Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

INGREDIENTS

Posted by Jerry Slater 
INGREDIENTS
November 14, 2003 11:14PM
<HTML>I read about everyone using different products, everyone has their own prefference. My question is this: How do you know what is in the product? So many of the manufactures don't list ingredients. And while I'm thinking of it I'd like to bring up something else. Bud is always saying to stick with the product that is made for the problem. Hence, use car shampoo to wash a car not joy. I will agree with this statement to a point, but I also keep my eyes open to what manufactures are offering in different bottles. Why pay 10 bucks for a quart of tire wet when I can get the same thing for 3? A classic example would be razor blades. Have you ever priced the difference between women's and men's blades? There is a big difference in price. Same product but one might be pink. Her blades fit my razor and mine fit hers. Another example is bread (I am a full time salesman with large baker in northeast). We market a loaf of Aunt Millies bread for lets say $2.39. When the customer asks me which bread is good I will tell them the Aunt Millie. We also sell the same loaf and put it in a different bag, let's say the bag says Meijer (a large superstore in northeast). Same product, but the Meijer sells their bread for 80 cents less! The only difference is my company makes less per sale along with me since I get paid commision.

any thoughts?

jer</HTML>
Re: INGREDIENTS
November 15, 2003 01:20AM
<HTML>Hi Jerry:

Any thought? Yeah, I want a sandwich with some Aunt Millie's bread! Fluffy bread? hehe

We know whats in the product from the MSDS. Auto Magic put the ingredient right on the label. It's all preference what to use as long as they all do the same thing. Just find the best price with the best help.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
November 15, 2003 01:29AM
<HTML>Good question Jerry .

I think we have to trust the manufacturer to a great extent here. Thats why we usually stick with a known supplier like CarBrite or Malco and many other detail supply companies. These companies dont retail their products to the general public , so they have to be prety straight with us , one bad move and lots and lots of detail/body shops would soon stop using the product. A reputation takes years to earn, and minutes to lose. Our reps are pretty straight with us , and even push us away from some of the products that they carry but dont think much of themselves.

Also you can check the MSDS sheet to get some idea of what is in the chemical you are buying . It is my impression that the MSDS sheet only lists the ingredients that are a health hazard though.

I think ( and this is a wild guess ) that they dont always want us to know the exact mix/content as they may have spent a lot of money developing a product, and dont want it copied . Kinda like Kentucky Fried Chickens secret recipe .

Jim.</HTML>
November 15, 2003 01:32AM
<HTML>Jim:

Exactly. Remember back when I was going to find out the UV protectant ingredient in Armor All? Well I emailed them and responded with a legal explanation why they can't tell me. Made me laugh.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

November 15, 2003 01:37AM
<HTML>Brian, I'd still like to know what a UV protectant is , what makes it work, no one seems to know though..maybe its just one big conspiracy !

Jim.</HTML>
November 15, 2003 07:02AM
<HTML>Jerry:

You ask a good question. You can find out what is in most chemicals by doing some research. The problem is that you will never know exactly what is in a chemical because some of the ingredient choices and the amount are proprietary to a given company.

For example when I tell you that a buffing compound includes the following: water; oil; solvent; abrasive; surfactant; color and maybe fragrance does that help you? If I told you there was 60% water; 10% oil; 20% solvent; 5% abrasive and 5% surfactant and coloring and fragrance does that help you? If I even told you the water was purified; the oil was mineral oil; the solvent, mineral spirits; the abrasive a mix of silica and aluminum oxide; the surfactant, who knows; the color #85 red and the fragrance banana would that help you?

It is important to know basically what chemicals are made of so you can understand how to use them and why. But you need not be a chemist, nor have all of the information that I gave you above. Which by the way, is still very incomplete if you really wanted to understand the nature of the compound you are using.

BRIAN - a Material Safety Data Sheet does NOT LIST all of a product's ingredients. It only lists those ingredients that are hazardous. You must understand this.

As JIM has told you, and more of what I have advocated, buy chemicals that are formulated for specific purposes. And, as Jim states and I have stated numerous times, deal with a supplier that is legitimate and has a good reputation and be sure you like him and can deal with him.

It is as simple as that.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
November 15, 2003 07:38AM
<HTML>Bud:

Thanks for pointing that out. I didn't know that.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

November 16, 2003 05:04AM
<HTML>I was told recently something about manufacturers and it sounded like it could be true. The example was Car Brite so I will use them.
It can get very expensive shipping water based product cross country, so local distributers will buy water based products and mix BUT will also get the formulation and have a local chemist mix the product as to avoid heavey shipping costs. If this is true then I may really never know what is in the product EVEN if Car Brite were to suplly me with the formulation.</HTML>
November 20, 2003 03:39AM
<HTML>Phil, I asked about this at Car Brite while I was there, and your source was inaccurate. The rep was kind of bemused by it . The distrubitors buy the inventory in large quantities and it is shipped all in one go to the their own warehouse, so they pay to have a semi bring the stuff in , it i not sent in a concentrated from or any other way , simply sent in the same way that you would buy it , in the container ready to sell.

Jim.</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login