Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

seat odor

Posted by wpsrea 
seat odor
January 23, 2010 01:45PM
I have a problem getting rid of an odor from the front passenger seat in 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/leather interior. While transporting an ederly person in that seat, they had an "accident". There are no stains but the smell remains in the center stiching of the seat. What can I do to get rid of the odor? I have reduced the odor with baking soda(dry), "purple" cleaner applied with a Q-tip, and some leather cleaner. I want to get rid of it completely, any ideas?
Re: seat odor
January 23, 2010 03:16PM
If you are not a professional detailer with odor removal experience, would suggest you either take the vehicle to one or recommend the clients to one.

Urine odor is very difficult to remove from many seats and especially leather, as the urine has penetrated through the stitching and has absorbed into the sponge backing of the seat cover and sponge seat. When urine is first excreted, it is on the acid side of the pH scale and very easily removed. Within hours of being exposed to oxygen it turns to a alkaline pH. When this happens it will increase in alkalinity to the point of becoming almost ammonia. Once it is dried urine contains salts that act as a desiccant. That is to say, it can attract and hold moisture better than most materials. If you pass a moisture meter over a urine infected area, even if it has been left to dry for months, you will find that the area where there is urine will have a much higher moisture content in relationship to the surrounding unaffected area.

This is the reason urine odor is stronger when the humidity in the air is elevated (rain outside/damp day) This ability to attract and retain high moisture in fabric creates ideal conditions for bacterial, viral and mold growths. Removing urine salts from contaminated affected area will eliminate the problem and restore the indoor air quality of the vehicle.

Since you cannot saturate the leather seat with products without damaging the leather or creating more of a problem.. You are going to have to remove the seat cover from the seat and treat the contaminated sponge lining of the seat cover (reverse-side) and the sponge for any odors..dry out and smell. Once you have solved the problem you can then re-install the covers. You also need to check the rear section of the seat cover and sponges and flooring as urine can leak back down into the back of seating and flooring/carpeting. Before you re-install the seat cover and once you have determined the odor has been removed ..you will need to steam the leather seat cover to open up the pores of the leather and apply an excellent deep penetrating conditioner to re-hydrate the area damaged by the urine or any harsh products you might have been using. In addition once you have taken the seat out of the car you also get to smell the interior away from the seat and this should tell you if the problem is only isolated to the seat.

Many will suggest the use of an ozone machine... I am afraid this is futile.. because you need to get to the source of the urine and REMOVE IT
January 23, 2010 03:45PM
Thanks for the quick response to my question. However, the accident was not urine. Enough said. Looks like I will be taking the seat out the cover off.
January 23, 2010 04:28PM
I should say any type of body fluid urine or fecal matter is considered bio-hazard cleaning and NOT DETAILING OR UPHOLSTERY CLEANING and in addition to removing the seat cover should be assessed at a significantly higher rate. Your charges should include knowledge (specialized services) cost of time to remove seating, covers and re-installation, chemicals to do the work and clean up fee of our equipment if you are using carpet shampoo extractor as your machine has to be sanitized to prevent cross contamination of other vehicles, disposables, gloves, rags etc.
May 14, 2010 02:55AM
spray some diodrant weekly, should work

Car Detailing Charlotte
704-464-0163
[www.cardetailingcharlotte.com]
Charlotte, NC 28246

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2010 03:47AM by Charlotte.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login