Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Re: Why are so many Detailing Businesses Failing or having difficulty

Posted by billd55 
March 18, 2011 01:31PM
One reason why businesses are failing is the economy, but not the main reason.
It was said earlier that:Like Ron and Bud stated above, we need to adapt to changing times with a new marketing strategy.I am really confused by that statement.What is the new thing you plan to offer that requires marketing?

I have a degree in Marketing so I think I am qualified to speak on this subject.
Marketing consists of four things; 1- Product 2- Price 3-Promotion 4-Place.
The product is basically the same( correction and waxing). The price can vary,but usually it goes down because detailers struggle to get and keep customers. The promotion is expensive and time consuming.The place is a fixed location or a mobile operation.

Everyone in this business thinks there is a magical new to strategy to become
successful in the detailing business. Some think it requires an expensive machine to clean fabric and carpets.Others think a great location or a mobile operation,or a cheap price along with expensive advertising.Although,there is nothing about these ideas that are new or different.

How about changing the product? It really goes back to the article I posted about
the female detailer who asked on another forum if there was a wax that would not
streak when applied over a teflon sealant.WHAT I AM SAYING IS THIS:YOU ALL TALK
ABOUT STAYING UP WITH THE CHANGING TIMES, BUT YOU CONTINUE TO USE PRODUCTS AND
METHODS THAT ARE OUTDATED.

In TOWGT's article I posted he states this:in the final analysis it all comes down to; 85% preparation, 5% product, 7% application . This may be true for the existing products used by most of you. Although for me the product is everything.
Sure prep and application are also important.

Many of you feel you need to train your customers. They have to wash their car a certain way,or it should be noted that any wax subjected to an acidic attack (bird excrement, etc) must be removed without delay otherwise the paint surface will be compromised.

I am not trying to pick on gina or anyone here, but honestly the answer is not that complicated.When times were good people had money to waste on expensive
details. Today, they do not.Even the rich are cutting back.

My advice will more than likely go on deaf ears,but why not offer a product that your customer mite want. Sometime that requires normal washing, offers true real
protection, a awesome shine, and lasts a year.WHAT AM I THINKING! WHAT CUSTOMER WOULD WANT THAT APPLIED TO THEIR VEHICLE?

Gina you ask this:.why is it with the millions of vehicles out there on the roads who need our services... detailing businesses have such a hard time attracting customers.

MY ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION IS THAT WHY DO YOU ASSUME THEY NEED YOUR SERVICE OR THE OTHERS OUT THERE? IF THEY DID YOU WOULD NOT BE POSTING THIS.ASSUMING WHAT
YOUR CUSTOMER WANTS AND NEEDS ARE IS THE KISS OF DEATH.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2011 01:38PM by billd55.
May 02, 2011 01:24AM
Good grief ! If the answer were the best products, everyone would use Zaino !
May 02, 2011 08:29AM
product is much more than 5% but its not everything

My question is - Why would anyone want to put a wax over a sealant. Theres no point. It has no positive effect really and the wax probably wont bond either

And Zaino isnt the best product. its just amino resin like many other products.
May 02, 2011 01:09PM
Svr

My question is - Why would anyone want to put a wax over a sealant. Theres no point. It has no positive effect really and the wax probably wont bond either

And Zaino isnt the best product. its just amino resin like many other products.

Finally, someone with a brain! Svr, clearly you have vision, and are not like the
zombies following the pack to the next repackaged sealant.

Your glass coating product makes sense for one good reason. It repairs the damage
and not covers it up.
May 05, 2011 12:42AM
Bill :
People put wax over a sealant to add depth and a little more durability.

I prefer multiple coats of Zaino.

And SVR : I was half kidding about Zaino being the best product as I have never tested the stuff you use for comparison.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login