Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Will IPA remove silicone sealant?

Posted by Profile Detailer 
Will IPA remove silicone sealant?
August 14, 2011 11:36AM
As title question asks... will IPA remove a sealant from paint or can you recommend anything that can be sprayed?
Re: Will IPA remove silicone sealant?
August 15, 2011 02:49AM
The only thing that will remove silicone from a painted surface is a silicone remover.

You can check with a body shop supply company they sell such a chemical that body shops use to insure they have the silicone off a vehicle paint they are going to repaint.

Regards
Bud Abraham

What is IPA???
August 15, 2011 08:44AM
Thanks, Bud. I will check that at the local suppliers. IPA is Isopropyl Alcohol.
August 25, 2011 05:17PM
Profile-
IPA does not seem to remove sealants completely ( I tried it ). To find out for sure, I think we should apply sealant to a chalky old single-stage paint panel and try to remove it with IPA. If the chalky appearance returns, the IPA removed the sealant. Keep in mind that some sealants may be more resistant to IPA than others.

Body shops use Prepsol or AcriliKleen ( from PPG ) . Some people question whether these two products are good for the paint ( a non-issue for a body shop that is preparing a car for repainting ). I have played around with AcriliKleen and urge you to read the label warnings on health and safety before buying it.

Griot's Garage makes Paint Prep, a detergent product that strips the finish of all wax and sealant. It is expensive and labor intensive but it works. I used it contrary to instructions and wax remained in some areas ( I was stripping California Gold Original, which has silicone in it ).

Zaino recommends washing with Dawn original dish liquid for stripping the finish. I am not sure this removes every trace, though.

APCs such as Simple Green and Meguiar's All Purpose Plus might do the job...

Normally, buffing with a polish such as Zaino Fuzion, Griot's #3 or Meguiar's #9 will remove sealant, though maybe not completely.
Hope that is a help.
Doug

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2011 05:19PM by Doug Delmont.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login