Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Interior Dressing

Posted by philipkade 
Interior Dressing
April 09, 2008 05:04PM
Guys,

Could you all tell me what interior dressing you use. I currently use Meguiars interior mist. I don't like silicone on the interior. However, if you are a fan of something with silicone please share.

Thanks,

Seabolt's Wash and Detail
Commerce GA
Re: Interior Dressing
April 10, 2008 02:49AM
ProMobile recommended AutoMagic Dress-it Right. I like Meguiar's #40 and Natural Shine, Zaino Leather In A bottle ( usable on both vinyl and leather ) or Zaino Z-16, Adams Polishes VTR and Griot's , which is non-silicone.
{ EDIT : I forgot to mention 303 Aerospace Protectant, also a top-notch product. }
The best I can tell, silicones do no harm to the surface. Griots claims they can adversely affect appearance, though.
I do not use solvent-based dressings because I assume the solvent is bad for the surfacesand could catch fire .
I was less happy with dressings from Turtle Wax, ArmorAll and Westley's.
Doug

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2008 11:13PM by Doug Delmont.
April 11, 2008 03:07AM
Perhaps it is time for all to understand the "difference" between a "dimethal silicone fluid" and a "poly dimethal siloxane" resin dressing.

The "latter" is commonly referred to as a "PDMS" dressing.

A dimethal silicone dressing is a resin that is migritory and quickly evaporates from a surface, and a hydrocarbon solvent is usually required as a "carrier", due to the molecular nature/etc of the silicone resin/fluid.

On the other hand a PDMS, IE, poly amino dimethal siloxane. will emulsify into water, no need for a "hydrocarbon solvent" as a "carrier" and emulsifier of the resin.

Most of, if not all, no matter the "brand on the lablel", or "marketing hype" which are what is marketed as "water based", etc, are of the PDMS family.

Be it Mequiar's, Automagic, ValuGard, and most "white in color" dressings marketed by many others, including the "boutique" products.

With the advances in modern chemistry, it is possible to produce a "dressing product" that is not "milky" in liquid color, but "clear".

All one has to do, if they wish to be aware of just what they are using or buying, is look at the "label", and the hazodus contents.

If the product carries a warning regarding "petroluem distillates", then it is most likely a "dimethal silicone", as the resin, which is what really ends up on the surface.

There of course, other things to consider, etc, however, what I have posted is some simple, easy to find, if you look, chemical information regarding "dressings".

The term "dressing" is so often mis-understood, as is the term "coating".

Another, unfortunatly, for the aveage consumer, is "undercoating", vs a "rust inhibiting cavatity wax (IE, rust preventative), however "sales" by people who just want to make a buck, don't address this difference, anymore than they understand what a "dressing" is, or what makes them be such.

Ketch
April 14, 2008 04:49PM
I've had great luck with Guardsman Leather Care Kit. It includes the Fenice Leather Protector from Italy that I read about on a Ferrari site.
[dinettemart.com]
April 19, 2008 04:57PM
Cobra :
I see that you have posted about this product line on more than one thread. Are you, by chance, in the business of selling it. If so, you should be forthright about it and say, " I sell XYZ Products and hope you will try them...".
If you have no financial interest in the company, feel free to say so too.
Your participation on the forum is welcome in any case, so feel free to contribute your ideas any time.
Doug
May 02, 2008 02:22AM
So, Doug, what do you think about your post to Cobra?

I could point out that you, normally, post about a particular brand of product.

Does that "make you one who has some "financial interest" in the brand?

It is an interesting question, based upon a study of your posts, regarding a brand.

Ketch
May 04, 2008 01:04AM
Ketch-
Apparently, you posted that to make others wonder if I'm a liar. It does no good for this forum to have me repeat over and over that I have no connection to Zaino or Drillbrush or Griot's or various dollar store products I've given favorable reviews . You seem intent on damaging this forum with your badgering and filibusters .
If you are not trying to harm this forum, then realize that people come here to get information and improve their skills. Some come here to interact with people who share their interests. They don't come here purely to follow my recommendations or to see me cross-examined about crimes I don't commit . And they don't get fooled by obviously-planted trolls...
By your logic, Lb Honda , Mr. Kim, MelissaG, 66GTO and Gina might all be getting money under the table from Zaino ! They all lauded it .
You sound like a man who has led an empty life--I base that on you never having experienced Zaino's wonderful products in action. ( LOL)

CONFIDENTIAL TO SAL : Send another suitcase full of money soon. Heaven knows I've earned it . ( LOL) ( kidding ! really Ketch-no suitcases of money for me-waaa ! )
Doug
May 05, 2008 03:08AM
Doug,
I am not saying you are "liar", I am attempting to get you to go to a deeper and more professional manner of learning, exploring, and sharing information than you are doing.

I am sure you have good intentions, all that I am asking is that if you wish to be taken serious, you take a more professional path and less of "ego driven/pay attention" to me manner.

Ketch
May 10, 2008 03:44AM
Ketch,
You sound like a mind reader or psychiatrist ... ( "ego-driven" )

Actually, you implied that I might have some connection to Zaino despite my past assurances to the contrary.

Doug
June 22, 2008 12:37AM
have you tried an aerosol baesd dressing it is all i use.silicone free get into those tight spots.you can get it from auto-magic,car-brite,s&s detail supply.try it out worth a shot
April 21, 2009 04:46PM
I use all industrial products so you may not be familiar with this product but it's called Island Shine and it's made by P & S. This stuff is unique because it contains NO silicone. It is a water based dressing that does a TREMENDOUS job on leather and can make the dash look stunning without leading to the drying and cracking that silicone will do over time. I also use this product on mud flaps and exterior trim because it is, like i said, water based and not a ridiculous dust attracter,
April 22, 2009 01:10AM
KustomKlean7 :
Welcome aboard !

Can you give us your source for the information that silicone will cause drying and cracking over time ?

I doubt this is correct. The makers of the dressings have strong product liability reasons not to sell something that would do damage. Even Griot's, a company that markets a non-silicone product doesn't say silicone is harmful, only that it can adversely affect appearance. ArmorAll gave a guarantee against dashboard cracking as long as you used their protectant regularly.

I suspect that some people have used a dressing and later observed deterioration of the vinyl, concluding incorrectly that the dressing caused the damage. It is based on the logical fallacy, " post hoc ergo propter hoc " ( After this, therefore because of this ).
Link To Article : [www.carwash.com]
Doug

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2009 04:32PM by Doug Delmont.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login