, windows, windows in my opinion one of the most overlooked items by most detailers(and wheel wells but thats another subject) . Customers want, expect and deserve CLEAN windows. I have won over many customers simply with clean windows. I will try to explain a step by step process that works for me. 1)Save time, When doing the initial vehicle washing /drying do not ignore the windows, look closely and get the bugs and other contaminents during this phase. I have witnessed a number of detailers wash and concentrate on the paint, etc but simply spray water on the windows. If front window is really bad remember the clay bar will work as well here as it does on the paint. 2) If the interior windows are really bad, smokers, etc I intially clean with a solution of water, ammonia and dish washing soap(recipe is available on this site if you do a search). Remember Do Not use this on "after market" window films they will fade and be destroyed. 3) I love Invisable Glass from Stoner for completing the job, both inside and out but use whatever you feel comfortable with. 4) I use surgical towels exclusively for my window cleaning. Buds explanation for folding into pad and refolding as you go is the very best and most efficient way to do windows. Yes it takes more towels but the results are fantastic. 5) Do not forget to roll the windows down a bit and get the top edges(often ignored or forgotten by detailers.) 6) If you desire you can do a final buff with a microfiber used exclusively for windows but I have found this to normally be a waste of time if I follow the steps described . Also do not forget to pay special attention to all corners and around interior mirrors . All this takes a little more time but results in very happy customers when they see windows cleaner than ever before. 6) As Bud said, Washing of the towels is important!!!!! Always wash in hot water by themselves. Any laundry detergent seems to work but be sure not to use too much and to rinse well or soap will be left in the towels and create a film on the windows. I suggest no softeners in washer or dryer since they seem to create lint. I keep all of my window towels seperate from others both when clean and when dirty they go into a seperate bag. I hope this is of some help to some and apologise for the length but simply wanted to make as understandable as possible. Happy detailing, Ron</HTML>
November 15, 2003 05:24PM
<HTML>andrew,

Eagle One 20/20 is an excellant window cleaner when used with the proper towels.

As previously stated you need to seperate your windows towels from all others and keep them strictly for windows. Microfiber towels make great window towels but not all MF's are created equal and many leave horrible lint trails on glass. Waffle weave types are pretty good for glass as they tend to leave the least amount of lint.

Even better is wadded up newspaper. Wad up a section and spray on the glass cleaner and polish away. I would recommend wearing some latex gloves as the ink transfer can get messy BUT the results are the great!

A more complicated process is using a wet MF towel, buff the glass with a dry one and then polish with a soft natural chamois.

Windows are the the key to a finished detail. If they are smeared and spotted they will take away from the most perfect of paint finishes, but if they are gleaming and crystal clear they will add "pop" to an otheriwse average detail.

Anthony</HTML>

Details, Details, Details....It's all in the details!
www.UltimateReflections.NET
November 16, 2003 02:04AM
<HTML>hey much appreciated all the replies...i will try that stoner cleaner.my mom told me about 20 years ago the newspaper trick.i tried it today and seemed to work better.the heat of the window in the sun also is contributing to my problem i think.i did the windows on my truck as well with the newspaper and they looked crystal clear on the road tonight.again thanks and i will hopefully help some of you like you helped me today. drew</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login