Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

THE FUTURE

Posted by svr73 
THE FUTURE
October 15, 2010 07:52AM
It is my belief and Gtechniq agree with me, that from now until 2020, there will be a big shift in the product field

Scratch resistance and scratch proof will be a necessity if you want to successfully sell paint sealants and coatings

Gtechniq C1 adds 50% more scratch resistance to paint its applied too
Aquartz claimed more - something like 9H hardness. though I have doubts about its durability as a sealant

And now the new nano structured coating from a small/medium american company has released a virtually scratch proof coating, much more resilient than PPG ceramiclear and other paints. though it must be sprayed on like paint
Re: THE FUTURE
October 15, 2010 01:23PM
I tested Aquartz across an old panel. There was definitely good resistance to hazing, scratching, keying and gouging paint. Although they have changed the sealant composition.

I haven't used C1 but I have tried out Nanolex.

What is the new product? Is it on the market yet? PM me if you prefer to keep it off the forum. I just like to check out the new technologies.

I would be surprised if a scratch-proof coating existed already, but when you said that it is sprayed on, it got my attention. I tried spraying Aquartz, but found it disastrous. Too much overspray that hardens almost instantly.

I don't know if it THE future, but hardened coatings will certainly be a part of it. The average car owner doesn't know as much about paint protection as we would, and they probably don't care that much. But car-enthusiasts and prestige-owners will certainly benefit from the technology.
October 15, 2010 05:15PM
It never ceases to amaze me after more than 40 years in this business that chemical companies can come up with new and innovative gimmicks to sell products. And it is more amazing that " professional DETAILERS" believe their marketing hype. Why is that?

Discussing this newest gimmick, "scratch-resistant" coating with my chemist who has 30+ years producing auto car products and most recently in auto paints his first comment was that is what clear-coats are suppose to provide. Second, there is nothing in a paint sealant type coating that would be/ could be scratch- resistant. Further, even the paint companises/auto manufacturers have yet to develop a scratch-resistant paint.

Finally if such a product like this were real it would certainly void the paint warranty from the factory.

Just some well intentioned thoughts and information to consider
October 15, 2010 08:10PM
Well, clear-coats are both functional and aesthetic. However a car does look like cr@p when the clear has been scratched and swirled by car-washing, etc. You have to agree with that.

They are only sealants, so I don't see how they could void the paint warranty. I don't know about the new spray-on one though.

As professional detailers, we have a duty to investigate new advances in technology, Bud. Its not very fair to patronize us like that. I tested Aquartz for scratch and chemical resistance, and it is effective. Its not a gimmick. It was developed by Chemists like your own, more than likely with the same intentions as yourselves.

But I see where you are coming from. There are some really bad gimmicks out there like the Simoniz Fix-It pen! Thanks for the input, Bud.
October 16, 2010 02:19AM
The Technological University of Munich did a test for Mercedes Benz to see what method of washing was more harmful to the finish of a car, Hand Washing or Machine Washing.

After 26 washes on the test cars they took microscopic photos of the paint and it revealed that the hand washed cars were more severely damaged than the machine washed cars. That, in fact, the hand washed cars had to be buffed out to retore the shine.

The reason, simple once you put the wash mitt; sponge or towel on the car to wash away the dirt you get sand and grit in the mitt which makes it like a piece of fine sandpaper rubbing on the car.

The reason this did not happen in the automatic car wash was because the car is bombarded with water and shampoo during the wash process forming a barrier between the wash material and the paint.

To make handwashing safe they concluded you needed to run the hose in one hand and the mitt/sponge in the other at all times when you are washing.

As for the product, all of us in the business of making chemicals know what it takes to make a product. The largest companies in the world,3M or DuPont, for example have the resources, the research and development to make anything like these products are claiming, but they do not. Why is that?

Because it is all BS, excuse the patronizing. If you as a professional want to believe this BS that is your choice.

What we are trying to do is educate you so that you can educate your customers. But those who buy into these products are no better than the consumer who gets sucked into paying hundreds of dollars for a treatment.

If these companies are so great why are they not known in all the detail circles; why do they not market directly to detailers using the wagon jobber distributor system that all legitimate detail chemical companies use.

No, they market on line at very high prices to the CONSUMER, and at the same time they suck unsuspecting detailers into their BS too.

MORE INFORMATION ON CLAIMS

If you put an aminofunctional silicone in a product, which most sealants of any manufacturer contain, you add "slip" so you can make the claim that the product "helps" to prevent scratching.

Here is a good one for you. When my chemist was formulating laundry detergents they added a small amount of silicone to the formula which allowed them to make the claim that, "your clothes will snag less when washed with brand X laundry detergent." Because it contains a "secret ingredient."

You detailers need to wake up and realize that there are no magic products out there, it is all about basic chemistry and no company has anything that another cannot copy.

What you are fallling prey to is the creative marketing hype that certain companies come up with to make it sound like their products is superior to and different from another.

I am telling you this, not to buy my products or any companies products but to educate you to make proper decisions.

If you detailers in business focused more on the business of detailing rather than detailing you will make a lot more money.

Just some well intentioned thoughts.

Buda
October 16, 2010 09:15PM
Bud

When I listen to your logic I get a headache.It is the same thing over and over.
You are right and anyone who does not agree with you is wrong and is full of BS.<br>

Please get off your soap box for a minute, and realize that there may people out
there who may have more experience then you do.<br>

One reason these big companies do not make products like these is profit. NOW
PLEASE USE YOUR BRAIN HERE: if they developed a product that actually protected
your paint for a year. Would correction be needed? No.That means lost sales for
buffers, pads, polishes, waxes, compounds. Unfortunately, you buy into the hype
these big companies feed you.<br>

What you are falling prey to is the creative marketing hype that certain companies come up with to make it sound like their products is superior to and different from another. (Quote from Bud)<br>

Gee Bud, How many detailers are paying $33 an oz for the World's Best Wax. No
marketing hype here I'm sure. <br>

If you detailers in business focused more on the business of detailing rather than detailing you will make a lot more money.(Quote from Bud)<br>

This makes about as much sense as putting a screen door on a submarine. The problem is the business. The big companies flood the market with new products
that are just renamed and recycled. Everything is about shine , beading, and
correction.<br>

Detailers go from one product to another searching for the magic detailing
product, but there is really no difference. Wax is Wax, and who knows what is in
paint sealants either. It is just a term with no meaning.<br>

Why I do not listen to you is because you have no vision. You sell a customer a
visual service. It looks good but that is it. When swirls and fine scratches
appear you are there to remove them. It is all about shine and the bottom
line.<br>

Some of us see a better way. Protection of the clear coat to avoid correction.
I will mention this one more time. You have no experience with AT-5 or svr's
products, so why should we listen to your advice about them? He has experience
with them, so I think his advice would mean more than what you say.<br>

Just some well intentioned thoughts

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2010 09:19PM by billd55.
October 17, 2010 09:12PM
I read the paper released on that test. It is interesting, but I feel biased towards the car-wash manufacturers.

The methods used to wash the cars were "old-school" versus modern car washes. As a detailer, I endeavour to educate people about the proper way to wash their cars, using at least two buckets and soft lambswool or similar wash-mitts. Kid-gloves is the approach to have.

Hand-washing a car properly versus the automatic car-wash has a much less detrimental effect on paint finish.

I do agree with the level of scratching that incorrect hand-washing inflicts on the paint. I machine-polish paint like this all the time. But I also encounter auto-wash damage. That's not pretty either. And auto-washes have been known to inflict deep scratches as well. Personally, I wouldn't take the test as a definitive source for hand-washing V auto-washing.

How much do you think they would pay for a new test?
October 18, 2010 08:11AM
Bud I did not refer to these scratch resistant coatings as paint sealants. they are not sealants

And since I make my own products and know whats in them, I can tell you that my sealants are not amino functional silicone in them, teflon, wax, polymer or acrylic polymer

It is a synthetic form of clear coat that thickens the paint and seals from the elements.

Secondly please do not refer to the really great pro's in this industry as detailers,
there are car cleaners, then detailers are the next best and then there are a select few who are what I call - re-finishers

You are very smart in alot of areas but you give me the impression that you are closed minded and lack vision
Reminds me of that guy who said in the very early 1900's that there was no need for a patent office because everything that could possibly be invented already was

The new company who makes this very high scratch resistance paint is not marketing to our industry. they are going after painters, marine and aerospace industries. I talked with the CEO when I was in america and the proof is right in front of our eyes

Do a test with regular items that scratch car paint. Brushes, keys and other blunt/sharp objects. these items can not do anything to mark the finish. only the key used with heavy pressure can mark it at all.

Gtechniq has proved that their system reduces the risk of scratching by 50%. their system is not a paint sealant. it is a lacquer coating, almost like paint

Who knows what the next five to twenty years are going to bring in terms of refinishing technology. Just look at Electronics since the 1970's. What we have now is light years ahead of what there was in the 60's and 70's.

nothing is impossible.
I like Bill's anti paint correction ideals. Its fun to do but it shouldnt be performed so often on the same car and yes paint sealants can last for one year and even longer. especially mine which adds up to 100 microns of synthetic clear to the paint itself.

Open your mind. Yes there are alot of scams out there in our industry product wise and most are basic chemistry but it may not stay that way forever

A company in Europe tried to copy one companies unique paint protection products but failed to do so. the chemist at the american company is the only one who knows the ingredients, has access to them and knows how to make the products
October 18, 2010 08:21AM
buda
It never ceases to amaze me after more than 40 years in this business that chemical companies can come up with new and innovative gimmicks to sell products. And it is more amazing that " professional DETAILERS" believe their marketing hype. Why is that?

Discussing this newest gimmick, "scratch-resistant" coating with my chemist who has 30+ years producing auto car products and most recently in auto paints his first comment was that is what clear-coats are suppose to provide. Second, there is nothing in a paint sealant type coating that would be/ could be scratch- resistant. Further, even the paint companises/auto manufacturers have yet to develop a scratch-resistant paint.

Finally if such a product like this were real it would certainly void the paint warranty from the factory.

Just some well intentioned thoughts and information to consider

scratch resistant is not a gimmick. it exists today. not in paint sealants but paints and silane lacquers (Gtechniq C1)
And just because something doesnt exist today doesnt mean that it never will in the future.

My business partner and myself have already produced a 50 - 200 micron pour on glass technology which also protects (no scratch resistance though)
this stuff is what we personally made and we also have a unique paint correction fluid called Shock Wave anti particle polish which can fuse the hills and valleys of car paint together to seriously reduce orange peel
You wont see any videos of us doing it because this is a secret we will not share

There is nothing that cant be designed and made. Look at how far paint has come. Especially aerospace, marine and heavy industry paints like that our friend in america applies to trains. if paints can change that much and continue to do so, why cant detail/refinishing products

I agree that many online shops sell alot of crap that works well but is nowhere near as technologically advanced as other products. There is definately no magic products out there but there are some brilliantly designed, engineered and made ones. including my own.

so get an open mind and watch out because the future and what we are slowly manufacturing is going to truly revolutionise the world of refinishing
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login