Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Response to my email about Opti-Coat

Posted by billd55 
Response to my email about Opti-Coat
April 14, 2011 06:59PM
Pro-Techt recently made this comment to me:If you were to try it(Opti-Coat), you wouldn't be hyping AT-5 any longer. Well, since he has not tried AT-5 just as Bud either they continue to make statements like this.

Well,before I buy or try a detailing product I like to ask questions, so I decided to contact Opti-Coat, since it costs 50 bucks per application.

First the CEO states:We have tested Opti-Coat for over 7 years. This coating has better scratch and mar resistance, better UV resistance, and better chemical resistance than factory clearcoats.

OK, what makes it better and how much protection does it offer? What tests were used? This is a very vague statement.

Since it is a coating, you only need to apply it once and as long as you do not polish it off, it will remain and protect the paint system and other surfaces it is applied to.(quote from CEO)

My concern with this product is bonding.It appears that this product could be buffed off which could lead to flaws from it and more coats.Also, he states this:
Before applying Opti-Coat, the surface needs to be free of any defects or the defects will be trapped under the coating. Any wax or oil also should be removed or it will affect the bonding.

The idea is protecting the clear and not smothering it with a coating.This concept
may work well when painting a stucco wall, but not necessarily for a clear coat.
Why, what makes waxes and polysealants inferior is that they break down and cause
swirls with no protection qualities.Now this product is different. It does protect the exiting clear by bonding a new layer over the existing one.Is this better? I am not sure.

What if this product is not around in a couple of years, and let's say Opti-Coat starts to separate from the existing clearcoat,and wet sanding plus compounding are necessary to remove it.What are you going to do then? Go back to waxes and poly sealants to add shine?

AT-5 has been around since the late 80's, and it is still sold today. It will
provide total protection backed by real tests, and a wavier does not have to be signed before buying it. Plus removing it only requires a wax remover.

I do not hype products that I do not use, nor do make comments about ones I
have little or no experience with either. I ask questions from the manufacture,
and then decide whether if their products are worth trying.

Dear Mr. Daley:

Thank you for your email and your interest in Opti-Coat. We have tested Opti-Coat for over 7 years. This coating has better scratch and mar resistance, better UV resistance, and better chemical resistance than factory clearcoats. Since it is a coating, you only need to apply it once and as long as you do not polish it off, it will remain and protect the paint system and other surfaces it is applied to.

Before applying Opti-Coat, the surface needs to be free of any defects or the defects will be trapped under the coating. Any wax or oil also should be removed or it will affect the bonding. Let me know if I can be of further assistance. Thanks again.

Best Regards,
David Ghodoussi, CEO
Optimum Polymer Technologies, Inc
Phone: (901) 363-4955
Fax: (901) 363-4956

----- Original Message -----
To: info@optimumcarcare.com
Sent: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 8:56 AM
Subject: Opti-Coat

Hello
I would like more info on your Opti-Coat product.

First, what protection does it offer for UV rays, salt, bugs,
treesap? Will this product prevent damage from these things? Do swirl marks occur with this product if it is not washed properly?

Second, has your company done any testing for this
product.

Third, how often does this product need to be applied,
and what are the steps required.

Thanks
Bill Daley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2011 09:34PM by billd55.
Re: Response to my email about Opti-Coat
April 15, 2011 01:50AM
Bill, any major vehicle manufacturer would welcome such a product, after they did their health and world wide safety testing.
They would then assign a paint engineer to work with their paint suppliers to conduct very involved, protocal approved, tests.
I know of only one "paint sealant" where this has been done, and Gina has a copy of the results of the test.
No bull, just facts are what is going to allow you to find your way to the Holy Grail.
April 15, 2011 02:41AM
Now Bill, don't go off on an unrelated tangent to dance around your original questions that I clearly answered. I'd appreciate if you avoid backpeddling by diverting my replies and questions like you have a habit of doing.

billd55
My concern with this product is bonding. It appears that this product could be buffed off which could lead to flaws from it and more coats.

How does the removeability of this product lead to flaws? If anything I’d feel more comfortable that this product can be removed *if needed*. Once on the surface, why would anyone want to remove it?

billd55
The idea is protecting the clear and not smothering it with a coating.This concept
may work well when painting a stucco wall, but not necessarily for a clear coat.

Your thinking is flawed if you feel this product will smoother the paint! Unlike 99.9% of waxes & sealants, OC can safely be applied to a freshly painted surface without interfering with its curing/outgassing. Can your miracle sealant do that?

billd55
What if this product is not around in a couple of years, and let's say Opti-Coat starts to separate from the existing clearcoat,and wet sanding plus compounding are necessary to remove it.What are you going to do then? Go back to waxes and poly sealants to add shine?

You just answered your own question. OC doesn’t separate from the surface. The only way you can remove is by abrading it away.

billd55
AT-5 has been around since the late 80's, and it is still sold today. It will
provide total protection backed by real tests, and a wavier does not have to be signed before buying it. Plus removing it only requires a wax remover.

You’re dreaming if you think AT-5 offers “total protection”. How long the company that’s sells it has been around means nothing. There’s tons of products/companies that have been around for decades that are garbage.

FYI: there’s 2 versions of Opti-Coat. The Professional version(that requires a waiver) and the 2.0 version that is available to non-Pros(like you). The main thing that differentiates each one is application cure time. The Pro version dries much quicker that the 2.0 version. 2.0 allows for more user error during the application if such occurs. The products wipes on the surface and doesn’t get removed like traditional waxes/sealants. If needed, you gently use a microfiber towel to “even out” any possible streaking or heaviness. Probably the easiest to use paint protectant on the market.
April 15, 2011 12:35PM
Ron
From what I can see from my study of Opti-Coat is that it is a better clear coat that is applied over the existing one for better protection.Well, my question is this.Why do'nt paint manufactures just apply Opti-Coat over the base coat in the first place if it is so much better?IMO that prevents any possible bonding problems.

I asked the CEO for actual test results showing it was better than existing clears
used today.Bud ragged on me for test results for AT-5,so why should I or anyone else expect less from Opti-Coat.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2011 03:04PM by billd55.
April 15, 2011 12:41PM
Bill - you're referring to 2 different products. Opti-Seal(sealant) & Opti-Coat(coating).

Paint manufacturers could care less about an additional product that could protect their finishes. Especially when they officially don't recommend using waxes/sealants. The quicker their finishes wear out, the more they make on the back end.
April 15, 2011 02:37PM
Pro-Techt
"Now Bill, don't go off on an unrelated tangent to dance around your original questions that I clearly answered. I'd appreciate if you avoid backpeddling by diverting my replies and questions like you have a habit of doing".

Answering your questions gives me a headache. Are you serious with this question?
How does the removeability of this product lead to flaws? If anything I’d feel more comfortable that this product can be removed *if needed*. Once on the surface, why would anyone want to remove it?

First, this is a new product which is backed up with only claims of testing for
for seven years. Second, a wavier needs to be signed.Hello! that means if there
is a problem, do'nt blame Opti-Coat.

I remember a very similar product marketed by in the 90's called "Touchless "
that was much like this product. It to used a sponge to apply a clearcoat liquid
on paint that was sold to non pro's like me on TV. Well, I can only mention several cars brought to me because when it dried had runs that were a pure nightmare to smooth out. Even with wet sanding and a lot of polishing it was never truly right.

Also, what if all waxes and oils are not removed properly? The CEO clearly
states that could be a problem. Since non pros like me are clearly idiots
who knows what could happen.

Re: glass coatings
Posted by: Pro-Techt (IP Logged)
Date: March 29, 2011 11:43PM

Optimum Opti-Coat has been on my car (1/2 of it actually) for almost 16 months and is still like the day I applied it. I wash weekly with Dawn and monthly through Touchless automatics. The car is parked outside and has been exposed to harsh S. Florida weather. Can't say anything bad about it other than it's most likely pretty difficult to remove if I was going to do that.

"Once on the surface, why would anyone want to remove it? " Well, if there is a
reason you admit:Can't say anything bad about it other than it's most likely pretty difficult to remove if I was going to do that. You will not have this
problem with AT-5.

Your thinking is flawed if you feel this product will smoother the paint! Unlike 99.9% of waxes & sealants, OC can safely be applied to a freshly painted surface without interfering with its curing/outgassing. Can your miracle sealant do that?

Once again you do not have a clue what I am talking about.This product is a
paint.Whether you are spraying it on, or applying it by hand it is a new layer.
Yes, it is protecting the existing clear, but it is still clear paint that that
can wear down.

Now, open your mind here. Since you will not be applying waxes and poly sealants
over this product, then more than likely swirls will not be a problem and correction either.

Although, it is a sure bet that people will apply wax over it for more shine or for some other reason. Swirls will occur and correction will be needed which will wear the Opti-Coat.

OC can safely be applied to a freshly painted surface without interfering with its curing/outgassing. Can your miracle sealant do that? Of course it can.
Why? Over time Opti-Seal will loose it's shine and luster from the elements.
For the same reason people apply wax over a sealant, they will do the same
with Opti-Coat.AT-5 would be a much better choice to be used to restore shine and luster because it will bond to the Opti-Coat without the side effects of wax.

By far this statement shows how closed minded you really are:You’re dreaming if you think AT-5 offers “total protection”.

Well, I would not put a product on a new car that has no real testing to back up anything,and then wants me to sign a wavier.Also, by only applying it to half your car shows you are not sure it really works either.

Much like Bud you continue to make statements with zero facts, and justify them with this crap:

I've replied to every one of your claims and you've done nothing but make yourself look like the CRAZY "hack" Detailer you're claiming others are. How can you even call yourself a Detailer when you don't even use a polisher? You're just like the Hack Wash N Waxers that flood this state with poor quality work due to blatant ignorance. Just because you go around waxing people's cars doesn't make you a Detailer. Wake up and start learning from the people who know instead of thinking you have the miracle cure for paint. Peddle your crap at the car shows and state fairs to the people who don't know better. Good luck.

Please explain to me how you are qualified to make this statement:You’re dreaming if you think AT-5 offers “total protection”Now Pro-Techt, don't go off on an unrelated tangent to dance around this question. I'd appreciate if you avoid backpeddling by diverting your replies and questions like you have a habit of doing.

Your ego is really getting old, and maybe one day you may realize you are not the
pro you think you are. When you make statements like this:Being also from South Florida (east), I can also say that 99% of the “Detailers” in the entire state don’t have any more of a clue to the characteristics of what a well preserved vehicle looks like any more than the car owners they serve. makes my point.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2011 02:04PM by billd55.
April 15, 2011 05:18PM
Maybe this is the salvation for the correction junkies, so they can continue
using their drug, wax.They can keep applying Opti-Coat to prevent burning through
the clearcoat. It will be like the the old stage 1 paints where you could take
layers off to correct the damage from the elements and scratches.I have to admit this is protection, but a lot of extra work.
May 01, 2011 05:27PM
Bill-
Waxes and poly sealants do not, as you claim, " break down and cause swirls ". Not in reality, anyway, and I put a lot of stock in reality.

Doug
May 01, 2011 11:23PM
Waxes and poly sealants do not, as you claim, " break down and cause swirls "

Doug
Why do'nt you explain why they do'nt?

Quote from you:

If the defects are only hidden , the defects will reappear if the wax/sealant/polish/glaze is stripped away by commercial car washing, road salt, paint prep products etc.

Quote from you:

Not in reality, anyway, and I put a lot of stock in reality.

Do you have a clue what you are saying?
May 02, 2011 12:53AM
Bill:
Now you expect me to explain why waxes and sealants don't do something ? The burden of proof is on you, as you made the absurd allegation that they " break down and cause swirls ".

Your selective quoting out of context does not deserve an answer.

And, yes I have some vague idea what I am saying. You, however, never admit you are wrong despite being refuted thoroughly by various people on here.
May 02, 2011 11:59AM
Doug

Yes I do. If you are so sure my silly claims are wrong, then please explain why?

you never admit you are wrong despite being refuted thoroughly by various people on here.

Just because you and many others do not believe what I am saying does not mean I am wrong.Sorry, I do not follow the pack like you.
May 05, 2011 12:53AM
Bill :
People have given you logical reasons why wax cannot cause scratches and swirls. You have ignored those explanations and continued to use this scare tactic to promote your product.
May 05, 2011 11:33AM
Quote from Doug:
People have given you logical reasons why wax cannot cause scratches and swirls.

Than what does cause the the scratches and swirls? The only one I have heard is improper washing methods?

Why is it said not to wash a vehicle that has wax on it because it will strip the wax? Why do correction detailer"s use a harsh soap in every instance as a first step.BECAUSE IT WILL REMOVE THE WAX!

Washing with dawn does not remove all the wax, so the swirls and fine scratches
are caused by the washing and drying process.

If you have a better explanation besides "bunk", please share it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login