Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Dog hair

Posted by Roncol 
Dog hair
October 25, 2007 03:28AM
Just started mobile detailing in San Antonio Texas and a problem i have come across a few times is removeing dog hair from deep pile carpet, any tips?
Re: Dog hair
October 25, 2007 12:29PM
charge more
Re: Dog hair-Assembled Wisdom
October 25, 2007 05:35PM
Roncol-
Solution number one: Shoot the dog ( just kidding ).

First of all, you should use a really powerful vacuum cleaner for all your work. Use a rubber pet hair brush in conjunction with vacuuming. The rubber brushes are available from detail supply companies as well as Wal-mart and pet stores. Also try a 3M lint roller ( the pro model was once at Sam's Club in a three-pack for a lower price ). Consumer model sold at Wal-mart.

Here is a quote from Mark Waldron :
" Latex gloves and the pet hair removal system from Top Of The Line are the only things you will need to remove 99% of any hair you may encounter. I've done vehicles that you could make king size comforters out of all the hair that came out. Another trick I learned was using the Turbo Nozzle attachment from Hoover on my vacuum. "
editor's note : you can buy turbo brush attachments for Shop Vacs and other vacuum cleaners.
Quoting Dan Loves Tea:
"A rubber brush... that is, a brush made of rubber. Brush and vac at the same time. It's still pretty hard work but it gets the job done. "
Quoting Jason Arkenburg :
" A dual head polisher with the shampooer brushes makes light work of it ."
Quoting Anthony Orosco :
" Try some latex gloves. Put them on and rake your gloved hands over the hair. It comes up fairly easy and can then be vacuumed."
Quoting Frank Canna :
" The key is to brush and vacuum at the same time."
Quoting Pro Mobile Details :
" Dr smiths pet hair fantastic, simply the best vacuum brush i,ve ever used!
Removes pet hair,lint,dust, dirt and dander from carpets and upholstery, Dan is right ; go to a local horse supply shop and pick up a rubber brush. The next best thing lol,you,ll be amazed at what detailing things you can pick up there. " " ...Jetta carpet... The seats are easy-just latex gloves, but the carpet no way They are the worst for hair entrapment I have done but then I charge 150 for a nasty pet hair interior alone and I do plenty of them. It all depends on the type of vehicle and the carpet ,upholstery that is in it...Vacuum brush(www.pethair.com) ... I also use a steel crevice tool which I curved slightly and works great getting hairs that are not driven in to some fabrics between the seats and tight spots u can,t get with the brush."
Quoting Gus :
" One key to using the rubber brush (which we have) is to create static electricity. Using that theory in mind it works fairly well. I also caught a commercial on TV for some new product by Arm and Hammer for pet hair removal on household carpets; was gunna pick up some of that and check it out. Might be worth a few bucks... never know."
Quoting Bud Abraham :
" We offer a special sponge block that takes pet hair off of automobile upholstery. I personally have found it to be quite effective as with two large German shephards who shed profusely in the summer months."
Quoting Delon Solomon :
" You can get that sponge that bud is talking about at Bed Bath and Beyond it works okay a lint brush works great too you can get those at Wally World. "
Quoting Jim Hammill:
" Have used the Car Brite hair brush as well, and quite impressed with it. Someone else posted here about those gloves that GM put in with the spare tire , the ones with little plastic spots on ? Tried this and believe it or not it actually works as well as the brush. "
Quoting Ron Ketcham :
" Want a really easy way to get the hair to release and be sucked up in the vaccum? Most of the hair is held by a static charge generated by the types of artifical fabrics used in vehicles. Buy a can of the cheapest aerosol "anti-static" spray you can find and mist the fabric or carpet, give it about a minute, then vac the fabric/carpet. If some still remains, and doesn't it always, brush the area in "one way", aligning the fibers, remist and vac in the same direction. It's gone! Another way, but not quite as effective, is by a bottle of fabric softener that says "anti-static" on it, mix it about 20 to 1 and use it. Not as effective as the aerosol, but does help. "
Quoting Dan Loves Tea :
" At last! I tracked down the exact brush we use on the internet. It's at the bottom of this page:- [www.yellowtop.com]
It's great for hair, straw, christmas tree needles etc. its about 12" with a pointy end for hard to reach areas, It's bigger and stronger than ones designed for pets. Perfect. "
Quote of Phil Goode :
" My supplier (Car Brite) has a hair brush. The first time I used it, I almost fell over. It helps pull all of the hair into one pile which can then be vac'ed up in a serious flash. I only need once in a while but when I do, I am happy to have spent the few bucks it cost. "
Quoting Turbomangt :
" Duct tape also works well."
Quoting DMaciel :
" I have used my Shop Vac with a brush attachment its works the hair loose and sucks them up. "
Quoting Scottwax :
" A damp plastic bristly brush works for me. "
Quoting onthespot :
" To remove pet hair from carpets, I like to use a wire whitewall brush. Very effective. "
Quoting waxtothemax :
" I'd have to agree that latex gloves work best carpets and cloth seats.
But if it’s a short hair dog (Jack Russell Terrier) latex on the floor boards
And duck tape for the cloth seats. I like to wrap my hand with the tape's
Adhesive side out. It’s fast and effective. "
Quoting Bumpers Plus :
" I also use rubber gloves, but spray the hair with some anti-static spray first. It is made by bissell, and is .99 cent. "

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2007 05:30PM by Doug Delmont.
Re: Dog hair-Assembled Wisdom
October 25, 2007 05:41PM
deleted duplicate

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2007 05:08PM by Doug Delmont.
October 29, 2007 02:20AM
Hey Doug, thanks for all the tips.What a great web site, Ron.
October 31, 2007 04:22AM
Roncol

You can purchase a Pet Hair Removal Sponge for the price of $7.95. Go to www.detailplus.com where you will find it listed.

Bud ABraham
January 19, 2008 02:53AM
I use a pet hair remover brush purchased from M.S. Arnold Detailing Supplies out of St. Louis. Does a great job of removing pet hair.

Smokey
www.waterless-clean-n-shine.com
January 20, 2008 01:37AM
When you run into those really bad ones, and while the special brushes work quite well, go buy a can of the anti-static spray that women use to keep their hoses and skirts from "clinging'.

Mist the affected area, then use the brush and vac.

Reason it works, most of the attachment is due to the static properties of the fabric versus the hair.

Ketch
January 20, 2008 06:01PM
Most of the attachment is due TO BEING WOVEN IN.....Vacuum in one direction only, don't buy any special brushes or sprays from anyone, anywhere! You guys always suggest people to buy something from you...Again, vacuum in one direction to un-weave itself and SAVE your money....send it to ME instead. Don't forget the compressed air.

Take it as free knowledge from somebody that owns a Boxer and an Alaskan Malamute.

Live to ride, Ride to live
January 20, 2008 06:03PM
Opps!

Live to ride, Ride to live

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2008 06:42PM by hogwash.
May 02, 2008 03:50AM
Grumyp2 Ive never heard of using that anti-static spray. Might have to try that one.
Vacuuming in one direction does work, but using these pet-grooming brushes make it quicker work. Some detailer's don't have all day to vacuum up dog hair.
I've also used a lava stone, (grill brick) which work's good but smells like sulphur and if it happens to touch plastic it will scratch/damage it.

sorry for bumping an old post. I'm new to this site and reading all the posts.
May 04, 2008 02:22AM
hurt-
Welcome to the Phorum. Nothing wrong with revisiting old threads. As you read the archives, you may wish to highlight the "meat" of the posts and save that info to a disc. It can also be printed out and made into a shop manual. Keep in touch !
Doug
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login