Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Hot Brake Rotors

Posted by Doug Delmont 
Hot Brake Rotors
June 05, 2009 03:41AM
Everyone-
I've read that you should let the brake rotors cool for perhaps a half-hour before exposing them to wash water. The rotors get hot and the cool water can warp or crack them.

I've found that rotors do take a long time to cool, even after a short drive. What are everyone's thoughts on this problem ? Should we wait 30 minutes to hose down a car ?

Doug
Re: Hot Brake Rotors
July 03, 2009 11:25PM
Bud and Marnie :
I am surprised that you two, or the other knowledgeable members of the IDA have not been able to answer this one. C'mon . Let's have some helpful participation...
Doug
July 04, 2009 01:28PM
Mr Delmonte:

What you might want to consider is what happens when you are driving your vehicle in the rain and putting your brakes on down a hill and getting the roters hot and their getting water on them?

Regards
July 09, 2009 09:36PM
Marnie-
If you are implying that water splashing up from the road is comparable to water sprayed on from a pressure wand, I disagree. I already considered that, and I think the splash shields and wheels probably prevent the kind of sudden cooling I'm worried about.

I once had a rotor flunk inspection because of a spot of cracks but I don't know if washing caused the cracks.

Doug
November 09, 2009 11:22PM
I've never experienced warped rotors after washing.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login