Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

bumper marks

Posted by Traci Vactor 
bumper marks
November 27, 2003 01:49AM
<HTML>Someone hit my car on the side leaving rubber from their bumper. How can I remove it without harming the paint.</HTML>

Re: bumper marks
November 27, 2003 02:09AM
<HTML>First of all, are you sure that it's rubber left on your bumper and not the paint scraped off? If it's just rubber, you can do a couple of things.

Do you have a Cyclo polisher or a rotary buffer? If you have a Cyclo, use the yellow or green pads with a light rubbing compound and buff the stuff off. If you only have a rotary buffer, use a polishing pad and some light compound at 1,000-1,200 rpm & see if the stuff comes off.

If you don't have a buffer of any kind, take a more agressive compound and use a sponge applicator (like one you use for waxing) and try to rub the stuff out. Rub gently and let the compound do the cutting. Once the stuff is gone, clean up the area and finish with a wax or sealant.

If it still doesn't come off, you can take some lacquer thinner and put it on a rag and wipe the stuff off. If you're rag is turning black, it's coming off. If your rag is not changing colors or is only turning slightly grey and it doesn't appear that the rubber is starting to peel away with agressive rubbing, then you're most likely down to the bumper and it needs to be repainted.</HTML>
November 27, 2003 03:53AM
<HTML>Thanks Rod,

I also sent an email to your address. They hit the side of my, probably while they were parking and left residue from their bumpber on the side of my car.</HTML>
November 27, 2003 05:26AM
<HTML>I got hit a week or so back and got it off with 2000 grit wet sand. Then I learned that a prep solvent works too. G'luck.</HTML>
November 27, 2003 10:02AM
<HTML>What I suggest is a towel; with some tar & grease remover and alittle light compound and the end of your fingertip with a little pressure. Usually works everytime.

Even better if you use some Mottenbocker's Paint Remover - they offer one for both Latex and oil base paints. In fact, if anyone is interested I have a couple of gallons of both in excess inventory.

bud abraham</HTML>

buda
November 27, 2003 11:23AM
<HTML>Hello t1400, Rod's suggestion reference the lacquer thinner is the easiest and most simple by far. If it is just rubber or paint from the other vehicle it will come off amazingly easy. I usually use one of those scrubbers you can purchase at any supermarket or Wal-mart, etc.....they are simply a sponge covered with a nylon mesh used to gently clean teflon coated kitchen pots and pans. Soak the scrubber and clean away. No harm will be done to your paint or finish other than taking off any wax or sealant that is there. Once done just wax or seal and your done. I get calls from this type of damage on customers cars on a regular basis and they are always amazed that I made it all go away. good luck, Ron</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login