Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Dealer name decals

Posted by Rich Larcinese 
Dealer name decals
October 02, 2004 02:28AM
<HTML>What have you guys found is the best way to remove those pesky decals with dealer names on the rear bumpers or trunk lids? Thanks</HTML>
Re: Dealer name decals
October 02, 2004 11:17PM
<HTML>Heat gun, fishing line, new car prep for the residue.</HTML>
October 03, 2004 03:06PM
<HTML>If you do not have a heat gun available adhesive remover, plastic razor blade and a patient hand will work.</HTML>

Keith
Details on Demand Inc.
Mobile Auto and Boat Detailing
October 04, 2004 12:32AM
<HTML>Pinstripe eraser on the end of a drill may also do the trick. But the best way is probably a heat gun. Get a cheap one at Home Depot for about $20. No need to get fancy. Just one with low & high setting is fine.</HTML>

Shine On!

Rod Wesley
Touch Up 'N' Go!
Auto &amp; Marine Appearance Center
We take your car from Rough to Buff!
Visit our website at: www.touchupngo.com
October 04, 2004 09:38PM
<HTML>4th vote for a heat gun and adhesive remover. And yes, a very patient hand and non-bitten fingernails to get the lettering started.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
October 05, 2004 01:40AM
<HTML>I just take them off with the buffer and some wax. Watch that you dont burn the paint.</HTML>

Jeff King
October 05, 2004 01:54AM
<HTML>Rich,

Assuming you are dealing with the metal kind applied with sticky tape, fishing line is perfect. Do not buff.

If the decal is the smooth sticker type, then the plastic razor blade/heat gun/adhesive remover/non-bitten fingernail (Joe LOL!) would be my route as well. Again, no need for buffing.</HTML>

-Get that great new car feeling!-
October 05, 2004 02:40AM
<HTML>I think the buffer trick, is for stickers only. Still run a chance of degrading the clear too far. Pretty quick though. What I love is after getting a metal/aluminum type dealer decal, and under it is a chip, dent, rust,etc. and you screwed the decal up too much to put it back!!!</HTML>
May 29, 2009 02:52AM
Update :

I've managed to pull a plastic dealer emblem off with very little heat, just very slow peeling by fingers.
I did the same to a foil logo stuck on a brushed aluminum tailgate applique on a Ford pickup. No heat, just a slow pull after I got a fingernail under it.

Doug

P.S. Something tells me that Marnie's solution will be to join the International Detailing Association and plaster their emblem on my car ( LOL).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2009 02:54AM by Doug Delmont.
May 29, 2009 11:37PM
The most professional and safest way to remove decals is either with a heat gun and adhesive remover or the pinstripe eraser that was mention and cleanup with adhesive remover.

Using a razor blade is "an accident looking for a place to happen."

Just a few well intentioned thoughts on the matter.

Regards
May 30, 2009 08:06AM
Bud :
You are correct that if you use a razor blade, you will inevitably scrape the paint but...

note that what was mentioned earlier was a PLASTIC razor blade. I think you might have misread that as a real metal razor blade.

In any case, good you warned everyone ( There is a book on detailing for amateurs that actually endorses using a razor blade on paint !!!!! Ouch. ).
Doug
May 30, 2009 02:22PM
Doug, thank you for pointing out my oversight. You are correct, a plastic razor blade will not cause the damage that a metal blade most surely would cause.

We also sell a 2" wide by 3.5" long plastic scraper (Paint & Tar Scraper) that has an edge on all four sides that makes it much easier to use than a smaller plastic blade. If you send me your address, Doug I will be happy to send you a sample to test for us.

And, I think you are correct, if Rich and the others who posted here would consider joining the INTERNATIONAL DETAILING ASSOCIATION they would have a sure source for excellent information on detailing from some of the top detailers in the world as well as suppliers in the world who are members and most willing to share their knowledge with existing and just starting, detail business owners.

They can join by going to www.the-ida.com and join on line, the dues are only $50 per year for operators members.

Thanks Doug, for mentioning the IDA on this post.

Regards
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login