Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Check out this video

Posted by billd55 
Check out this video
March 28, 2010 12:21PM
I thought I would put up a video that shows what an acrylic paint sealant can actually do.I filmed this on 3/27/2010 with a friend and customer.

[www.youtube.com]
Re: Check out this video
March 28, 2010 03:40PM
Nice video. Klasse is a acrylic, will it do the same thing?
March 28, 2010 04:24PM
Larry A

I have not used it, so I am not sure.
March 30, 2010 01:21AM
As I asked you before what is the difference between an acrylic sealant and a polymer sealant.

Both sealants contain amino-functional silicones which by nature when they cure "bond" to the finish.

Regards
Bud Abraham

PS: Do you sell this particular product or is your interest strictly to provide other detailers information on good products?
March 30, 2010 12:36PM
Bud

I am not here to sell this product,but just to make people aware that a product like this does exist.I cannot tell you chemically why this product is better than a regular polymer sealant. The company is not going to tell me or anyone else what is in their unique formulation. What really makes me want to speak up for this product is that the major companies
continue to pump out new products all the time.You keep saying that it is just basic chemistry, and all sealants are the same using certain chemicals.

What makes me shake my head is that this product has been around since the late 80's and very few people even know about it.Why have the big companies not seen
this technology and informed the public on the benefits over wax? Instead,they continue to push claims that a new wax is better because it has a fancy name,and packaging, but in reality it is no diferent.The article on waxes I posted showed that the cheapest waxes were better than more expensive ones.
I have an idea why. I recently read an article on how to wash a car that was waxed on a blog. The person who writes the blog, says that if you use dish soap your paint will dry out, and it will flake off.Not one person left a message saying where did you get that info.He goes on and says to wash your car with a ph neutral soap so you do not strip the wax.He shows a picture of a hood where fine scratches and swirls are present from not washing correctly. On other forums, I see other detailers showing their pictures on a normally black cars using correction to remove this same type problem.Everyone praises the guy for removing them, but no one ever asks what caused them and is there away to prevent them. Am I the only one to see that using wax may be the problem?
They push wax because it creates problems that requires other products to fix the problem.You have to buy a special special shampoo to wash your car, and then you need polishes to remove the scratches and swirl marks.Also, you need buffing pads and a polisher, and more wax to complete the cycle.

Look guys,you can say what you want about me,but I have not asked you to buy one thing from me.Although,what really makes me confused is the reaction from people on what I am trying to say.My God, I am not asking people to change their religious faith here.I am here to share my experience on sealants,I am not a chemist,but I have many years of first hand experience using them.

The link to the blog I mentioned is below. Look at the picture and ask yourself
if this is caused from the soap smearing the wax, and if correction is really needed.

[howtodetailcars.blogspot.com]
March 30, 2010 07:20PM
Bill

Certainly respect your right to have an opinion, but you must be certain that what you are saying is correct.

Here is what a chemist with over 30 years in the automotive chemical products industry had to say about the link you asked everyone to read:

"A very impressive list of testing.

The report does into great detail explaining all of the test methods, but no where does it show the direct results of the individual tests.

The end of the report shows some gloss, corrosion and other results, but not connect them with any of the detailed discussion of methods.

There is also no comparative data with any other products, unless I missed something???

This presentation is a very nice discussion with some demanding test methods but they do not really relate to anything specific.

For example, the 2000 hour testing for corrosion is a test used to qualify Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) paints.

It is difficult for paints to pass this testing procedure. So I can say with certainty that PAINT SEALANT on bare steel would/could ever pass it. And I have formulated a great many high quality paint sealants in my career for a number of companies.

If this testing were actually done, the sealant would be applied to a paint that had already passed the 2000 hour test.

So the sealant would essentially add nothing to the outcome of the test. But, because the coating is applied, a report such as this could be made to appear that the sealant protected the paint.

This is so typical of the marketing and sales people in the chemical business, to distort facts.

In conclusion I would say that this is a well thought out presentation that goes into great detail to lure one into thinking all of these stringent tests were actually completed, and that the product (the sealant in this case) passed.

However, nowhere does it give direct results of any kind showing the sealant passed these tests. At least I did not see them."

Would be interested to know what your supplier's response to these comments would be?

Regards
Bud Abraham
Re: ACRYLIC SEALANTS
March 30, 2010 08:15PM
Bill:

By the way, ACRYLIC RESINS are POLYMERS.

So to say that your sealant is an acrylic sealant and not a polymer sealant is incorrect, chemically-speaking.

REgards
ACRYLIC SEALANTS
March 30, 2010 09:20PM
Bill

To clarify the last post:

To say an acrylic is better than a polymer is a misstatement.

An acrylic IS a polymer.

The real question then is: "which polymers are better suited to use in a sealant?"

No one can answer that states the chemists I talk to about this matter.

The best sealant would be a combination of the polymers and other ingredients that are in the forumulation.

Just because it might be an acrylic polyer, as you state, chemically-speaking, does not make it a better sealant. There are many other ingredients that go into a sealant that create it's physical properties.

When a sealant is formulated chemists must do so based on what the marketing and sales department say they want from the product:

Easy of application & removal
Depth of shine
Gloss
Resistence to Soaps
Durability

No one sealant can be 100% in all catagories. Enhance one and you take away from another. If the sales department wants a sealant that gives that "high-shine, wet-look" it probably will not be very durable, for example.

Bottomline Bill, an Acrylic Sealant is a Polymer Sealant.

But, a Polymer Sealant does not have to be an Acrylic Sealant.

Hope this helps you understand the product better.

Regards
Bud ABraham
March 30, 2010 10:00PM
Bud
I said in the video that the acrylic sealant I use is a polymer.You are right when you say that an Acrylic Sealant is a polymer,but a polymer sealant does not have to be an Acrylic Sealant.Although,all the things you mentioned above are exactly what an Acrylic Sealant does best in my opinion.
March 30, 2010 11:06PM
Bill

Have you forwarded the chemist's comments to the manufacturer's for their response?

Regards
March 31, 2010 12:11AM
Bud

What ever I say or show you, you have made up your mind.Did you read that the airline stated a one percent decrease in fuel costs for one year? Did you look at the pictures of the alum. on the aircraft after five months? Did you read what the trucking company stated about what it did on it's trucks? Are these not direct results or am I not understanding your question? <br>

You are part of the problem.You just said that you formulate the products for the companies that I have been talking about. You create products for consumption not for protection,so it makes perfect sense why you come to these conclusions.Why do you keep formulating new sealants for different companies if they are all the same? "It's just basic chemistry".How do I know you are not distorting the facts,so you can sell more of your products on this site?You say marketing people do it all the time in the business.<br>

The difference between you and me is that I am a detailer ,and you formulate products.You talk about tests, and I state actual experience.You make many products,but I talk about a product I have used since 1993.I am not here to get your seal of approval,but to inform people who want to get info other than the party line from the established companies.
March 31, 2010 12:59AM
Bill

First of all, you are making unfounded claims. I have allowed chemists to read the materials and make their judgements on what has been said. You have not answered their claims.

None of what your customer's say has anything to do with the claims that are made about the product. If they are happy that is fine, but they are not the ones making the claims you are making about the product. I am not challenging the customer's satisfaction with the product I am challenging the claims that you and the company are making, because for the most part their are erroneous and unsubstantiated, like so many companies selling paint sealants.

As a matter of fact our paint sealant is one of the finest on the market for protection. Out of 25 products tested by an independent laboratory ours was one of two that were tops in resistence to salt water corrosion.

Secondly you are wrong about me not being a detailer. I operated two detailing centres in my city for more than 10 years and I train people in detailing centers several times a year. Finally next month I will be opening and working in a detail center in Vancouver, Washington.

Actual experience is fine, but the claims you are making are about the intrinsic nature of the product which are unfounded and erroneous chemically-speaking.

If you were saying you think that this is the shiniest product you have ever used; or a product that lasts longer than any you have ever used, that is fine, those are opionions that no one can challege. But you are making statements about the nature of the product that are simply not true.

Unless you are privy to a test where you can definitively measure the corrosion resistence you do not know how long a product lasts on the finish of a car. How do you tell if the car has protection? Water beading? False, water will bead on a car if it has oil on it which certainly offers no protection.

Shine is relative unless you use a Glossometer which measures the reflective shine off a finish. That is probably the most objective measurement you can do to determine how shiny a product leaves.

Enjoy this dialogue with you because it gives me a chance to inform the detail industry what they need to know about chemicals and what to watch out for when they are judging a chemical.

My purpose is not to prove you wrong or to demean anything you are saying but only challenging your statements when they appear to be unfounded. If they are not unfounded then simply answer my challenges to what you and/or the company that makes the product, states.

Thanks for the discussion.

Bud Abraham
March 31, 2010 04:21AM
Bud

You should get your facts right.Now who is making the unfounded claims here.
This is your statement:"In our tests the two products were #1 and #2 in percentage of reflective shine were #18 and #19 in the salt water durability".
Now you state above:"Out of 25 products tested by an independent lab ours was one of two that were tops in resistance to salt water corrosion".Then you say:"As a matter of fact our paint sealant is one of the finest on the market for protection". <br>

Please explain to me like a third grader how something ranked #18 and #19 out of 25 products tested can be considered tops in salt water corrosion,or be the finest on the market for protection?I would like to see your test results posted, so we can establish what you are saying is true,so far, it is all talk on your part.Also, why is there a charge to get your test results? If your product is so great why do'nt you post it on line?
March 31, 2010 06:06AM
Bill

My product was not rated #1 nor #2 in reflective shine improvement before and after. It was about 4th in reflective shine increase.

The two that were tops in reflective shine were 18th & 19th in corrosion resistence.

If you would like a copy of the Comparative Study of Automotive Paint Sealants and Waxes send me your email address to buda@detailplus.com and you will get a copy of the study and see the protocols that were used to test all 25 products.

Bill let us not resort to personal attacks on each other. We are talking about chemical products and presentation of information. This has nothing to do with you or me personally.

I am sure you are a very nice person, sincere in your beliefs and very passionate about your chosen product.

Let me know if you want the test results and they are yours, FREE of CHARGE.

Bud Abraham
March 31, 2010 01:58PM
Bud

That is not what you said,please,and I am not using any personal attacks. Now,
you are saying that your products were not #1 nor #2 in reflective shine, but was about 4th.Although,how can you say that one of them,"as a matter of fact","is one of the finest on the market for protection" when it placed #18 and #19 in corrosion resistence.I am sorry, but that statement just is playing very loose with the test results.<br>

I ask you to look at my post (My thoughts on protecting your clearcoat paint job), and go down to the 15th reply which is yours and read it closely. You state:
"In our tests the two products were #1 and #2 in percentage of reflective shine".
You made this statement, and now you say it was about #4.<br>

If we are talking about presentation of information, and you keep making these statements which you keep changing, then I feel it is all about you.You are the one coming across as an expert.You are the one making these statements about your so called test results which no one has seen,but you ask me to answer your challenges about test results that are clearly posted on the internet.<br>

All I have said here is that I feel a sealant is better to use than a wax. Also,
I feel that an acrylic sealant is the best for shine and protection. Lastly,I feel
that using wax causes problems that washing with strong soap leads to smearing, and then correction is needed to remove scratches and swirls.

You are the one name dropping your product (Diamond Plus),and making statements that your chemist said this,and your knowledge of chemistry and formulating products.I am only bringing up here comments you have made that make me wonder
why I should believe what you say.
May 14, 2010 03:05AM
very nice video!

Car Detailing Charlotte
704-464-0163
[www.cardetailingcharlotte.com]
Charlotte, NC 28246

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2010 03:50AM by Charlotte.
June 06, 2010 02:10AM
While washing with harsh soap can smear or remove wax, it does not produce scratches and swirls ; hence no paint correction would be needed.

Scratches are caused by abrasion.

The best sealant ( for my purposes ) I've found is Zaino.
Doug
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login