Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Business sense needed: Some assembly required

Posted by XxBiGdIrTyxX 
Business sense needed: Some assembly required
October 06, 2010 09:46PM
Hello,

New to the forum, and trying to get an auto detail business off the ground and running. Was wondering if any of you professionals would share with me some advice/information on pricing, services, etc. Im not sure what to charge, Im not sure how long a one-man operation will last, and i'm trying to make the convienice of my customers number one by offering at-home service. I'm a college kid, just trying to pay bills, and add to my investment portfolio. Any suggestions, comments, advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Re: Business sense needed: Some assembly required
October 07, 2010 01:51AM
I would think that the amount you can charge depends on where you are and how much competition you have. Here in northern Montana the going rate is between 125 and 175 for complete details. Of course some are more money and some are easier money, always try to charge as much as you can and do the best job you can and things should work out. Dont forget to cover your ass out there, insurance is expensive but a must as are proper tools to do the job within a reasonable amount of time. How do you plan to shampoo the carpets and seats? Have you a warm climate that will allow the cars to dry rapidly without stinking? Do you plan to wash them, if so are there any regulations or laws that would prohibit water running into the street? Are you going to wax the car? If so do you have a portable tent for shade? Power, water, drainage are all things to consider. I am not an expert on mobile service as I work from a fixed location, but perhaps this post will grease the tracks for posts from others. Godd luck to you!
October 07, 2010 03:21AM
The real question is, "what are you qualified to do to the car?"

What are you calling "detailing?"

Washing, vacuuming, cleaning windows and waxing?

Will you use a rotary buffer with compounds and cutting pads to correct all types of paint finish problems?

Followed by the buffer, polishing pad and swirl remover

Finally topped off with a wax or paint sealant for protection?

Will you have a heated soil extractor to clean carpets and fabric seats/?

What about engines? You going to clean them? Do you have a pressure washer?

What about the waste water from cleaning engines or at the least washing the car? How will you contain that water and remove it?

You know it is against the Federal Law which applies in all States to discharge waste water on to the ground or into the storm sewer.

Let us know what you plan to do in your detail business.

Bud Abraham
October 11, 2010 09:06PM
Oh no, I havent worked up to the big-boy stuff yet. I'm just in it to wash, wax, vaccuum, etc. Yes, I am very aware of sewer laws, but thank you for mentioning that. Perhaps is wasnt as forefront in my mind as possible. What kind of "containing" procedures would you suggest?
October 11, 2010 09:11PM
If you wash a car for commercial purposes you will have to contain waste water. Cheapest way is a vinyl containment mat
October 11, 2010 09:47PM
Where could one get a mat at?
October 12, 2010 05:53AM
We sell them, call Sharie at 800 284 0123 Ext 3. Tell her I said to call.

Bud Abraham
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login