Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Professional Detailers???

Posted by Pressure 
Professional Detailers???
July 21, 2007 05:25AM
Im trying to figure this one out,I understand the need to call ourselves Professional in the market place. Honestly speaking though there is no collective agreement, certification or set training method in place that we can truly call ourselves Pros.
In saying this, I dont mean any disrespect to all the people that go out there day in and day out and do their best to give the public a great detailing experience, as I do this myself.
Basically what I am trying to say is, as impossible as it seems, (because of all the different skills, knowledge, trials and error that come with detailing at a high level) maybe coming up with a simple format, which there are a few out there. training those that are interested in going into detailing as a trade. setting up some sort of certification which would require practical and theoritical teaching by seasoned pros, would raise the bar for detailing as a trade. shops could charge higher rates, employees could have higher wages, with a decreased employee turnover, among many other advantages this could have.

just a thought........
GSD
Re: Professional Detailers???
July 22, 2007 02:40AM
I have seen TAFE in Australia offer a course in Automotive Detailing which was a very basic 12 week course. I'm not sure if the course is running anymore though. You're right, there needs to be a certification or awards system where you can obtain further training, or a qualified trade. I've been working for car dealers in detailing departments for the past 8 years and its amazing the amount of car washers who call themselves "detailers" just because they can wash and chamois a car. Along with many people in my situation I'm on minimum wage but detailing is on my mind practically 24/7 so I continue on with it as my chosen career. As for starting a business... with the amount of government fees and taxes, its a wonder how anyone self employed can afford to pay a mortgage as well as eat.
July 27, 2007 04:20AM
GSD :
Here's an idea that might beat the minimum wage trap. You decide if it has possibilities :
Arrange to do high-quality details by appointment for an existing car dealer, body shop etc. Use that business's credibility to justify the price and your claims of top quality. Set up appointments for days when you are off of your regular job, weekend being ideal. If you got 320 bucks for a detail and even gave half to the business you work for, you would be paid $150 minus your expenses for a day's work.
There would be no need to generate business simply to stay busy so you could keep your prices high. Most of the business owner's expenses are already paid so whatever you give that business is profit. Who knows ? Maybe your present employer will consider this.
Price and other specifics here are for illustration only.
Doug
July 29, 2007 04:24PM
My employment takes me to many fine restaurants, a certain chain of diners being a prime example. One thing I've noticed is that many such diners are dirty, except maybe for the food preparation areas.
They have a system under which the staff cleans up whenever they aren't busy ( Translation : Nothing gets cleaned properly ).
The reason I shared this is that I can see a possible business for someone who would go around steam cleaning, mopping and wiping down diners. If you could have a crew in and out in an hour for a hefty sum, it would have to pay better than detailing.
Feel free to respond-and I hope this makes money for somebody.
Doug
August 27, 2007 08:05PM
There is a place here in PA that does a two-three day course where you learn marketing and hands on detailing. I am very interested in taking it once I get the time and the money

www.detailking.com
August 30, 2007 02:15AM
Guys-
Certification has been discussed before. Use the search feature.
Both AM and Meguiar's give seminars for pros and issue certificates for attending.
Re: Professional Detailers-Assembled Wisdom
October 19, 2007 12:14AM
Gentlmen-
I decided to add to this old thread for the benefit of all of the pro detailers. Most of the ideas did not originate with me so I ask no credit.
1. I do not believe in using the government to create a 'closed shop'. Our country interferes enough in business and we waste enough money paying bureaucrats, so forget licensing, please.
2. Certification might work but it isn't going to solve everything. Focus on what counts.
3. To differentiate yourself from the competition, you must deliver the " whole package ", meaning you must dress nicely, have a clean and attractive facility or mobile rig, stay in business long enough to establish a reputation and repeat client base, deliver a consistent level of quality, complete jobs on time, keep costs down, manage expectations but deliver a little something extra, be insured and in compliance with laws, provide whatever extra services your market demands ( loaner cars, a waiting room, credit card payment, pick-up and delivery, rides home for customers, touch-up painting ), advertising that is tasteful and well targeted and a personality that makes people like / respect you.
The above is how you earn the right to charge enough to stay in business and make a good profit. Unless you differentiate your business from the many others, people will expect your prices to compare to those of everyone else....Which brings us to number...
4. Charge a high enough price to cover all of your costs including a salary for yourself. Your monthly "nut" must be cracked so figure it out before setting up your business. Everyone tends to overestimate profits and underestimate costs, so beware.
5. Read the archives of this forum and highlight/save anything you find useful.
Create a disk and / or loose-leaf binder from this phorum.
6. Get your standard detailing process figured out so you can do the same things to each car every time, and do them fast.
7. Control costs. This can mean shopping around for supplies and services, negotiating hard with tough car dealers, doing without luxuries in your personal life and reducing damage claims. Avoid vices such as alcohol, tobacco, gambling and carousing.
8. Choose any marriage and business partners carefully ; you can't afford a person who 'takes you for all you are worth' ; see www.bikermatchmaking.com and click on " Don't date her, guys. "
9. Work smart as well as hard.
10. Keep good records. Pay bills on time. Don't let the business get away from you.
11. Don't use the Internal Revenue Service as the 'lender-of-last-resort' ; It is better to fold a failing business than to end up owing the IRS money you were supposed to have saved to pay your taxes.
12. Don't be confused by " black numbers ". Even if your business is turning a profit and you are operating in the black, you may not be doing everything right and you may not be making as much of a profit as you should be making.
13. Visit the "marketing" thread on this forum for info on that subject.
14. Read books. Bud recommends The 'E' Myth Revisited by Gerber. I recommend, Black Rednecks and White Liberals by Thomas Sowell. There are countless books on salesmanship by authors like Joe Girard and Jerry Bresser, books on negotiation by Herb Cohen and others as well as videos and audio presentations. Visit the local library to order these free. Search the Web too.
15. Think carefully about having children. Today, young women are using pregnancy to trap boys and men into marriage ( I believe more often than ever before ! ). A child can cost easily $300,000 to bring to maturity. If you get one with special medical problems, the sky's the limit. A child can mean the end of your dream of owning your own shop. I'm in favor of sterilization for young men ( voluntary, of course ! ) though most people disagree with me. Worldwide overpopulation is helping to drive us into poverty, wars, famine, pandemics and ecological ruin.
I invite those with opposing views to post.
16. Don't settle for a low income. If your business is only paying you $30,000 a year, you've bought yourself a job. You may be in need of changes.
17. Businesses succeed by doing things in a business-like way :Keeping regular hours, answering the phone before the third ring, being a good neighbor and practicing the Golden Rule.
18. Many businesses fail because they are under-capitalized . It can take some months before you get things going well enough to start taking a salary out for yourself. You need cash reserves to cushion you during the critical start-up period. Save up as much money of your own as possible before diving in.
20. A common fault of service businesses is being under-mechanized or under-equipped. Primitive tools don't make a good impression on customers and they represent built-in inefficiency.
21. Have a lawyer review contracts before things go wrong. Consult real estate agents before you decide to lease a particular shop location. Draw up a business plan before you make the final decision to go into business. Plan ahead.
22. Scrutinize yourself for personality flaws. Remember that you are in business for only two reasons : to make money and to enjoy making good things happen. You must not hinder your success by doing things that feed your ego at the expense of profitability. It might feel good to boss employees around, for instance, but if it creates high turnover, you pay dearly for your ego boost.
23. Teach new hires the culture and philosophy of your shop. Make sure they see their jobs realistically. They must be team members and not feel like your enemies or prisoners.
24. Too many businesses these days run on lies. This feeds employee resentment, frustration and dishonesty. For example : Don't tell an employee you can't afford to give him a raise if you actually can afford to. State your real reason for denying the raise and face any consequences like a man ( or principled woman ).
25. Project honesty. For example : If you are short of cash, you could simply grab some from the cash register since it is your money anyway but imagine the message this action sends your employees !
Good luck to all...
Doug

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2007 05:43PM by Doug Delmont.
October 19, 2007 02:52PM
The only legitimate training course that could be considered "certified" is the ICAR Course.

This organization provides certified course studies for the collision repair industry and a few years ago put together a very comprehensive technical training course for detailing.

The problem is that few, if any, detailers have taken advantage of it.

At this point the industry as a whole, is not interested in certification.

It is simply too easy to get into the business financially. Anyone can be a detailer, just like opening a shoe shine business. I wonder how many of the shoe shine people you see around have had any formal training?

Regards
Bud Abraham
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login