Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Is car wax obsolete?

Posted by billd55 
Is car wax obsolete?
March 20, 2010 07:10PM
In my other post,I mentioned that I felt wax was not the best product for clearcoat protection.Other people feel the same way. [www.thriftyfun.com]
Re: Is car wax obsolete?
March 21, 2010 07:38PM
Bill

You posed a very good question that hits at the heart of controversies with regard to detailing chemicals.

Paint sealants are really an evolution of wax or protection technology.

For years all there was available to detailers were waxes, either made from natural carnuaba or synthetic waxes (micro-crystilline).

Then came the paint sealant this "wonder" product that chemical company marketing people got carried away with and made claims of the product lasting for years, or at least one year.

Chemically speaking paint sealants are better than waxes in terms of durability and probably protection against the elements, especially acid rain.

The type of silicone used in sealants, while not particularly revolutionary is better than the standard silicone fluids used in waxes and will therefore last longer on the finish of a vehicle.

Years back we eliminated carnuaba or any type of wax from our line simply because we discovered that a paint sealant was a better product.

It went on easier, came off easier and was more durable.

The key, of course, is price. If you have to pay $45 a quart or more for a paint sealant it is hard to justify it's use on all cars, unless you charge customers accordingly. But if you can purchase a gallon of sealant for $20 to $25 then you have a winner.

Waxes because they are more oily than sealants (some sealants do contain a measure of wax as our DIAMOND Shine PLUS does) you could justify their use on a dark colored car to give more depth of shine.

If you do put a wax over a paint sealant you need to allow the paint sealant to cure, according the the manufacturer's instructions for curing.

Bottomline, I say yes, paint sealants are a better product and from my perspective they have made waxes obselete.

Regards
Bud Abraham
April 14, 2010 07:09PM
I agree that paint sealants may last longer, but I have noticed you don't get the depth or shine out of sealants that you do waxes.I've been using collinite products for the last 10 years and there waxes are far superior than anything I have used. my truck sit out in the south Florida sun and One is bright red I started using Marque Del Egante on it about a year ago it it out shines anything I have ever used and it holds up longer than anything I have used, it also gives that wet look that everyone want's I've been detailing for over 20 years and most of my customer never ask how long it will last they want the wet look and reflection but this is just my opinion of being in the field not behind a desk

Phredro

[deliveringthedetails.blogspot.com]
April 15, 2010 02:30AM
oop's
Well Bud you won't be able to hide behind the joewax alias 1 post and you screwed it up
LOL

I beleive a group of the pro's called you on this crap at MTE one year
April 27, 2010 12:44AM
I think the sealer/finisher verses the paste wax is a time thing. The paste wax takes a lot more time to complete. I like Final-Z by Zotwave.com that you can apply with a towel, work in small areas, and rub off and be done. I have used this and it leaves a great shine and seems very durable in the hot weather of the midwest summers.
April 27, 2010 12:59AM
Have no idea who Joe Wax is. I am still buda, and as you can see I posted and signed Bud Abraham.

Maybe the webmaster can shed some light on this???

Regards
April 27, 2010 02:55AM
As I said I am not joewax, but buda.

Regards
Bud Abraham
April 27, 2010 06:32AM
Phredro:

Thank you for your post and your opinion on Collinite Wax.

The reality is that no wax is as durable as a paint sealant no matter what a person may think. Chemically speaking they are not as durable.

Further, how do you know that your wax holds up? You have no way of knowing this unless you conduct a scientific test even then you would not know unless you put the product on a metal plate with no paint and see how long it takes for rust to appear.

If you say beading water is the determiner, that is incorrect because water beading is not an indication of durability. The elements in a wax/sealant that make water bead are not protection ingredients. Oil makes water bead but you cannot consider that a protectant.

Conversely the ingredients that enhance shine do not offer protection. So a product that leaves a "wet-shine" look on the car is most likely not very durable.

There is only so much technology that you can put into a can of wax, so if you are paying more than $15 to $20 for a can of wax it is far too much.

Just some well intentioned thoughts on the subject.

Regards
Bud Abraham
April 27, 2010 02:46PM
Bud

I have been banned from several car forums for making that very point.
You want to see what happens when speak evil of the holy wax?

[truthindetailing.com]
May 14, 2010 02:55AM
nope, i dont think its the best too

Car Detailing Charlotte
704-464-0163
[www.cardetailingcharlotte.com]
Charlotte, NC 28246

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2010 03:47AM by Charlotte.
June 06, 2010 02:27AM
Bud-
Collinite is known to be a long-lasting product.

Phedro-
I think Zaino can match the best waxes for shine and maybe depth. Have you tried it ?
Doug
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login