Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Egging - Detailing Vs. Painting

Posted by Bill E. Bob 
Egging - Detailing Vs. Painting
May 03, 2009 07:50PM
My car was egged at night (55*F) and the eggs were immediately washed off - in less than 15 minutes. The body shop says any damage cannot be eliminated except by painting the entire panel(s). That black is the worst because the damage shows up more. Can detailing remove the damage which is minute white scratches in a circle about two inches in diameter instead of having to take the car to the auto body shop?
Thanks....
BB
Re: Egging - Detailing Vs. Painting
May 03, 2009 08:04PM
Eggs have a great of acid in them and if left on the vehicle for a length of time will etch into the clear which may not be able to be corrected by detailing.

However, the situation you describe where the egg was washed off in 15 minutes and in reasonably cool weather I find it hard to believe that the egg could have caused any permanent damage to the paint.

But, not seeing the alledged damage I cannot be certain.

That said, I would find the most knowledgeable detailer in your area and have them work on the paint. That is the key, finding a knowledgeable detailer. Not all who say they are knowledgeable are, and not all who come highly recommended are particularly knowledgeable detailers. Many can wax a car but few can correct, swirl remove/polish and protect properly.

Where are you located and possibly we can recommend someone that is knowledgeable enough to handle the problem.
May 03, 2009 08:12PM
Thousand Oaks, CA 91301, Simi Valley, CA close to Van Nuys, Ca, etc.
There's no etching damage. But, upon very, very close inspection, one can see the egg impact area (circular) with 10 to 15 scratches 1/16 of an inch and smaller with a faint white tint to the edge of the scratch (most likely from the calcium in the egg shell). It's like looking at a galaxy with a black hole in the center.
BB
May 03, 2009 08:23PM
Again, either a good buffing with a moderate compound can get it out or at worst a little wetsanding and buffing should correct it.

There are a number of good detailers in SoCal, but the best one I know is in San Diego and he would probably drive up to help you. He is also skilled in paint repair:

Prentice St Clair
Detail in Progress

518 783 1281

Regards
Bud Abraham
May 03, 2009 08:23PM
Again, either a good buffing with a moderate compound can get it out or at worst a little wetsanding and buffing should correct it.

There are a number of good detailers in SoCal, but the best one I know is in San Diego and he would probably drive up to help you. He is also skilled in paint repair:

Prentice St Clair
Detail in Progress

518 783 1281

Regards
Bud Abraham
May 06, 2009 10:48PM
Bill-
Bud is right. Avoid repainting any time you can. The detailer should try a mild polish with an orbital buffer first and work up from there to compounding with a rotary buffer or wet sanding.

If you want to try to correct it yourself first, see if you can feel your finger nail sort of catch in the scratches. If you can, don't expect to remove the scratch completely. Wash the area first to remove any abrasive dust and use car wash soap to neutralize any remaining acid. Hand apply a polish such as Zaino Fusion or a product like Mothers Phase One Cleaner ( followed by a polish ) and rub it in well. If that doesn't do it, either see a detailer or study paint correction.

Here's a link about getting egg off of car paint : [www.thriftyfun.com]
Doug

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2009 05:46AM by Doug Delmont.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login