Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Shop Lighting

Posted by Mark Rogers 
Shop Lighting
May 17, 2004 03:55PM
<HTML>Ok here's another one for you guys. What kind of lighting would you recommend for a shop. Lighting that stays just as sharp at night time also.
Track lighting, large bulb lighting? We run a high volume operation and have to thouroughly check each vehicle when completed, so lighting is important, because sales will pick and pick and pick at cars until right.</HTML>
Re: Shop Lighting
May 17, 2004 07:47PM
<HTML>I use flourescent lights. We also installed the bulbs that are really bright white (I believe they are called full spectrum) and it makes a huge difference especially at night. Ideally I would like to have both flourescent and metal halide to really show off the paint imperfections under different light conditions.</HTML>

May 18, 2004 12:46AM
<HTML>I use the heavy duty high output flouresence lights that you buy at ww.Graingers that use 1500 watt bulbs..with the white protective cover it puts out a huge amount...lot of heat too!Last ones I ordered were 110.00 plus 23.00 x2 for the bulbs..The first business I sold had 4 metal halid lights 400 watts 200.00 x 4 at home depot ...that I used 2 on each side of wash pit and also made huge light ....and even huger heat.HA HA great during the winter ...SP right on showing every imperfection!</HTML>
May 18, 2004 12:04PM
<HTML>I'm thinking of sticking with the halid lights which I have on the ceiling, but also adding track lighting, housing high output flourescent bulbs over each bay in the shop. The halid lights are up pretty high and are ok during the day, but at night are actually horrible. I thought a track system (emulating concert rigging), would work great. Also I thought about having one bay with a power track system to raise up and down depending on the height of the vehicle. Then I thought about lasers and flash pods... (just kidding).</HTML>
May 18, 2004 10:42PM
<HTML>I think lighting has been my biggest xpense equipment wise for as long as Ive been in business -labor HA HA</HTML>
December 05, 2007 08:05PM
In my garage I have the lights that construction workes use.The two lights monted on the tri pod. Works good too. Mobile and easy to move! With the halegen bulbs. Be careful these lights get real HOT!
December 30, 2007 08:52PM
We have designed a lighting system for detail shops that is "second-to-none" and is very inexpensive to build.

You have the metal frames fabricated by a fab shop, or if you weld you can build them yourself and then you purchase 6'long hi-output florescent fixtures and mount to the frames and hang them from the ceiling or mount on the walls.

You will never find anything better.

The fabrication plans are a available for a small fee.

Regards
Bud Abraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS
buda@detailplus.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login