Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

type of paint

Posted by turboman 
type of paint
December 26, 2001 01:49PM
Greetings to all; recently I detailed a 740i BMW (black) The finish was in great condition. the owner just wanted to get a coat of wax on it before winter. sounds like a nice easy job, right? Since it didn't need a polish, I gave it a good hand wash then followed it up with our Gloss preserver. They tell me it is better then Carnuba, since it has polymers in it. Well, as I was rubbing it off, I couldn't get it to look clean. It left smudge marks, and all it seemed I was doing was rubbing it around not off. After hours of rubbing (way too much time) I got it looking ok, but no where near how it should be, so I started asking more quetions. Someone told me that the paint used on German cars does not react well at all to polymer type of waxes. Has anyone else had that kind of problems before? if so, what wax do you use. Thanks.......so to be a turbo...GT...........!

Re: type of paint
December 26, 2001 04:34PM
You are very correct with using some polymers on the German paints such as your black BMW. You will avoid getting these smudges if you start using the P21S paint cleaner & also the P21S wax for these types of paints.

No matter how the finished look prior to your wax application, we always use a paint cleaner followed up with using this wax process. You are giving the wax something to bite on & showing more depth & clarity as if you hadn't used a cleaner prior to before.
December 26, 2001 04:58PM
they say the paints are finicky, but i havn't had a problem that i can't fix. use very little product and give alot of time for it to "set up". if this doesn't work, try the orbital polisher for application and removal. like toddco said, it is very important to follow up with a pre-cleaner or glaze. it is not easy to work with all polymer products by hand. and if you insist on doing it by hand, pick up a little quick detailer spray.
December 26, 2001 05:25PM
ok, now I show my ignorance...what is p21s????? and where do I find it?

December 26, 2001 08:08PM
The P21S that you are referring to can be obtained at www.properautocare.com

This company has a lot of sucess with their laboratory test on each specific product. Their chemist are German & really know the german products for the german paints.
December 27, 2001 01:25AM
turboman,don't feel bad! i can't keep up with half the products myself! everyday something new is out.
Dan
December 27, 2001 04:14AM
Another great German product is Klasse All in one and I have not had any problems with paint, clear plastic, GLASS, and metals. Its great stuff. have yet to try PS125 or whatever.
December 27, 2001 07:26PM
dan, you'll like the shine,but not the durablilty. good garage car stuff or every other week wax. i am using it on top of my mom's paint now with a base layer of polymer sealant. easy on/easy off. expensive-but cheaper than zymol.
Dan
December 28, 2001 10:17AM
The Cleaners in the klasse Im pretty sure will strip your base polymer protection, I would apply the polymer sealant over the Klasse if you feel like it. I haenthad any probems with durability. 4 months later and it looks great. It really is a different type of sealant though. Do you notice the paint doesnt feel the same as with a polymer. I bet the stuff is still on there and you dont know it. I will still keep using it. Less car washing scratches and no dust, I cant complain.
December 28, 2001 04:37PM
dan, sorry. i was talking about the p21s wax. not the klasse. i know you already use this stuff and like it. it really is hard to find someone that doesn't like it. when i get around to using the klasse, i'm going to try both the aio and the sg with multiple layers of both applied over a few day or weeks.
December 28, 2001 05:11PM
ok..i just ordered the p21s....i will try it out......now i need a different wax for every type of car..i better put an addition on...BECAUSE MY WIFE WILL KICK ME OUT SOON

December 29, 2001 04:25AM
You're better off getting better results than with the wife, been there, done that, keep the chin up!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login